Speculation: "I want to win cups" (All Drew Doughty Proposals here)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
yeah and how is tampa affording to add a 10 million dollar player?

after Kucherov gets his massive raise to 10m before that same season, tampa has 52 million spent on 8 players. signing doughty means they can't even fill out the roster.

oh and spare the everyone to the leafs bit. dont act like flames fans don't hanker for every big name UFA as well

I've literally never seen a Flames fan assume a player was going to sign with the Flames because he was from Calgary. With Toronto, basically every single elite player from Toronto is going to sign in Toronto according to their fans.

Another thing you have to think about with Doughty is that if he really wants to win cups, he's not going to be able to take $10 million in free agency. The top teams of the future can't afford to sign Doughty for $10 million long term. I also don't see why he'd insist on getting a massive contract, wasn't his last contract for $49 million? And he's only like 27 at this point.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

That’s an ugly quote to see if you’re part of Kings management. The team has been mediocre recently and the core group is getting older, with Kopitar, Brown, Gaborik, Carter and Quick all on the wrong side of 30. The prospect pool looks better than it did a couple years ago, but it’s nothing special.

If he’s serious, it may be time to think about the long-term and consider moving him.

EDIT: I say this without an agenda.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't usually see big stars leaving their teams in FA, but every Doughty interview i've seen this past year where they've asked him about the contract stuff, he always brings up how he's open to going somewhere else. I believe during last season i saw a clip where he said he'd want to explore his options.

My point is, he seems very open about going somewhere else if things don't work out in LA.

And boy oh boy, it's definitely not a guarantee the Kings will be a contender in the near future. They're going to have to make some moves and be aggressive.

Doughty leaving could be the final nail in the coffin for the Kings, and at the same time he can give a significant competitive advantage to a team of his choosing. Any team would give up assets to get rid of their bad contracts if that means getting Doughty on a long-term deal.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
lose killorn+callahan, let sustr and girardi walk in the next couple years

give away a pile of assets to get rid of those contracts and they
gain 5-5.5 on kucherov before doughty costs 10. oh and then no money to bring back stralman or give dotchin a raise

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think he ends up in TOR under Babcock.

This guy is a winner. Doughty revels in big game moments.

I think he ends up in TOR.

Toronto actually makes sense, considering need, window, and where he might want to go
Trade Nylander?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
give away a pile of assets to get rid of those contracts and they
gain 5-5.5 on kucherov before doughty costs 10. oh and then no money to bring back stralman or give dotchin a raise

wrong, do the math.

10 mil off of those contracts, spend that on doughty
5 mil off of sustr and girardi, spend that on kuch
money from Coburn, brown, condra, and maybe stralman walking can be used on the likes of point and dotchin

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I've literally never seen a Flames fan assume a player was going to sign with the Flames because he was from Calgary. With Toronto, basically every single elite player from Toronto is going to sign in Toronto according to their fans.

Another thing you have to think about with Doughty is that if he really wants to win cups, he's not going to be able to take $10 million in free agency. The top teams of the future can't afford to sign Doughty for $10 million long term. I also don't see why he'd insist on getting a massive contract, wasn't his last contract for $49 million? And he's only like 27 at this point.

Very few players in the NHL have more value than Doughty.

Yes - he can afford to get a bit contract on a top team. Teams would make room for him. Long term at a high price - he's worth it.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Him going to Toronto makes sense. However, I'm not sure what it would mean for the rest of the team (salary wise).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Very few players in the NHL have more value than Doughty.

Yes - he can afford to get a bit contract on a top team. Teams would make room for him. Long term at a high price - he's worth it.

What top team has the money available to throw $10 million at him? It doesn't matter how valuable Doughty is, teams usually can't just make $10 million disappear just like that.

If Doughty is serious about only wanting cups, his ask needs to have a 7 or 8 as the first number, not a 10 or 11. Off the top of my head, I think Dallas is probably the only good team who could afford Doughty at $10 million without much difficulty (involves trading Spezza), but that depends on Seguin's contract situation.

Just for laughs, I was looking into whether the Penguins could afford Doughty, if they'd trade Maatta for a 3rd line center and let Hornqvist walk as a free agent, they could afford Doughty at like $9 million. Not that I'd even remotely expect something like that to be even close to realistic, but it was just for fun.

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He's made his intent clear. Problem is, any young team that could potentially afford him can't give him 10 million plus+. From a Leafs fan perspective, it depends on what the big 3 resign as. I think we can fit him in the cap assuming they sign decent deals. Gardiner will be off the books within the next two years and we have an internal replacement for him in the system in the form of Dermott. Would be interesting to see a team consisting of Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Doughty and Rielly along with potentially Liljegren and Dermott later on. Besides the obvious attention his impending FA will have in TO media, this is going to be interesting.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
for the right price (cheap AF) he'd make sense in Toronto. If he's serious about only caring about winning and takes a heavy discount it could work

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Oilers could offer a pretty compelling package.

RNH
Nurse
1st round pick
Caleb Jones
Puljujarvi

3 to 4 of the above.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
If he does somehow make it to UFA you know Chiarelli will be all over it.
Doesnt mean hell sign here but there would be a massive offer in place.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Oilers could offer a pretty compelling package.

RNH
Nurse
1st round pick
Caleb Jones
Puljujarvi

3 to 4 of the above.

RNH + Nurse + Jones/Bear + Two 1st round picks

Maroon - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Slepyshev
Jokinen - Strome - Cagiula

Sekera - Doughty
Larsson - Klefbom
Russel - Benning

Talbot

Ahh if only

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I would think Toronto would make a serious push for him and would be entering their winning prime. However I'm sure quite a few teams would be in on him.. tough to say what happens with him. If LA doesn't position themselves with new talent he could decide to look elsewhere for a home.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Really interesting to see a high end player being open about that.

Mar 26, 2010
Nylander for Doughty

No they won't.

I like Doughty, and he would be a great fit in T.O, but not at the cost of Willy Nylander.

Nylander is untouchable. He is one of the major foundation blocks for the Leafs.

Better off to wait until Doughty is a UFA in a few years. Sign him without giving up a young elite core player.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
Assuming Tamap Bay can lose all of Callahan, Killorn, Girardi and Sustr by the 2019 season, I think both Tavares and Doughty will be on their radar.

Steven Stamkos (8.5) - John Tavares (8.5) - Brayden Point (3)
Ondrej Palat (5.3) - Tyler Johnson (5) - Nikita Kucherov (8)
Vladislav Namestnikov (3) - Anthony Cirelli (0.9) - XXX
Yanni Gourde (1) - Cedric Paquette (1.5) - Mitchell Stephens (0.9)
XXX

Victor Hedman (7.875) - Drew Doughty (8.5)
Anton Stralman (4.5) - Jake Dotchin (3)
Braydon Coburn (3.7) - Mikhail Sergachev (0.9)
Slater Koekkoek (1.5)

Andrei Vasilevski (3.5)
Peter Budaj (1)

That lineup as is with Tavares and Doughty at 8.5 each, Kucherov at 8, Dotchin and Namestnikov at 3, has a cap of 79 million. Meaning that with the cap going up and a bit of salary movement, Tampa can pull it off.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Just like every other UFA?

My guess would be Tampa.

Doughty makes sense though.

From the area, fills a need, and is basically the piece Toronto needs to become a major cup contender once their youth gets some more experience.

I know it's cliche to say Toronto in threads like these but... it makes a lot of sense this time.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Assuming Tamap Bay can lose all of Callahan, Killorn, Girardi and Sustr by the 2019 season, I think both Tavares and Doughty will be on their radar.

Steven Stamkos (8.5) - John Tavares (8.5) - Brayden Point (3)
Ondrej Palat (5.3) - Tyler Johnson (5) - Nikita Kucherov (8)
Vladislav Namestnikov (3) - Anthony Cirelli (0.9) - XXX
Yanni Gourde (1) - Cedric Paquette (1.5) - Mitchell Stephens (0.9)
XXX

Victor Hedman (7.875) - Drew Doughty (8.5)
Anton Stralman (4.5) - Jake Dotchin (3)
Braydon Coburn (3.7) - Mikhail Sergachev (0.9)
Slater Koekkoek (1.5)

Andrei Vasilevski (3.5)
Peter Budaj (1)

That lineup as is with Tavares and Doughty at 8.5 each, Kucherov at 8, Dotchin and Namestnikov at 3, has a cap of 79 million. Meaning that with the cap going up and a bit of salary movement, Tampa can pull it off.

0 chance Kuch signs for 8m. He just took a bridge deal at $4.75m when he could have been making 7+. He'll get what Stamkos got at minimum. Also Tavares/Doughty will get 10+ in UFA. McDavid changed things. Both of those guys are players you can build a team around.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Him going to Toronto makes sense. However, I'm not sure what it would mean for the rest of the team (salary wise).

Did a quick roster guess with Matthews at 10, Nylander and Marner at 7, and Doughty at 10 which leaves the following roster for 71.806 million and 4 open roster spots(ignored Horton's 5.3 LTIR for simplicity purposes)

Marleau - Matthews - Bracco
Grundstrom - Nylander - Brown
Hyman - Kadri - Marner
Martin - Brooks - _____
Timashov, _____

Rielly - Doughty
Dermott - Zaitsev
_____ - Liljegren
Nielsen

Andersen
_____

Left out guys like Kapanen, Carrick, Rosen, Borgman, Johnsson, Leivo, etc because their contracts require renewing before then so who knows how much they make if they do manage to breakthrough and stickaround and whether you can afford that if you did get Doughty. In theory it's doable but you're looking at a revolving door of cheap contracts and ELC's. You'd certainly have to hope you continue to develop guys via the draft that you can fill in because with a core of 9 guys making 53 million you don't really have much of any money for elsewhere. Push comes to shove I'd trade Marner before Nylander IMO.

It'd become much easier if you could move Marleau which I think with him being owed just 1.5 after July 1st, 2019 is the plan(paying someone to take him, and maybe he retires Datsyuk style), but either way you're looking at a tough following year when a bunch of guys require contracts(Brown, Dermott, Grundstrom, Bracco, Nielsen, Brooks, and possibly Liljegren) and it being impossible to keep them all.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00