Proposal: I WANT TANEV!!!!! (TOR/VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Do some research, during those years of 15-20 games missed,once it was due to a mono outbreak within the team and the other was from a fluke puck to the face and surgery was required, both fluke injuries and time missed
Tanev has played more than 55 games only 3 times in his career. You can pretty much count on him missing 15 to 20 games regardless if it is a fluke injury.

Edit: since the lockout season he has played an average of 59.6 games per season.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I am with you on this. If he is so great why isn't every other team asking....what will it cost to get kapanen? There isn't one person asking that so that should give away what his value is.
They are. Kapanen is the fastest skater on an already fast team. Due to the forward depth, he is marginalized a bit on the leafs.

Not giving him up for free

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Let’s not pretend fan interest in a player reflects a team’s interest in a player.

Fans will almost always go for the sexy choice; which Tanev is not. (Not because he’s not good, but zero offense, ceiling known, etc)
Exactly the point i was making....hf posters do not set value.

Mancesco Franquilini

Vancouver Canucks GM
Jan 5, 2009
Los Angeles
You must be trolling when you question a guy's goal totals after he's player less than 60 NHL games and has spent most of them on the 4th line (because of Toronto's RW depth). Or are you just deficient?
I just think it's so brave for somebody to claim he is better than Michael Grabner based off of 60 NHL games where he scored 9 goals, and three AHL seasons where he never eclipsed 18 goals...

How can you so confidently say he's Grabner with "better hands" when Grabner had 34 goals in his first full NHL season, and has since had four 20+ goal seasons? And if you're going to compare AHL numbers, Grabner potted 30 and 22 goals in the AHL, and had multiple 30-goal seasons in juniors as well.

But go ahead, tell me Kapanen is "Grabner with better hands" based on your argument that he hasn't played in the NHL long enough to show it, like he started playing hockey yesterday.

If he's on the 4th line, there's probably a reason he's on the 4th line. Because he's not Michael Grabner. And Michael Grabner would not be on the 4th line on the Leafs, because he's a legitimate offensive threat.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I just think it's so brave for somebody to claim he is better than Michael Grabner based off of 60 NHL games where he scored 9 goals, and three AHL seasons where he never eclipsed 18 goals...

How can you so confidently say he's Grabner with "better hands" when Grabner had 34 goals in his first full NHL season, and has since had four 20+ goal seasons? And if you're going to compare AHL numbers, Grabner potted 30 and 22 goals in the AHL, and had multiple 30-goal seasons in juniors as well.

But go ahead, tell me Kapanen is "Grabner with better hands" based on your argument that he hasn't played in the NHL long enough to show it, like he started playing hockey yesterday.

If he's on the 4th line, there's probably a reason he's on the 4th line. Because he's not Michael Grabner. And Michael Grabner would not be on the 4th line on the Leafs, because he's a legitimate offensive threat.

No, obviously Micheal Grabner is the pinnacle of the NHL and there will never be another player like him.

Do you not understand prospect projections? I cannot believe that you are this clueless. I hope you're not real, for your own sake.

Reactions: manroth19

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
*Every other fan base continuously remarks how Kapanen isn’t worth as much as Leafs fans think*
Leafs fans: Am I wrong?
Leafs fans: No, it is the children who are wrong.
You are not credible at all. This crap goes on and on. Kapanen is one of the fastest skaters in the league, just like his father was. He was a key piece of the Kessel trade. Stop troll people with your bs.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
They are. Kapanen is the fastest skater on an already fast team. Due to the forward depth, he is marginalized a bit on the leafs.

Not giving him up for free

Give it up already, Canuck fans have made it clear they don't want/need Kapanen.

Got anything else for sale?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You are not credible at all. This crap goes on and on. Kapanen is one of the fastest skaters in the league, just like his father was. He was a key piece of the Kessel trade. Stop troll people with your bs.

Being fast doesn’t mean anything if you aren’t scoring.

But then, you’re the guy who thinks Rielly is a far superior player to Dumba just because he weighs more so I’m not really surprised.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Being fast doesn’t mean anything if you aren’t scoring.

But then, you’re the guy who thinks Rielly is a far superior player to Dumba just because he weighs more so I’m not really surprised.
OMG...this again. Should we pull out every stat again you troll to prove this. You just look like a fool.
QOC possession et al?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I'd hazard a guess at a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Probably hovers at a 40-50 point average over his peak years. Keep in mind all I know about him is what's been talked about in these threads.

Work ethic and situational awareness.

Admittedly, Tanev doesn't have a lot of 'natural talent' so he can't get by on coasting through games and throwing up numbers here and there. He simply is a work horse in the defensive end, a lot of the time throwing himself into shots and taking beatings along the boards most players wouldn't do in the regular season. That's half the reason he's injured so often.

He's a model player for Don Cherry's "good ol' Canadian kid" award.
So, Kris Russell but better?

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So, Kris Russell but better?

I didn't mean to insinuate Tanev was an idiot. He just doesn't have the offensive IQ or puck skills to put up numbers. He has a coaches mind for the game and works well with systems to neutralize counter rushes and clog passing lanes.

Russel is a poor player comparison in many aspects.

Reactions: TS Quint

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Hmmm... you claim to represent Leaf fans and yet many Leaf fans do want Mr Tanev.

(especially the OP)
how am I representing leaf fans lol, I have my opinion and only mine, stop putting words in my mouth. The O.P has his opinion and I have mine, pretty sure thats allowed no?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Kap and a 1st?

nah, not for a guy who will only play 40-60 games.

he hit 70 games once...in his entire hockey career. and it was exactly 70
by comparison Lupul did it 5 times.

PASS

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

I'm a leafs fan and I agree with this.

It's common around here for people to run with prospects and their potential vs. proven careers.

Perhaps Grabner is not a good example.

Kapanen does a lot of good things out there. His speed is a factor. He has pretty decent IQ. He's got a little way to go to be as good as Grabner.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Tanev has played more than 55 games only 3 times in his career. You can pretty much count on him missing 15 to 20 games regardless if it is a fluke injury.

Edit: since the lockout season he has played an average of 59.6 games per season.

His last season skews that number. Would you bet a significant amount of money of him playing less than 65 games next season? We are acting like this is like a projectable state like we are graphing things with exact correlation. If he averages 80 games you sure as hell aren't getting him for a mid to late first... You're paying for what you get.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
So after a bunch of responses sounds like if we ignore the one high (60 pt) and one low (35 pt) estimates.....sounds like most people estimate KK will be:

40-50 point two way guy with great speed & PK’er, albeit he doesn’t have great hockey IQ his speed creates chances.

Tanev is a proven elite shut down guy, with very limited offensive ability and injury troubles. He’s 28 yrs old with two year term before Ufa.

If we assume KK is the base for a return on Tanev what if anything needs to be added to KK to get Tanev?

I assume Nucks want value like assuming he will resign in two years. Leaf fans likely assuming they are buying him for two years or at least only want to pay for two years service b/c there is no guarantee he will resign. Nucks will value his shut down ability as a top pairing guy, while Leaf fans will point out his bottom pairing offensive ability. Likely means his value is around a #3D who is often injured and two years term.

IMO as a fan of neither team, Tanev likely returns KK & 2nd rd pick. I think KK & 1st is a bit of a stretch and less likely. Keep in mind KK is nhl ready, so the development already in him is worth value. My $0.02

Reactions: Fogelhund

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
His last season skews that number. Would you bet a significant amount of money of him playing less than 65 games next season? We are acting like this is like a projectable state like we are graphing things with exact correlation. If he averages 80 games you sure as hell aren't getting him for a mid to late first... You're paying for what you get.
Oh I completel agree, if Tanev was playing 80 games a season he would be worth far more. I commented originally that he missed 15-20 games a a season on average since the lockout. I then looked at the actually numbers and saw he has played 60 games on average a season since then.

I get the recent seasons skew it but it isn't like he was playing anywhere close to a 82 game season in the previous years and recent season usually are more important anyways.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
So after a bunch of responses sounds like if we ignore the one high (60 pt) and one low (35 pt) estimates.....sounds like most people estimate KK will be:

40-50 point two way guy with great speed & PK’er, albeit he doesn’t have great hockey IQ his speed creates chances.

Tanev is a proven elite shut down guy, with very limited offensive ability and injury troubles. He’s 28 yrs old with two year term before Ufa.

If we assume KK is the base for a return on Tanev what if anything needs to be added to KK to get Tanev?

I assume Nucks want value like assuming he will resign in two years. Leaf fans likely assuming they are buying him for two years or at least only want to pay for two years service b/c there is no guarantee he will resign. Nucks will value his shut down ability as a top pairing guy, while Leaf fans will point out his bottom pairing offensive ability. Likely means his value is around a #3D who is often injured and two years term.

IMO as a fan of neither team, Tanev likely returns KK & 2nd rd pick. I think KK & 1st is a bit of a stretch and less likely. Keep in mind KK is nhl ready, so the development already in him is worth value. My $0.02
your post makes sense, I am of the opinion that the Leafs are only adding to their roster. So any player that looks to be on the roster next yr will not be given up lightly. Thats why I keep coming back to our 1st+Rasanen+the obligatory 3rd to off set Benning`s obligatory 2nd lol

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Ok, then don't target him. This thread was made by a Leafs fan...
Unfortunately I don't control what every leaf fans says....

That being said I think a 1st plus a 2019 2nd would be workable from the Leafs prospective and would be relatively fair if perhaps slightly under market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad