Friedman: I wonder if Montreal lands Kovalchuk

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I mean it could happen. If they do get him, the habs need to put all their chips on the table and go get Duchene too.

It's risky but if the habs are serious about winning the cup they need to get risky

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He'd be a good add for them but if I'm Montreal I spend my offseason going for a #1 centre, not another left winger.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I mean it could happen. If they do get him, the habs need to put all their chips on the table and go get Duchene too.

It's risky but if the habs are serious about winning the cup they need to get risky

Yeah Montreal would very improved by adding Kovalchuk, Duchene and Sergachev to their roster this season.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
The rumour is Radulov is waiting for the expansion draft to be over to sign so he doesn't take up an expansion slot. It would take a lot for Vegas to sway him.

I've also heard that he wants to gauge his value on the UFA market. He loves the city but I don't think he has enough allegiance to us to care about who we might lose expansion draft

LV looks a really good destination for him. They signed Shipachev, Dadonov looks to be headed there, and they're one of the frontrunners for Kovalchuk. That and the ridiculous contract they could offer him would be more than enough to sway his decision IMO

Honestly, I could even see Vegas taking an un-signed Radulov in the expansion draft. Sounds crazy, but Montreal doesn't have much talent to offer Vegas in the draft, so if they truly believe they can get him signed it would be well worth the risk.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I've also heard that he wants to gauge his value on the UFA market. He loves the city but I don't think he has enough allegiance to us to care about who we might lose expansion draft

LV looks a really good destination for him. They signed Shipachev, Dadonov looks to be headed there, and they're one of the frontrunners for Kovalchuk. That and the ridiculous contract they could offer him would be more than enough to sway his decision IMO

Honestly, I could even see Vegas taking an un-signed Radulov in the expansion draft. Sounds crazy, but Montreal doesn't have much talent to offer Vegas in the draft, so if they truly believe they can get him signed it would be well worth the risk.

They can't draft a player that's a UFA. They do get an early window to sign players though.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

As I understand it, Las Vegas are free to negotiate with all unprotected UFA's and RFA's during the 3 day expansion draft process. So they could sign Radulov to a deal during those 3 days, but he would then obviously count as their pick from Montreal.

So they won't be taking him unsigned.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
They can't draft a player that's a UFA. They do get an early window to sign players though.

As I understand it, Las Vegas are free to negotiate with all unprotected UFA's and RFA's during the 3 day expansion draft process. So they could sign Radulov to a deal during those 3 days, but he would then obviously count as their pick from Montreal.

So they won't be taking him unsigned.

That makes more sense, my mistake!

I still feel like montreal should get a deal done with Radulov prior to the expansion draft just to avoid that situation, it's not like we'll be losing a key player with that extra slot

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Vegas is in a better position to over Radulov and Kovalchuk more money than anyone else. I think it would be so good for the NHL if both those guys went there. They'll have a decent defence, probably MAF in net, if they can land a few high profile forwards, they'll be decent.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
If Kovalchuk is coming back to the NHL, just to be playing in the NHL, he should go to Vegas. He will get a good contract and will be playing in the best league in the world.

If he's coming back to the NHL wanting to win a cup, he has a few good options to choose from, but I don't see him making as much. He's 34 so I dont think he has that much time left.

It really depends what he wants to do.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I have this feeling Radulov and Kovy will both be in Vegas.

Money-wise it would make sense but i seriously doubt it. Both guys are competitors and over their 30's once the season starts. I can't see them being interested playing for a team that's likely going to miss the playoffs.

I know both of them hate losing, and would rather play for a team that they know are capable of going all the way. Vegas is clearly not that. You need good defense and the Knights won't even have a single top pairing defenseman.

I agree it would be fun to see, but i know if i was over my 30's and had the resume these guys have, i'd have zero interest in trying to carry a team just to make the playoffs. Reality is neither player has a cup. And they want to win, as they've said in the past.

Last edited:

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
They will try but will end up with Yakupov :nod:

They will get all the Russians this offseason :

Plekanec to Vegas

Sign Radulov / Markov / Yakupov.

Trade:

Beaulieu for Jaskin
3rd round pick for Grigorenko

Semi Russian AllStar team:

Kovalchuk Galchenyuk Radulov
Pacioretty Danault Gallagher
Jaskin Grigorenko Yakupov
Byron Shaw Scherbak
McCarron Mitchell

Sergachev Weber
Markov Petry
Emelin Benn
Davidson

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

They can draft an upcoming UFA like Radulov. The only restriction is that at least 20 of the 30 players Vegas selects must be under contract for 2017-18.

You'd think Vegas would probably prefer to get the player signed before making the expansion draft pick, but it's not mandatory.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
If we lose Radulov we better lose MB, too. As long as we don't end up with McGuire I'll take my chances with the new guy.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
All reports say Kovalchuk has zero interest in playing for any team other than the Rangers. As a Rangers fan I'm not happy about this. I hope Gorton gives up little for a 34 year old forward.
lmao yet one of the top and most trusted sources, eg friedman, thinks mtl can land him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad