Speculation: "I want to win cups" (All Drew Doughty Proposals here)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Very weird to hear him actually come out and say that

If LA can't get it together this year, if I'm them, I'm trading him next summer

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The only thing he cares about is winning cups.......................and an 8 figure salary

with Doughty though, he'd be 30 during the summer he re-signs, so his new deal could take him to 37 if he leaves LA. So, you'd think that even if Doughty gets a massive salary, the last few years of it could bring the cap hit down.

edit: correction, he'd be 29 yo, and his max deal if he leaves would take him to 36, but the principle is the same

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Very weird to hear him actually come out and say that

If LA can't get it together this year, if I'm them, I'm trading him next summer

Yeah it is strange
I wonder if he'll redact it in the next couple days like guys often seem to
It would be crazy if a guy as good as him hit UFA

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly Doughty
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Liljegren
Borgman Carrick

sick!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We cannot afford to sign Doughty. As much as i'd love him, that would be a ridiculous amount of cap tied up in 4-5 players. If it's a short term deal it may be doable but i just dont think that makes sense for him.

That Wouldn't be any different than what all contenders do they all give most of the money to 4-5 guys and fill in the rest

Doughty would make Toronto a contender

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I have zero problems paying Doughty big dollars to come to Toronto, even if Nylander, Marner, and Matthews are still on the team.

Paying elite, franchise level talent is always worth it in the long run. It's when you start giving too much money to support and depth guys is where teams get in trouble.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Anybody thinking Doughty will take any kind of sizable discount is out of their mind

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Figures, for years I've been waiting and hoping every time a big name approaches UFA that they'd actually walk... Stamkos, Price, Burns. Now my favorite team's best player will be the one who actually does it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Figures, for years I've been waiting and hoping every time a big name approaches UFA that they'd actually walk... Stamkos, Price, Burns. Now my team's best player will be the one who actually does it.

If the Kings don't make noise this year, it would be best to cut ties with him while you still can get something for him from a team in the offseason.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I have zero problems paying Doughty big dollars to come to Toronto, even if Nylander, Marner, and Matthews are still on the team.

Paying elite, franchise level talent is always worth it in the long run. It's when you start giving too much money to support and depth guys is where teams get in trouble.

Bingo

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If I'm Blake, I'd do some serious thinking about this and be honest about the teams trajectory. If he feels like they won't be contending he should trade him asap for value reasons.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs Going into 2019-2020 Season

Bracco - - - - Matthews - - - Marner
Grundstrom - Nylander - Kappanen
Soshnikov - - - - Kadri - - - - Brown
Rychel - - - - Gauthier - - - - Hyman

Rielly - - - Doughty
Gardiner - Liljegren
Dermott - - Zaitsev

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He'd be crazy to not go to EDM or Toronto if they can afford him. He makes them insta-contenders and for a long time.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Thinking out loud a bit here, I wonder if my 2 favorite teams, LA and Toronto, could work out a deal for Doughty and Carter in exchange for a package involving Nylander and significant futures. That would instantly make Toronto a cup favorite (especially with Matthews and Marner still on their ELCs) and really kickstart a rebuild in LA.

From an LA pov if it's clear Doughty is leaving then I trade him for the best package asap. And if Doughty goes then everyone else over 28 with any value should go too. For Toronto I'd gladly move Nylander for a player of Doughty's caliber that fills an exact need at RD.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Oilers could offer a pretty compelling package.

RNH
Nurse
1st round pick
Caleb Jones
Puljujarvi

3 to 4 of the above.

LA isn't going to trade him this year. And they're not going to want to trade him next year either. I suspect that they wait until the last minute to try and get him signed.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This has Kings and Flyers written all over it. At the right time...

TO LA:
- Sanheim
- Rubtsov
- young goalie

TO PHI:
- Doughty

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
This is Drew freaking Doughty we are talking about..

Stop with the prospects and late picks offers...

If the Kings trade him with 2 years left, be prepared to lose your top young NHL star....

A Nylander/Marner caliber player would have to go the other way...

I mean from EDM you could even ask for Draisaitl IMO. At least there is not much else that would make sense...
From the Flyers it would be Patrick+Sanheim++++ I would presume.
Maybe Pastrnak+ from Boston.

Don't really see many teams being able to pull a deal like that off tbh...

But he certainly won't go for the offers in here...

RNH as the best piece coming back? Or Sanheim?
Really?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We cannot afford to sign Doughty. As much as i'd love him, that would be a ridiculous amount of cap tied up in 4-5 players. If it's a short term deal it may be doable but i just dont think that makes sense for him.

TOR could hypothetically make Doughty work. The ceiling on Doughty as a UFA is a 10.5M cap hit. None of Toronto's big young stars will have NTCs. They'd be desirable to other teams in trades and very easy to move if cap needed to be cleared.

In the situation where Doughty wanted to sign with TOR as a UFA, TOR would be crazy not to do it and then to trade whoever else other than Matthews they'd need to trade to make it work long term. End result would be Doughty+Matthews to build around and a boat load of assets via trading at least initially one of Marner or Nylander to make room for Doughty.

With that said, TOR would have two years to prove they are contenders. Sounds to me like the guy wants to go sign in Pittsburgh and pull a Lebron. They are one of the only teams who I'd actually call a true contender. There are very few true contenders that fit the possibility to win a cup every year mould in today's NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad