Proposal: I WANT TANEV!!!!! (TOR/VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
For those whom believe Tanev is overrated, I get that he misses games, but he is still a significant difference maker, and could be the difference in any given playoff round...

View media item 2399
Isolated stay-at-home-defensemen by using 2 metrics: -ve rel CF and ZSR. I then compared rel CA vs. ZSR Tanev comfortably the best rel to his peers at suppressing shot attempts. Guddy, not so great (Orpik in pretty bad territory). #Canucks

Also don’t discount the west coast travel factor. Players out here have always had injury issues...

Last edited:

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
They are. Kapanen is the fastest skater on an already fast team. Due to the forward depth, he is marginalized a bit on the leafs.

Not giving him up for free

They are not asking. I see 6 tanev requests a week and he (according to leaf fans is crap). I see no one asking for kapanen and he has 9 points and is worth the world. That's a joke. Brandon tanev is fast...he in no world would return a d man or Chris tanev value....and he scored more than kapanen.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Ok so Nucks and Leafs fans are generally in agreement:

1st+2nd and Bracco and we're good or what?

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I'm surprised a Leaf fan would openly shout out from a rooftop "I Want Tanev!!! " lol.

Stats above say a fair bit.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
I want like you Tanev to my best defensive and hardly hits remove and its clearer we will be like 11+11 champions Sweden and Czech Republic but in the league for us Leafs fans.

I holds on Leafs if they get right team and its my team with Guentzel and some medium class they preppering then 4 world class defenseman and 4 rotatate then Petter Nilsson and current reservist for Maple Leafs. My Leafs are very best choise for current coach too.

Last edited:

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Guentzel are my best choise in offensive 1st line.

Kadri is choise in 2nd line.

Kapanen are 2nd line him too.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Yes he is well worth 2 late 1st's.

Especially in a thread entitled " I WANT TANEV!!!!! "
Teams trading a 1st is fairly rare. But a team trading 2 consecutive 1sts almost never happens. Especially in a cap works where having players on entry level deaks is vital to manage the cap. The last example I can think of is Toronto trading 2 1sts and a 2nd for Kessel. Thst didn’t work out very well for them.

I think it would take a franchise level player to garner 2 1sts in this day and age. Regardless of the lateness of the 1sts. Trading away 2 1sts potentially handcuffs a team going forward. Tanev isn’t an important enough piece to take that risk for

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Teams trading a 1st is fairly rare. But a team trading 2 consecutive 1sts almost never happens. Especially in a cap works where having players on entry level deaks is vital to manage the cap. The last example I can think of is Toronto trading 2 1sts and a 2nd for Kessel. Thst didn’t work out very well for them.

I think it would take a franchise level player to garner 2 1sts in this day and age. Regardless of the lateness of the 1sts. Trading away 2 1sts potentially handcuffs a team going forward. Tanev isn’t an important enough piece to take that risk for
In a world in which you never kniw what will happen....trading 2 1sts might get you Phil Kessel....but cost you Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton. Hypothetically speaking of course.....

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
They are not asking. I see 6 tanev requests a week and he (according to leaf fans is crap). I see no one asking for kapanen and he has 9 points and is worth the world. That's a joke. Brandon tanev is fast...he in no world would return a d man or Chris tanev value....and he scored more than kapanen.
Just because Tanev has been in the league a while. Just because you are ignorant of prospects doesn't mean everyone is

Oignon Saute

Dec 19, 2011
I will throw this out there:

Toronto
Tanev
Sutter @50% (Leafs could use a3C)

Vancouver
1st 2018
2nd 2018
2nd 2019
Carrick/Bracco/Rosen

(Canucks fan if not clear) This thread should have ended on like the 3rd post, this is a good deal. I may be a bit pedantic and come back with Sutter @40% but whatevs. Getting two picks in this draft should be a priority for us, we have 6 currently, which is laughable. Getting a 2nd for the draft in Vancouver next year is also a major plus. Gives Benning an option to negotiate if he wants to acquire a very late first next year to march a second prospect up in front of the home fans. From a Toronto perspective I couldn't stop thinking about how much Tanev would have helped in the playoffs. I guarantee they make it past Boston with him.

Ok so Nucks and Leafs fans are generally in agreement:

1st+2nd and Bracco and we're good or what?

I agree, with a definite preference to the 2nd being 2018 as well. Don't like this deal as much as the first one quoted as I highly prioritize picking up picks and think Sutter, while a serviceable player, is of no use to Van where we are as an organization (that is bad at hockey for the next 2 years min)

Reactions: Liferleafer

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Shouldn't be a problem, Leafs can get 4 firsts back if they don't match the inevitable Arizona offer-sheet on Matthews.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
In a world in which you never kniw what will happen....trading 2 1sts might get you Phil Kessel....but cost you Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton. Hypothetically speaking of course.....

Well this year's pick is #25... and next year's could be lottery-protected if you're worried your Leafs won't make the playoffs. :)

Mancesco Franquilini

Vancouver Canucks GM
Jan 5, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm a leafs fan and I agree with this.

It's common around here for people to run with prospects and their potential vs. proven careers.

Perhaps Grabner is not a good example.

Kapanen does a lot of good things out there. His speed is a factor. He has pretty decent IQ. He's got a little way to go to be as good as Grabner.
Cheers on a very calm and well thought out response to my legitimate question

I don’t argue that Kapanen has value - I just don’t want him sold to me as something that he hasn’t proven to being.

I think a lot about Jannick Hansen in Vancouver. Early in his career canucks fans tried to sell him as a guy that “once he figured X out” he’d be a 25 goal guy consistently. He never was that guy, but he was an amazing 3rd Line player who had the work rate on the forecheck and was amazing 2 ways with some speed as well. But he never was the prolific goal scorer so many people we’re convinced he’d magically become once he flicked some switch

I don’t doubt Kapanen Can score some goals in this league, but until I see him put up 20-25 goals consistently don’t sell him to me as a goal scorer like Grabner when he’s never showed he can do that in ANY league...

There’s value in other types of players too. Just be realistic about what a player really can provide and has proven can provide and assess accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->