I wouldn’t be surprised if Matthews won the Art Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No buffalo was just terrible. They didn't have the offensive support that Toronto did either. The top defensive units were allowed to focus on Eichel all the time. Eichel also didn't get the benefit of playing with 2 50 point puck moving defensemen.

As for the bolded, maybe I should count the goals scored when A.M was out of the lineup and toronto posted that 100 point pace.

Please do. Please take your time to dig up something completely irrelevant.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Please do. Please take your time to dig up something completely irrelevant.
Its actually pretty impressive. Toronto scored at a 310 goal per year pace with AM in the lineup, about a 12%boost.

242 goals for in the 64 games he made an appearance in. You still think its irrelevant though?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Actually, the two have been pretty similar over the previous 2yrs.

16/17-17/18 (including playoffs)

Malkin: A- qoc, 2.64p60, 2.31p160, +1.2cfrel, +0.3xgfrel (PP 7.26p60, 4.56p160)
Matthews: A- qoc, 2.53p60, 2.30p160, +1.5cfrel, +2.9xgfrel (PP 5.83p60, 4.17p160)

of course, that includes Matthews' rookie season.
what site do you use for these stats? I find corsica hard to navigate

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Its actually pretty impressive. Toronto scored at a 310 goal per year pace with AM in the lineup, about a 12%boost.

242 goals for in the 64 games he made an appearance in. You still think its irrelevant though?

Yeah, it's irrelevant. While you're at it, I'd love for you to look up Detroit's stats when Datsyuk was injured and Pittsburgh's stats when Crosby was injured.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
They are all high scoring teams that are involved in high scoring games which help pad offensive stats.
You guys are so set on displaying how crippling Matthews situation is you forget how good he has it too. When your team scores 275 goals a year, your best players will rack up points.

That team ain't scoring 275 goals without one of the super-elite p60 players in the league leading the way, though.

And it's hard to take the teammate argument seriously when HFboards continually tells us all our players aren't nearly as good as the ones in the same roles on other teams.

here's his top 10 linemates so far in his career 5v5:

Hyman 1766:48
Nylander 1342:55
Gardiner 1000:55
Zaitsev 714:57
Rielly 634:22
Brown 515:43
Carrick 479:02
Polak 419:10
Hainsey 309:03
Hunwick 283:55

with nobody else reaching 200.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah, it's irrelevant. While you're at it, I'd love for you to look up Detroit's stats when Datsyuk was injured and Pittsburgh's stats when Crosby was injured.
Buffalo's offensive output did not change at all when Eichel was hurt. 167GF in 69 gp

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If McDavid had Matthews stats thus far in his career and Oilers fans used the word generational or said he was better than Crosby or Malkin, they would get laughed off this message board by me and everyone else.

We had this guy named Kessel, and hfboards told us every day that their players with many, many fewer points were much better than him.

every day.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
It's all about the ice time though.

100% guaranteed Matthews wins it if Babcock makes him play 60 minutes every game.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Very unlikely that Nylander gets 7, he'll sign for 6-6.6 IMO. And Kucherov just got 9 million for his 100 point season, so unless Marner hits that, he won't be signing for 10, more likely 8-9. Your overestimating your numbers. And even if the Leafs end up paying those guys that much, it means that Matthews is a 90-100 point center, Marner is a 90-100 point winger and obviously you still have a franchise center in Tavares and a potential ppg winger in Nylander. If that's what they become to get those contracts, the Leafs don't have to worry about the rest of their offense, they can fill out of the lineup like they are with the likes of Johnsson, Kapanen, Brown, Gauthier, Bracco, Lindholm, Leivo, Grundstrom...not to mention Kadri obviously. That right there is 13 spots and outside of Kadri, are all dirt cheap. Marleau's deal also expires after next year.

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Johnsson
Leivo-Lindholm/Gauthier-Bracco

On the back end the Leafs have their best prospect in Liljegren who can hopefully replace Gardiner next year. If the Leafs can make that swap, they'll save 6 million right there. Add in Sandin as well and the Leafs back end of the future will be

Rielly-XXX
Dermott-Zaisev
Liljegren-Sandin

They won't get dismantled, as much as you want to hope. And in the case were Nylander has to be moved, they would go from a big 3 of Matthews, Nylander and Marner to Matthews, Tavares, Marner + whatever defensive upgrade they get for Nylander.
I don't hope they get dismantled lol I live in Toronto and follow them closely. I've never seen a team in the cap era spend 40m on 4 players. They don't have any prospects on ELCs to pick up the slack. Very risky IMO

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I never said their points per game increased "because" of the boost in ice time.

fact is their p60s not only didn't decrease, they not only didn't increase just "linearly", but they increased SIGNIFICANTLY.

doesn't seem like the increase in icetime had any downward effect on their p60s at all, despite everybody claiming it should.

Everybody claiming it should?

Are you reading the same thread?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't hope they get dismantled lol I live in Toronto and follow them closely. I've never seen a team in the cap era spend 40m on 4 players. They don't have any prospects on ELCs to pick up the slack. Very risky IMO

Liljegren, Bracco, Brooks, Grundstrom, Timashov are all on ELCs and on the cusp of maybe earning NHL time soon.

SDA, Durzi, Sandin also in the pipeline. As well as older guys like Borgman, Rosen, Subban, Gauthier

Leivo, Kapanen, Johnsson and Dermott are all just now sticking in the NHL and aren't likely to break the bank on their 2nd deals.

I think we'll be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad