Friedman: I wonder if Montreal lands Kovalchuk

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Shero won't keep Kovalchuk from returning to the NHL. That's really really bad PR for him and NJ.

Shero isn't in a position to ask for anything worth more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

He literally has no ground to negotiate.

Anything you get is a bonus.
you're fooling yourself if you don't think NJ is getting a decent return for him.

thebonscott

Jun 1, 2017
Rather see this

Pacioretty, Beaulieu and Galchenyuk for Taylor Hall and the No. 1 pick?

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
They will get all the Russians this offseason :

Plekanec to Vegas

Sign Radulov / Markov / Yakupov.

Trade:

Beaulieu for Jaskin
3rd round pick for Grigorenko

Semi Russian AllStar team:

Kovalchuk Galchenyuk Radulov
Pacioretty Danault Gallagher
Jaskin Grigorenko Yakupov
Byron Shaw Scherbak
McCarron Mitchell

Sergachev Weber
Markov Petry
Emelin Benn
Davidson

That center depth would be ugly. Gally is a better winger than center. They gotta find a way to get stronger down the middle if they truly want to compete and get the most out of that Weber trade before he's too old.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The true value in a sign and trade for Kovalchuk puzzles me. I believe pretty much every NHL team would be interested but I think not too many will overpay for the 34 year old who hasn't played in the NHL for 4 years.

Contract: What kind of contract do you think he gets? 3 year deal at $4-5M AAV max? Hard to believe some team would pay more than $5M and any team willing to trade for him will want more than just 1 year.

Sign and Trade Value: As stated with the contract, any team willing to trade assets for him will probably want a 3 year deal taking him from age 34-36 IMO. So what is worth 3 years for a guy who was elite level in the NHL 4 years ago but is in his mid 30's now? This is a high reward, high risk type trade for any team. 264pts in 245 games in the KHL over the last 4 seasons. You have to think he's still good for 20+ goals and 50+ points in the NHL (at a minimum). So for me, the price to acquire is a hard to determine. All depends on how aggressive some teams get and how they are able to negotiate a contract with Kovalchuk.

There are only 50-75 players in the NHL age 34 or older next season. Expect many teams to be very pay caution with how much they are willing to pay to acquire and how much term/AAV they are willing to give. Having said this, It might be a good idea for the Devils to package two players together. Henrique or Zajac + Kovalchuk would make the deal more worth it for many NHL teams.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I feel like Friedman spews a lot more crap then he used to now that he is on TV all the time.

I agree. I liked him a lot a few years ago but it's become less and less over the last few years. There all the same.... they need to search for material and keep job security by reporting everything and anything they hear of want to hear.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I agree. I liked him a lot a few years ago but it's become less and less over the last few years. There all the same.... they need to search for material and keep job security by reporting everything and anything they hear of want to hear.

Yeah, to be frank, Kovy moving to Montreal was totally uncalled for.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada

This is the nature of the business for them. I still like Friedman but he works a lot more off pure speculation then he did in the past.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
That center depth would be ugly. Gally is a better winger than center. They gotta find a way to get stronger down the middle if they truly want to compete and get the most out of that Weber trade before he's too old.

Although the overall sentiment of your post is true, the bolded is false. Galchenyuk is a much more productive and engaged player while playing center as opposed to on the wing.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Galchenyuk = Taylor Hall
Pacioretty, Beaulieu = 1st OVR

??? wow

I'd rather take Nolan over an aging Patches and trade fodder. Patrick will be in NJ for a long time while Pacioretty has 2 years left on his term. NJ is NOT looking for a rental.

Chucky for Hall seems fair though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad