I wouldn’t be surprised if Matthews won the Art Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
The difference is this season Matthews has never started with 5 goals in his first 3 games.
Calm down. Yes he's playing better than he ever has. He went keep up this pace obviously but assuming no injury I'm expecting a 50/50 season.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I said a week or two ago he'd be close to 50 goals 50 assists this year.

Feeling pretty good about that.

You think tavares or marner scores 110 points or something?

I think Marner will lead the Leafs with somewhere around 95 points

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Calm down. Yes he's playing better than he ever has. He went keep up this pace obviously but assuming no injury I'm expecting a 50/50 season.
I'm just pointing out that Matthews never scored in the Leafs first 3 games of the season during the first two years of his career. Obviously his 4 goal debut was amazing and he didn't score his next goal until their 5th game. Last season he scored 1 goal in their opener vs Winnipeg and his next goal was in their 3rd game when he scored in overtime against the Blackhawks.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's been 3 games. And the league's extremely high in scoring at this point in time. Of course, it's a good thing to be able to build a head start at this point.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
But he started with 4 in 1 and still wasn't anywhere close to the Ross.
In his ROOKIE season?

He was ppg last year despite playing many injured. He's had her starts in the past. Last years was derailed by injury. He's in his third season, third from draft. Anyone who has paid attention know that once he was given the ice by Babcock and the way he's been developing knows 50 goals and 100 points isnt unrealistic. I'm not saying he's going to keep this pace and score 200 or anything.

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
Matthews still has to improve if he want's to be an Art Ross winner. There are players that are more capable and proven playing right now. At this moment McDavid, Crosby, Mackinnon and Kuch are a lot more likely to win it than Matthews. Leafs are such a deep team that it's hard to believe that anyone from the current roster would ever win it just because you basically have 3 first lines.

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
In his ROOKIE season?

He was ppg last year despite playing many injured. He's had her starts in the past. Last years was derailed by injury. He's in his third season, third from draft. Anyone who has paid attention know that once he was given the ice by Babcock and the way he's been developing knows 50 goals and 100 points isnt unrealistic. I'm not saying he's going to keep this pace and score 200 or anything.

Even if he had played a full season with a ppg pace it wouldn't have been nearly enough. To win the Art Ross in today's NHL you'll have to score likely more than 100 points since McDavid can do it pretty much every year.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
if staying healthy probably top3, wouldn't be surprised if he misses 20+ games due to back problems, fatigue etc. you name it.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Even if he had played a full season with a ppg pace it wouldn't have been nearly enough. To win the Art Ross in today's NHL you'll have to score likely more than 100 points since McDavid can do it pretty much every year.
Sure. But again:
- he wasn't great those games he was playing injured. He wasnt producing much.
- it appears he will be getting more PP time this year.
- his pace was 85 points and 45 goals despite the above two facts.

It's not a stretch to say that with a healthy year, more PP time (and ice in general), another year of development, he ups that pace. And 95 to 100 points is not that much a better pace.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Leaf fans should be more concerned about their team's defense that was already a big question mark heading into the season. Giving up a combined 10(not counting the Sens empty netter) goals to bottom teams like the Sens and Hawks will not erase those thoughts. That made Chabot look like Bobby Orr.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
His shots score at 50%, how long will that last.

Despite all his points he's only +1, how does that help.
Once they lose more games Babcock need to change the system.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
In all seriousness he could be a top 5-10 defensive forward who is also a top scoring forward which should put him in selke discussions and if the leafs ever won the cup he would win the Conn Smythe and should he stay healthy he could win the rocket.

Oh yeah - I think he will be right up there with the best, and I have nothing against him or the Leafs. As an expat- Canadian I'd love to see a Canadian team win a Stanley Cup.
It's the Leafs fans who make me roll my eyes. And I get it - 51 years is a long time. But there's a lot to be said for humility - and it's sorely lacking among Leafs fans on HF Boards.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He is currently leading in total points.

2jmgt8.jpg

Lol also played more games than a lot of players.

We’re not even a week in.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Hey buddy! How are you tonight?

Yea, Matthews been great. I feel like he hasn't quite hit his stride at all those. He's been dominant but not overly so as he usually is. He definitely misses Nylander.

Haha im good thanks :) how are yoou??

Guys a beast he is producing at a realllllly good pace so far. So far he is in for a monster year. Hope my boi laine can keep up :p

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Scoring to start seasons is always high, when your team is averaging 4.33 per game and your PP starts ridiculously hot, your totals will be inflated a little bit. Let's see where he is after 40 before talking Art Ross.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
His shots score at 50%, how long will that last.

Despite all his points he's only +1, how does that help.
Once they lose more games Babcock need to change the system.

5-on-5 he is actually -1. +4 -5 = -1. Also rel. Corsi% -10.88%

But that's 3 games and very atypical for him. He has been really good for his first couple of seasons about winning his own game.

Let's call sample size, shall we?

I did watch most of the Montreal game, and actually I think Montreal was miles better than Toronto, but just had so much worse goalie. That explains most of the AM's bad Corsi.

To answer the implied question by OP: I would be a bit surprised if Matthews won the Art Ross instead of McDavid, but not really surprised if he finished TOP-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad