I was going to give a big breakdown, but it comes down to two words: Alex Pietrangelo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Let's see what happens. Im sure you have all my posts saved, so you can call me out if I'm wrong.

LOL, no. I remember you saying that are about half a dozen or so #1 Dmen in the NHL and the rest are interchangeable, that's more than enough nonsense for me thank you very much.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
This morning, I’m totally on board the AP train.
It sets the D corps very well for the foreseeable future, especially if he signs in the 9mil range. The key, to me, is whether the team can liquidate enough assets and find a cheap goalie (since Andersen is up at the end of the year and his cap hit goes a long way.
Mo/Muzzin/AP
Whatever combination of Holl/Lili/Lehtonen/TD, with Rasmus in the wings the year after.
Bonus: it’s relatively expansion proof.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This morning, I’m totally on board the AP train.
It sets the D corps very well for the foreseeable future, especially if he signs in the 9mil range. The key, to me, is whether the team can liquidate enough assets and find a cheap goalie (since Andersen is up at the end of the year and his cap hit goes a long way.
Mo/Muzzin/AP
Whatever combination of Holl/Lili/Lehtonen/TD, with Rasmus in the wings the year after.
Bonus: it’s relatively expansion proof.

Many predict Petro will not get 9 especially with the cap being flat for the next few years. IMO the Blues are his #1 choice but if they allow him to walk I think King City Petro gives the Leafs a discount.

Seems the Leafs want to give the present core another year so Petro is the best option on D IMO. You just have to make sure you get a bottom 6 than can keep the puck out of your net and make it difficult for the opposition to play against.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Hard to just bank on the hopes of landing a certain player, reminds me of trade proposal threads. They're comforting and would be nice, but the chances of it happening are low.

Reactions: Bluelines

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Many predict Petro will not get 9 especially with the cap being flat for the next few years. IMO the Blues are his #1 choice but if they allow him to walk I think King City Petro gives the Leafs a discount.

Seems the Leafs want to give the present core another year so Petro is the best option on D IMO. You just have to make sure you get a bottom 6 than can keep the puck out of your net and make it difficult for the opposition to play against.
If he comes in at less, all the better. Depending on the liquidation and his contract, you can maybe even keep a luxury like Kerfoot around.
Keefe’s teams have always had good structure....so I can see it working out well.
And if you project forward, there’s good/high upside low cost options filtering in over the next two/few years to fill and keep the roster strong.
The next off-season, Hyman, Barbaranov, Lehtonen out; Robertson, Korshkov, Hallander, Sandin in.
The year after, Reilly is up...but there’s time to deal with and plan for that.

Reactions: ToneDog

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Would it be great to have him? Sure.

Does it make cap sense? Not really.

Was defence our big problem this year and we should make panic moves to fix it? Nope.

With Sandin and Liljegren ready to start playing, the D only needs a cheaper than Ceci type defensive D and as long as they are as competent as this year, the D should be fine looking forward. 3rd and 4th lines will be the main focus (as the Kappy trade already showed). I think a full year under Keefe is going to show how good this team is and I dont think the D will be as ravaged by injuries as it was this past year as well.
7th worst reg season goals against and only 1 Dman that plays with any grit
this is defense is a disaster

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

between covid-19 and the BLM riots,,maybe,,,,, he/wifey/kids want to be in a safer city

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
7th worst reg season goals against and only 1 Dman that plays with any grit
this is defense is a disaster

Goals against had far more to do with goaltending than defence this year and thats the first time I could say that in years.

Andersen had a great playoffs though.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Pietrangelo unsure of future with Blues heading into free agency - NHL.com

Alex Pietrangelo's desire to re-sign with the St. Louis Blues hasn't changed, but he admitted Tuesday he may have to play elsewhere next season.

"Obviously, I want to stay a Blue. Of course I do," Pietrangelo said.

The defenseman, who has played his 12-season NHL career with the Blues, can be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

"It's the only place I've known in professional hockey," Pietrangelo said. "Legacy is obviously important. This organization means a lot to me. You see Al [MacInnis] come around, you see all the other alumni who are around regularly. That means a lot, right? It's guys who have a great relationship with the organization that have been around and have set their roots in St. Louis."

"But whether it's here or somewhere else, you want to play to the best of your ability and leave a legacy wherever you are. That goes along with on the ice and off the ice and try to impact the organization in the community. So, whether it's here or anywhere else, I think it's important for me to really kind of set my roots wherever it is, and I know my wife feels the same way."

General manager Doug Armstrong said Wednesday he wants to keep Pietrangelo in St. Louis, but doing so would require other moves to fit his new contract under the NHL salary cap.

"I think the first phase is going to be to find out if we can find common ground with Alex, and if we do then go to work to move other pieces," Armstrong said. "It is really an either-or that if we can't find common ground with Alex, then there's really no need to do anything. And if we can find common ground with Alex, then there's a need to do a lot."

"I've said this really since July of '19, Alex is our captain. I've grown up with Alex in this organization and he's grown up with me in this organization. I'd like to see that continue for a number of years moving forward and that's my focus right now."

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Goals against had far more to do with goaltending than defence this year and thats the first time I could say that in years.

Andersen had a great playoffs though.
really??? it was FAs fault that he faced the 4th most shot against in the league?

.909 sv% not great, not terrible, he was 12th of all starters with 40+ starts

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
It wouldn’t make sense for the Blues to let Alex Pietrangelo walk now – The Athletic

“Obviously, I want to stay a Blue,” the 30-year-old said. “Of course I do. It’s the only place I’ve known in professional hockey. This organization means a lot to me. You see Al (MacInnis) come around, you see all the other alumni who are around regularly. That means a lot, right? It’s guys who have a great relationship with the organization that have been around and have set their roots in St. Louis.”

But that organization has only about $2 million left in salary-cap space for the 2020-21 season and still needs to re-sign restricted free agent Vince Dunn.

With the pandemic pushing back the postseason, the usual start of free agency on July 1 has been shelved until October, so we might not know for several weeks whether Pietrangelo will be back.

In the meantime, based on what we’ve witnessed from GM Doug Armstrong’s contract work this season, we’ll explore why it wouldn’t make sense for the Blues to let Pietrangelo walk now.

What do we know?

The Blues and Pietrangelo’s agent, Don Meehan of Newport Sports Mangement Inc., have had minimal conversations going back to last summer. It’s understandable the two sides wouldn’t speak during the pause, when the salary cap for the 2020-21 season wasn’t yet known, but it doesn’t appear there are any plans to talk soon.

“I have nothing to report,” Meehan wrote in an email this week.

So where does the situation stand?

Armstrong and Meehan have kept it close to the vest, but NHL sources say they have exchanged numbers. The belief is that Pietrangelo asked for less than the eight-year, $72.5 million deal ($9.06 million average annual value) signed by Nashville’s Roman Josi in October and the Blues haven’t gone higher than $8 million AAV.

The negotiations didn’t go anywhere, and now, months later, the landscape in the NHL and St. Louis has changed.

The pandemic and subsequent lost revenue for the league will keep the salary cap at $81.5 million in ’20-21, and the Blues have signed several more players in the meantime.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Sorry I’m a Leafs fan, what does the word “discount” mean?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Carlson signed for 8 mil/season last year in Washington.
If you get AP for that (or 9), I’d do it.
We have 4/5 years until Matthews/JT are UFA.
The clock is ticking on patience. You need to take advantage now. You move a winger to compensate.

Matthews/JT/Rielly/Muzzin/AP would be your core. Keep whichever winger is feasible.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I don’t think we need Pietrangelo, but I’ll be damned if I don’t want him. Sign him and trade a winger, you can’t pass up that kind of value coming for free. Same as JT, that’s adding a top5 value piece to the org for the price of the contract. Move Marner for the space and assets and we’re in a much better spot than we were a week prior.

I fully expect Pietrangelo to remain a Blue.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If he comes in at less, all the better. Depending on the liquidation and his contract, you can maybe even keep a luxury like Kerfoot around.
Keefe’s teams have always had good structure....so I can see it working out well.
And if you project forward, there’s good/high upside low cost options filtering in over the next two/few years to fill and keep the roster strong.
The next off-season, Hyman, Barbaranov, Lehtonen out; Robertson, Korshkov, Hallander, Sandin in.
The year after, Reilly is up...but there’s time to deal with and plan for that.

These "circle fly" type players (like Kerfoot, AJ, Gauthier, Marincin, Engvall) are really just ATOI eaters, they do nothing that helps your team win. They don't score...much, they don't kill PIM's...much, they don't defend...much, they don't drive play...much, they don't fight...much, don't block shots...much. if your contribution to the team is less than a fan sitting in the seat next to the bench... maybe that player should buy a ticket ... the revenue from that ticket would help the team more than the player would if he was on the ice. Time for passenger players to stop, time for everyone to be pulling in the same direction. time for everyone from 1 to 21 to work their asses off every shift. Time for talking to stop and doing to begin. Time for these players to build their legacy.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I don’t think we need Pietrangelo, but I’ll be damned if I don’t want him. Sign him and trade a winger, you can’t pass up that kind of value coming for free. Same as JT, that’s adding a top5 value piece to the org for the price of the contract. Move Marner for the space and assets and we’re in a much better spot than we were a week prior.

Hey if they want to move Parayko to fit AP under their cap , we might take him off their hands if they are reasonable ;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'd prefer to keep Marner and trade Nylander, other than that absolutely. Sets our D up perfectly for the expansion draft with 3 keepers on D, we finally have that D partner for Rielly, get some futures back for Nylander (or some grit for the bottom 6 or 3rd pair D), what's not to like?

Only thing is, he has to want to come here and thus sign for a friendly price and we have to keep in mind that whatever we pay him, we should count on having to pay Rielly roughly the same. Hopefully 8 million a year gets it done, would make me excited for next season!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That's what most were saying about Tavares. Maybe he'll stay there but it seems far from a certainty to me.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
So instead of having 50% of the cap allocated to 4 players, we could have 60% allocated to 5 players.

What could possibly go wrong with that strategy? :rolleyes:

Reactions: al secord

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So instead of having 50% of the cap allocated to 4 players, we could have 60% allocated to 5 players.

What could possibly go wrong with that strategy? :rolleyes:

The idea is to move a winger out so roughly the same cap allotment but one of the 4 players would be a defenceman. Makes sense to me.

Reactions: ForzaZuffa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad