Proposal: I WANT TANEV!!!!! (TOR/VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It will be Jake for Tanev straight up.

Leafs get an injured prone player for a soon to be UFA.
Canucks gain a UFA PP QB that if the team is in playoff spot, they can afford to resign if they are not, they can trade him for a good haul at the TDL.
Win win for both sides.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure how many NHL GMs would be willing to trade a Blue Chip D-prospect for a good but injury prone defenceman...

Okay pal, if you want to believe Liljegren is a blue chip defenseman and Tanev is merely good, who am I to disturb your sleep.

*glances at avatar*

Heck I'm not even going to mention which team Lou works for now...

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Canucks gain a UFA PP QB that if the team is in playoff spot, they can afford to resign if they are not, they can trade him for a good haul at the TDL.
Win win for both sides.

Just a wild guess... you're a Leaf fan right? :nod:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just a wild guess... you're a Leaf fan right? :nod:

Leafs fans living in Vancouver.

Honestly, I think there are actually more Nucks fans who want to trade Tanev to the Leafs than Leafs fans wanting Tanev.

Personally, I would not give up anything significant for Tanev due to his injury history the past few seasons. Even though, most of them are just bad luck rather than recurring.

Reactions: Cams

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs fans living in Vancouver.

Honestly, I think there are actually more Nucks fans who want to trade Tanev to the Leafs than Leafs fans wanting Tanev.

Personally, I would not give up anything significant for Tanev due to his injury history the past few seasons. Even though, most of them are just bad luck rather than recurring.

Not sure how I knew you were a Leaf fan. :laugh:

I've been a hardcore Canuck fan for decades (hell I've been a poster on Canuck message boards for over 2 decades).

Anyway, I'll get to the point, the majority of HFCanucks might want to move Tanev

... but the majority of Canuckdom certainly would rather keep him.

Hell, he's our best defenseman (some would say Edler).

The majority don't want to give him up for the peanuts Leaf fans seem to be offering here.

A bird in the hand is worth at least two in the bush...

Reactions: nucks88

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
And btw I doubt you'd find a single Canuck fan anywhere (even here!) that would like your Gardiner for Tanev proposal...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's see....Chiarelli traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson straight up....and Calgary gives up a first rounder and second rounder in 2018, and a conditional second-rounder in either 2019 or 2020 for Travis Hamonic. If that's the going rate for a legit top-four d-man then most of the trial balloons on this thread are woefully inadequate from the Canucks standpoint.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Let's see....Chiarelli traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson straight up....and Calgary gives up a first rounder and second rounder in 2018, and a conditional second-rounder in either 2019 or 2020 for Travis Hamonic. If that's the going rate for a legit top-four d-man then most of the trial balloons on this thread are woefully inadequate from the Canucks standpoint.

The only blemish is his average number of games played in a season.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle

Win win for both sides.

No it won’t. That would be horrid for VAN. They need to get prospects and picks, not Jake Gardiner

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
And btw I doubt you'd find a single Canuck fan anywhere (even here!) that would like your Gardiner for Tanev proposal...

The Jake for Tanev is more a joke than anything.

Just don't think the Nucks and Leafs are good trade partners.

Tanev is tricky though, if he can stay healthy, he is worth quite a lot but if he goes down injured within the first 5 games, really doubt any teams would trade him. The Dman I really like is Troy. He might be small but he plays big and hard.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
First off: At this point in the evolution of the team we need to surround Boeser/Horvat/Pettersson properly more than anything and trading Tanev from an already terrible defense (clearly the biggest problem with the team going forward) isn't exactly a great move to help these guys.

Getting a late 1st in a deal is great value but it needs to be more enticing than just that to pull the trigger on this. Tanev is one of the very few expendable assets we have with good value.

Now I like the OP, Kapanen is a guy that could come in next year and help us. He can play the PK (we need an improvement there) and we need secondary scoring. Only problem is we have alot of wingers similar to him but perhaps he allows us to move someone else. I think that's a deal you jump on or atleast really really consider hard.

I also like the value of post #5. Two 2nd's on top of a first is great, but it does fall into that lottery ticket kinda thing I addressed initially.

I think Kapanen or especially a defenseman like Dermott/Liljegren could make this happen for Vancouver. (I get TO may not wanna trade one of those D's). But I also get the sense VAN might want to make a hockey trade for Tanev.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Close!

Tanev + Lockwood +2020 3rd

for

2018 1st + 2019 2nd + Kapanen

Not interested in other pieces and not interested in moving Kap.

I will counter with 2 1sts for Tanev and this year's 2nd and either next years 3rd if he plays less than 120 games or next year's 4th if he plays 140+ games or no other pick if he plays 160+ games.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
First off: At this point in the evolution of the team we need to surround Boeser/Horvat/Pettersson properly more than anything and trading Tanev from an already terrible defense (clearly the biggest problem with the team going forward) isn't exactly a great move to help these guys.

Getting a late 1st in a deal is great value but it needs to be more enticing than just that to pull the trigger on this. Tanev is one of the very few expendable assets we have with good value.

Now I like the OP, Kapanen is a guy that could come in next year and help us. He can play the PK (we need an improvement there) and we need secondary scoring. Only problem is we have alot of wingers similar to him but perhaps he allows us to move someone else. I think that's a deal you jump on or atleast really really consider hard.

I also like the value of post #5. Two 2nd's on top of a first is great, but it does fall into that lottery ticket kinda thing I addressed initially.

I think Kapanen or especially a defenseman like Dermott/Liljegren could make this happen for Vancouver. (I get TO may not wanna trade one of those D's). But I also get the sense VAN might want to make a hockey trade for Tanev.

A hockey trade is going to be hard to do for Tanev. He plays a premium position and it's exactly that position that we would want. There aren't many teams with a decent, younger RHD that would want to swap with us. The other option would be to go for a center, but I'd rather stand put in that scenario. A 1 for 1 for a decent prospect is what we all want, but it happens rarely, and you can't blame the Leafs fans for not wanting to trade Liljegren, his value is decently high, higher than the 17OA at which the got him. That doesn't make him perfect, he is far from it. Not sure if he is a blue-chipper at this point, but he sure is doing great. There's a lot of sentimental attachment now.

The premise for a trade has been pretty much discussed to death. How about the same premise but still something that hasn't been put down properly:
1st 2018 (25) + Räsänen + conditional 2nd 2019

- Any top 4 D in this league should honestly command a first round pick. There are certain cases where I'd be skeptical, like in the case of Seabrook, due to contract issues or age. Tanev is 28, which is still decently young and Toronto would be getting him to play with Rielly on the first pairing. The price should be put accordingly.
- Vancouver very much needs that RHD prospect. Räsänen isn't the blue-chipper we'd want back, but he is a recent 2nd round pick and is still more than a decent prospect. I like having a guy with size on the back-end, and we really lack that in the prospect pool anyway. The loss of Räsänen isn't that big for the Leafs. They have Liljegren for the top pairing.
- The first rounder is the 25th, which is quite late. There are still a bunch of great prospects available, but the chance that pick develops to something like Tanev is low, so another pick would have to come with it. The condition will depend on the amount of games he plays. If Tanev plays all the games next season, it's a first (we all know this won't happen, but if it does then the Leafs win aye). If Tanev plays at least 70 games, due to injury (this isn't an issue, giving Liljegren 10 games in the NHL would probably do him a lot of good) then it's a second. If he plays between 41-70 games, due to injury, it's a third, and if he misses the season then it becomes a fourth round pick.

For those Canucks fans who are optimistic about Tanev - I mean come on, you can only have so many freak injuries and mump outbreaks in a row, he is going to catch a break sometime - the return would be in the ballpark of what we would want, which is a 1st + 2nd + prospect. For the Leafs fans who feel like Tanev will basically die next season, they pay for a top 4 D without giving up anything of high value, a low first, a low fourth and a prospect. It's a risk but I if it works out, then the Leafs get a great defenseman for lower than market value (1st+2nd+2nd). The Marlies are probably the best team in the AHL, and you've got enough RHD that could settle on the bottom pairing. It's not ideal, but you accommodate the missing games. I doubt it will be even close to 40 games missed next year. Playing with Rielly might even make up for it. I see about 15 missed games next year.

Nov 1, 2011
TML 2019 1st + TML 2018 1st for Tanev + VAN 3rd

Logic, TML wants Tanev, Vancouver wants more than just a late 1st.

Vancouver moves up 44 spots in the current draft from 69th to 25th but more importantly they get another 1st in the 2019 draft which they are hosting (albeit likely a late one).

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
1st rounder 2019 with GP conditions + 2nd rounder.

First round pick drops a round every 10 games he misses due to injury.

I don't think Tanev will get what nucks fans are praying, especially with Dim Jim running the team. He will probably throw in his obligatory second rounder the other way.

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
1st rounder 2019 with GP conditions + 2nd rounder.

First round pick drops a round every 10 games he misses due to injury.

I don't think Tanev will get what nucks fans are praying, especially with Dim Jim running the team. He will probably throw in his obligatory second rounder the other way.
Wow, delusional to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad