Friedman: I wonder if Montreal lands Kovalchuk

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
While I'm not saying he'll play for nothing but do you really think money is the motivation for why he wants to come back? The guy already has more money than he needs in his lifetime, he wants a cup.

Not too many cup contenders have room for a 6-7 million AAV, multiyear, 35+ contract. They do have room for a standard 6-7 million multiyear contract that NJD can absorb some % of, which is why I think they'll both get what they want.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
I think Kovy will get a 2nd + a NHL ready prospect. The value is not incredible, but Kovalchuk has alot of question marks around him including his age, and his ability to still produce at a decent rate. I'd like to slide him in JVR's spot and trade JVR for assets.

I'd offer 2nd + Leipsic from the Leafs for a signed Kovy

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I think Kovy will get a 2nd + a NHL ready prospect. The value is not incredible, but Kovalchuk has alot of question marks around him including his age, and his ability to still produce at a decent rate. I'd like to slide him in JVR's spot and trade JVR for assets.

I'd offer 2nd + Leipsic from the Leafs for a signed Kovy
I'd be surprised if the Devils don't have to take back a contract, whoever Kovalchuk is dealt to.

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
Again. Kovalchuk has made it quite clear he will not play for anybody else other than the Rangers. So all these other threads and idiot medial people reporting otherwise are wasting our time. So either NJ will trade him to NY at a discounted rate or he will stay in Russia.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Again. Kovalchuk has made it quite clear he will not play for anybody else other than the Rangers. So all these other threads and idiot medial people reporting otherwise are wasting our time. So either NJ will trade him to NY at a discounted rate or he will stay in Russia.

Sure dude so why did Friedman just list Toronto, St Louis and San Jose as possible destinations for Ilya Kovalchuk. He can't just come over here and say it's the Rangers or nothing because i'm pretty sure that Ray Shero will tell him to stay over in Russia then because i'm not dealing you to the Rangers.

JimtheMagicalHamster

Jul 4, 2009
You repeating it over and over doesn't make it any more true.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Show the source then, There's absolutely nothing out there suggesting that Kovalchuk will only play for the Ranger. He has to keep other options available.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

If you say it three times in a row, it becomes true!!

Mar 15, 2011
NJ

Damn, you saying it for the 882nd time without any shred of evidence makes it true! Thank you for sticking with us!

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

You keep stating this and its utterly and patently false.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I suppose step 2 is allowing kovie to talk to ''said teams'' interested in him about a contract first since nj has to sign him to that contract then trade.

maybe devils could get a guy like skjei and a pick from ny

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I suppose step 2 is allowing kovie to talk to ''said teams'' interested in him about a contract first since nj has to sign him to that contract then trade.

maybe devils could get a guy like skjei and a pick from ny

Lol no

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
why would Kovy go to NYR if he wants a cup

giphy.gif
:laugh:

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Vegas is in a better position to over Radulov and Kovalchuk more money than anyone else. I think it would be so good for the NHL if both those guys went there. They'll have a decent defence, probably MAF in net, if they can land a few high profile forwards, they'll be decent.

You think these guys want to sign in an average team? Maybe but I suspect they want to win now. Vegas will not be a playoff team for years. Maf, a bad defence and some Russian forwards is not a good team. People here are so delusional how good this team will be.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
So either NJ will trade him to NY at a discounted rate or he will stay in Russia.

those are DEFINITELY the two options on the table. i'm thinking the return will be a 6th rounder from NYR, which is fantastic value. but maybe if we package kovy with hall, the rangers will also throw in nick holden and half of marc staal's cap hit.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
All reports say Kovalchuk has zero interest in playing for any team other than the Rangers. As a Rangers fan I'm not happy about this. I hope Gorton gives up little for a 34 year old forward.

1. NJD and NYR dont trade with each other.

2. As much as i would like Kovalchuk on NYR i dont want us to give up much for him. We dont need another winger. All players/picks/prospect we trade should be used to strengthen the blueline unless its a Brassard for Zibanajad type trade.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007

He "made it clear"? All I've read is reports about "Russian sources" saying he has "serious interest" in NYC.

And those reports come from a guy named Elliott Friedman, the same guy who's now linking Kovalchuk to the Habs.

Unless you have other sources quoting Kovalchuk himself...

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ

Where on earth did you read this?

Source? Because it's nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad