Friedman: I wonder if Montreal lands Kovalchuk

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Again. Kovalchuk has made it quite clear he will not play for anybody else other than the Rangers. So all these other threads and idiot medial people reporting otherwise are wasting our time. So either NJ will trade him to NY at a discounted rate or he will stay in Russia.

Again?

seems quite clear

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
All reports say Kovalchuk has zero interest in playing for any team other than the Rangers. As a Rangers fan I'm not happy about this. I hope Gorton gives up little for a 34 year old forward.

Hate to break it to you Kovalchuk Insider, But the Rags are now out of the Kovalchuk sweepstakes. So what ever you were hearing was completely false.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Shero won't keep Kovalchuk from returning to the NHL. That's really really bad PR for him and NJ.

Shero isn't in a position to ask for anything worth more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

He literally has no ground to negotiate.

Anything you get is a bonus.

Bad PR for Shero? For refusing to allow the return of a player who abandoned his team mid-contract? Leaving in free agency is one thing, but when you sign a contract you made a commitment. Trust me no one feels bad for Kovalchuk at all in this situation.

I actually think Shero has ALL the leverage here. He either doesn't let Kovalchuk return, signs him and keeps him or trades him to wherever Shero wants. At the end of the day, the cards are in his hands.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Would Radulov be able to drag Kovy to Montreal, after having such a good year there?

Montreal/Jersey deals??

My ask from Montreal would be:

Kovalchuk + 2017 3rd round pick (COL)
for
2017 1st round pick
Plekanec (cap dump)
Lehkonen
2018 2nd round pick

Devils give up Kovalchuk for Lehkonen + 2018 2nd round pick
Devils give up the 93rd overall pick this draft to move back into the 1st round for taking Plekanec contract

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
:habs

Plekanec
Beaulieu
1st round pick
2nd round pick

:devils

Henrique
Kovalchuk
3rd round pick

Pass fairly easily IMO.

Doesn't really do anything for NJ and we give up a good top 6 winger on a team-friendly deal and take a large contract back in return. 1st and Beaulieu don't move the needle much.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

for
2017 1st round pick
Plekanec (cap dump)
Lehkonen
2018 2nd round pick

Devils give up the 93rd overall pick this draft to move back into the 1st round for taking Plekanec contract

Lehkonen isnt going anywhere... hes a young core pieces for years to come... if he's traded its being packed in a package for something young superior.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

for
2017 1st round pick
Plekanec (cap dump)
Lehkonen
2018 2nd round pick

I wouldn't even trade Lehnonen for Kovalchuk.....We also don't need to dump Plekanec for a 1st since MTL still have around 25M to play with.

Counter proposal:

Kovalchuk for MTL 1st 2017 + Emelin

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I wouldn't even trade Lehnonen for Kovalchuk.....We also don't need to dump Plekanec for a 1st since MTL still have around 25M to play with.

Counter proposal:

Would do this if i was a NJD fan. 1st and Emelin for basically free is a good deal.

Just getting a 1st would be huge for NJ. There's no guarantees Kovalchuk ever returns to the NHL, if a building team like the Devils get a 1st out of this mess you have to take it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Counter proposal:

Can't do 2017 picks....

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Would do this if i was a NJD fan. 1st and Emelin for basically free is a good deal.

Just getting a 1st would be huge for NJ. There's no guarantees Kovalchuk ever returns to the NHL, if a building team like the Devils get a 1st out of this mess you have to take it.

First off, it's not for free. There's a reason we have Kovalchuk's rights. We didn't just wake up one day and get handed them.

Second, any trade for Kovalchuk would have to come with a signed contract. His rights cannot be traded. So there's absolutely a guarantee Kovalchuk returns to the NHL if a trade is made given.. he would have just signed a contract.

And no, just getting a first isn't the goal here. If it comes with a cap dump, that has to be considered. If we can get a prospect instead, that may fit our timeline better. The package with the highest pick isn't necessarily the best value.

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013
Can't do 2017 picks due to Kovalchuk can't sign until July 1st and the draft is over by then it has to be 2018 and later.

They can because Kovalchuk have permission to negotiate right away.. so trade 2017 pick and sign previously agreed negotiation July 1st... I think

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
They can because Kovalchuk have permission to negotiate right away.. so trade 2017 pick and sign previously agreed negotiation July 1st... I think

I think I saw online where 17 picks could not be part of Kovy. Not sure if tradI ng picks for futures works or not under this scenario.
Shero is on record saying he would like it to be assets that he can use this year so already/about to play assets.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

Kovalchuk cannot sign a contract until July 1st. Kovalchuk cannot be traded without a contract. Thus, he cannot be traded until July 1st.

You can't include something like this in 'future considerations'. If a team is really into making a deal, I guess they could arrange for the Devils to tell them who to pick with whatever pick they are giving up.. and then flip that prospect to the Devils on July 1st.. but that seems excessively convoluted.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I would die :laugh: if Radulov snubbed them. He might go to Vegas so he can play alongside fellow countryman, Shipachyov. I read that Radu is recently single again and what better place for a rich bachelor than Viva Las Vegas, Baby!
That wont happen............he absolutely loves playing for Montreal...95% chance of him returning...

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Nope it's already been reported that 2017 picks can't be used, You can't deal that pick until the contract is signed and that wont be until at least July 1st and once again the draft is over by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad