I wouldn’t be surprised if Matthews won the Art Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
In three games. Somehow, this isn’t premature according to you?

Alright that’s enough double standards for me tonight.
You keep saying that it's three games but Leaf fans are trying to explain that since he was a top 5on 5 player last year that playing on a stacked PP with more min is starting to show that he could very well win the art Ross.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
One of the good things about this year is how obvious it is making it for everyone to see how much better Matthews is than even a legit elite #1C like Tavares.

This is pretty significant considering the way he's viewed around here. JT has always been considered a top 5, at worst top 10 C and Matthews is pretty clearly better than him, but is routinely laughed out of such discussions. I don't want to partake in art ross predictions at this point but I do think there will be a lot of crow to be eaten by year's end on Matthews, and even more empty seats at the table.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hopefully he scored 70 goals and 130 points then he can sign a 15 million dollar contract

Reactions: Coach

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
I would say if he stays healthy, he's certainly a candidate. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise when you look at his talent, his production progression from rookie to sophomore season, and now finally getting the same amount of PP time as players of similar calibre. That being said, I expect McDavid will win the Art Ross this season. On the other hand, while McDavid is in his own tier at the top, I don't exactly expect him to be winning the next 10 straight Art Ross trophies. Either McDavid gets injured, has an off season, or Matthews (or other players) gets really hot and will win some trophies over McDavid.

Sooooo...essentially I believe McDavid will be the yearly favourite. But he won't be winning them all and when he doesn't I think Matthews has as good a chance as any.

Reactions: Cor

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's not coming anywhere near the Art Ross.

He'll end up right around 80ish points. A tiny 3 game sample size doesn't change that fact.

80ish points would put him in the top 17-20 scorers in the league. I suppose it would depend on the defintion of anywhere near the award.

Thanks for the input! These are the types of predictive posts I was looking for!

Reactions: Max Money

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
80ish points would put him in the top 17-20 scorers in the league. I suppose it would depend on the defintion of anywhere near the award.

Thanks for the input! These are the types of predictive posts I was looking for!
When Jamie Benn won the Art Ross in 2015 he only had 87 points. So it's one of the rare times when it was won with less than 100 or 90 points.

Reactions: dukeofjive

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Hes insane
Hey buddy! How are you tonight?

Yea, Matthews been great. I feel like he hasn't quite hit his stride at all those. He's been dominant but not overly so as he usually is. He definitely misses Nylander.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Terrific thread, @Cor!

Gee golly, it's unfortunate that some posters are trying to derail the thread, but your composure is top class!

Matthews is a great player and he should be near the top if healthy, but I think McDavid will once again win. It should be a really fun season!

Reactions: Cor

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
By the 20 game mark, if he is still top 5 in points, he has a good chance. Until the power pay for the Oilers isn't shite, I am personally not convinced that McD will run away with it. He's the one to beat, but yeah.

Reactions: dukeofjive

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I may be wrong about this, but didn't Auston Matthews score 4 goals in his very first NHL game?
giphy.gif

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Terrific thread, @Cor!

Gee golly, it's unfortunate that some posters are trying to derail the thread, but your composure is top class!

Matthews is a great player and he should be near the top if healthy, but I think McDavid will once again win. It should be a really fun season!

I appreciate the sentiment!

I think we can all agree McDavid is the favorite, but it's always fun to discuss different candidates besides the front runner!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I think we can all agree McDavid is the favorite, but it's always fun to discuss different candidates besides the front runner!
Even if McDavid does end up winning it, having competition from Matthews would be a great thing to watch.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel

Gosh darn it, it is!

I think that Kuznetsov fellow is another one to look out for! He's off to quite a start!

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Hey Cor, thanks for being patronizing! Not everybody has to agree with your giddy hypothetical assumptions manifest into jumping-the-gun threads based on a 3 game sample size 100% of the time.

Looking forward to re-visiting this thread in due time. :)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hey Cor, thanks for being patronizing! Not everybody has to agree with your giddy hypothetical assumptions manifest into jumping-the-gun threads based on a 3 game sample size 100% of the time.

Looking forward to re-visiting this thread in due time. :)

I think you misunderstood my response.

I legitimatley appeciated it. I create this thread for discussion, and you made a respectable projection of the season Matthews is likely to have in your opinion.

There's no patronizing, nor forcing people to agree here!

Thanks for the discussion!

Oct 18, 2011
I still think McDavid is on a whole different planet so winning the Art Ross would be a huge stretch. But anyone who was complaining a few weeks ago about why Matthews was ranked so high in pretty much every player ranking list should be tuning in to watch this guy play to see why those rankings were justified. He's clearly as good as anyone in the game today not named McDavid. Sure you can fall back on the wait and see until he proves it over a full season argument, but that's not gonna change the fact he's already at that level. All it's gonna do is help convince the doubters of what is already obvious to a lot of people.
Look at the leafs team sure McDavid is better but Mathews will be able to pad his numbers easier bc his team is much better

It's not far fetched

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Look at the leafs team sure McDavid is better but Mathews will be able to pad his numbers easier bc his team is much better

It's not far fetched
That's part of it, but Matthews does some pretty ridiculous things himself. Bah, I wish I could talk about both players without feeling like I'm going to be attack by both fan-bases and the ones who hate them.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I still think McDavid is on a whole different planet so winning the Art Ross would be a huge stretch. But anyone who was complaining a few weeks ago about why Matthews was ranked so high in pretty much every player ranking list should be tuning in to watch this guy play to see why those rankings were justified. He's clearly as good as anyone in the game today not named McDavid. Sure you can fall back on the wait and see until he proves it over a full season argument, but that's not gonna change the fact he's already at that level. All it's gonna do is help convince the doubters of what is already obvious to a lot of people.

It's not far fetched

Some good points in both of these posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad