I wouldn’t be surprised if Matthews won the Art Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That’s somewhat true.

I mean we’ll never know and I usually knock off hypotheticals like I’ve heard Oiles fans (in person) say well if we just would of won in the shootout we’d be in the playoffs and I said “well yeah you could say thAt about almost every team.”

But while we have no idea what could of happened, maybe it’s the final minute and the hawks try and win their home opener in the final minute because they’ve had to come from behind the last two games? We don’t know but what you said isn’t hard to believe.
Until tonight when was the last time a team ties the game playing 6v5, the other team scores to re-take the lead and the game gets tied again once again playing 6v5 for the second time? So I'm confident in saying if Matthews never makes it 6-5 for the Leafs chances are the game still goes to overtime with that 5-5 score.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
the palpable anger that fills any positive leafs thread is always amusing.

They haven’t played one good game yet against three non playoff teams.

It’s not anger it’s premature praise and over-exposure. There are no awards given out for most points in the first half week of the season and it’s threads like this that end up getting bumped at Christmas time once he cools off. Which even you know is going to happen.

That being said he’s been amazing., don’t know where the leafs would be right now without him in these three games.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Bahaha all the Leafs fans - 3 games in and Matthews is winning the Art Ross, the Rocket Richard, and the Hart.

He kind of needs to score that many goals and points to make up for the number of leads his team blows and the amount of goals they are allowing.

Even funnier - the saviour of the Toronto Maple Leafs isn't even a Canadian. Pure Gold!

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Until tonight when was the last time a team ties the game playing 6v5, the other team scores to re-take the lead and the game gets tied again once again playing 6v5 for the second time? So I'm confident in saying if Matthews never makes it 6-5 for the Leafs chances are the game still goes to overtime with that 5-5 score.

Didn’t I just say it was likely true and while I usually don’t agree with hypotheticals I’d buy this. What is this constant arguing and needing to defend that in which does not need defending?

Besides I just like you don’t have every nhl game in history nor would i keep track of a star like that by memory right in front of me of what haS and had not happened.

Plus the past isn’t always an indication of the future anyway.

Bahaha all the Leafs fans - 3 games in and Matthews is winning the Art Ross, the Rocket Richard, and the Hart.

He kind of needs to score that many goals and points to make up for the number of leads his team blows and the amount of goals they are allowing.

Even funnier - the saviour of the Toronto Maple Leafs isn't even a Canadian. Pure Gold!

He’s winning the selke and conn smythe too. Per marek kyrpeos Cox and McLean who all said the selke on hockey central. Lol

In all seriousness he could be a top 5-10 defensive forward who is also a top scoring forward which should put him in selke discussions and if the leafs ever won the cup he would win the Conn Smythe and should he stay healthy he could win the rocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heath

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I have to admit it, this guy is actually insanely good. Like he keeps outdoing my expectations. Wasn't it at one point 50/50 between him going to Montreal or Toronto? ****

I actually think MTL had a higher % after the first 3 balls were drawn. Leafs only had the combination with ball #13 left, Sundin gave the leafs one last W

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I actually think MTL had a higher % after the first 3 balls were drawn. Leafs only had the combination with ball #13 left, Sundin gave the leafs one last W
Sportsnet did a story about that and basically based on the first three drawn ball numbers which was 6-8-5, they needed a #7 ball and instead the #13 ball for the Leafs was drawn. So they had the same % chance as the Leafs going into the final ball drawing. Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Columbus had the highest % chance to win based on the first 3 numbers that were drawn.

Canadiens draft lottery near-miss on Matthews really stings now - Sportsnet.ca

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
It’s like it’s against the law to talk about a player other then McDavid in regards to the art Ross :laugh: The safe pick is clearly Connor, but nothing is ever a lock in sports because so many variables. Oiler fans getting salty because the only positive about their team is 1 player. Too bad this isn’t tennis :laugh:

The reason is because Until Connor plays a full season where he doesent win the art ross, there’s absolutely no reason to think he won’t. I mean Matthews hasn’t come close to challenging him for it so that’s why people “laugh it off” especially after 3 games by one player against three of the weakest defenses in the NHL.

And making fun of oilers fans when they’ve played one game and the leafs have played three against non playoff teams and could of lost them all and had Got two wins over teams that finished either last or predicted to finish last in their division. The only game that ended in regulation for Toronto was a regulation loss to Ottawa. I think the fact the leafs still have two wins in three games is telling considering they haven’t been very good in any of them as Babcock has said.

They are a great team.

I’m ok with the Matthews praise and some of the leaf praise but at least wait until the oilers play a game on this continent before they get bashed about this season.

Reactions: Frosty415

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Didn’t I just say it was likely true and while I usually don’t agree with hypotheticals I’d buy this. What is this constant arguing and needing to defend that in which does not need defending?

Besides I just like you don’t have every nhl game in history nor would i keep track of a star like that by memory right in front of me of what haS and had not happened.

Plus the past isn’t always an indication of the future anyway.
LOL, actually I don't remember every single game in history and various stats. For example when I mentioned Matthews not scoring his 5th goal until the 5th game of his rookie season I looked that up on Hockey Reference.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He’s injury prone so let’s wait until at least the midpoint mark in the season and see if his shoulder has fallen apart
During the Leafs first game Matthews got hit from behind and it looked like the stick from the Canadiens player also hit him in the head, however thankfully he was not injured and scored the winning goal in overtime.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
The reason is because Until Connor plays a full season where he doesent win the art ross, there’s absolutely no reason to think he won’t. I mean Matthews hasn’t come close to challenging him for it so that’s why people “laugh it off” especially after 3 games by one player against three of the weakest defenses in the NHL.

And making fun of oilers fans when they’ve played one game and the leafs have played three against non playoff teams and could of lost them all and had Got two wins over teams that finished either last or predicted to finish last in their division. The only game that ended in regulation for Toronto was a regulation loss to Ottawa. I think the fact the leafs still have two wins in three games is telling considering they haven’t been very good in any of them as Babcock has said.

They are a great team.

I’m ok with the Matthews praise and some of the leaf praise but at least wait until the oilers play a game on this continent before they get bashed about this season.

It’s Canadian Thanksgiving and I am thankful for you uncle Jack.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthews has played 147 of 167 games since entering the league. He's far from injury prone

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Bookmarking this thread for when Matthews doesn't win.

My god man.. it's literally 3 games in. He has 8 points.

OK.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Didn’t he start off like this last year as well? Like 10 unreal games and then...

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I don't even expect him to lead his team in points
I said a week or two ago he'd be close to 50 goals 50 assists this year.

Feeling pretty good about that.

You think tavares or marner scores 110 points or something?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I mean I don't even have a horse in the race and honestly nothing against Matthews. [mod]

Hopefully he will never win a trophy, individual or not simply because this place would be even more unbearable.
I mean, there are people that get unbearable when Karlsson doesn't win a trophy, despite him not deserving it at all. Just some people though. You get them crying about Canadian bias. It's really obnoxious.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Didn’t he start off like this last year as well? Like 10 unreal games and then...
He started pretty hot then dealt with various injuries for most of the season, missing 20 games and never really getting back into top form.

This year he looks to be playing at a higher level than we've ever seen from him. Pretty typical for players of his caliber to start approaching their full potential in their 3rd/4th seasons.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I mean I don't even have a horse in the race and honestly nothing against Matthews. [mod]

Hopefully he will never win a trophy, individual or not simply because this place would be even more unbearable.
You do remember that Matthews has already won the Calder Trophy and last time I checked it was an individual trophy.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
lol its been 3 games. He will have trouble breaking 70 let alone art ross. Leafs fans love using small sample sizes when it suits them but when u use a playoff series to criticise him than "iT wAs a sMalL SaMpLe sIzE"
He will score close to 100 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad