Proposal: I WANT TANEV!!!!! (TOR/VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The same can be said for any prospect but Liljegren may also be a top pairing Dman 2-3 years from now.

The Leafs aren't thinking short term which is why they wouldn't even consider trading our highly touted top prospect who played great in his first year after being drafted for an injury prone 28 year old. It's not complicated.

Maybe this will help - if someone offered you the equivalent of Tanev for Hughes, how interested would you be?

Hughes was a top 7 pick, Liljegren was top 17. A more apt comparable would be someone like Juolevi. I'd think long and hard for trading Juolevi for Tanev, especially if we were able to compete right now. I might do it.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hughes was a top 7 pick, Liljegren was top 17. A more apt comparable would be someone like Juolevi. I'd think long and hard for trading Juolevi for Tanev, especially if we were able to compete right now. I might do it.
I'd argue that the trajectory of Liljgren's and Juolevi's careers are very different, currently.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Based upon....??

Everything we have available to us so far. Draft position, watching them play, and overall ceiling. Hughes' skating and IQ is through the roof and could be an elite PP QB in a similar vein to Ghost. I thought this place loved recency bias, what the hell?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

This means nothing, Liljegren was considered a lock to be a top 2 pick before getting injured. Of course that means nothing either, what matters is where we are today. Liljegren has had a great year, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he went higher than 7th in a re-draft. I could be wrong as I haven't followed the other guys so perhaps some more knowledgeable fans can chime in here but from what I've seen, Liljegren is amazing and so far, looks like he's the steal we were hoping he'd be.

Anyhow, as I said earlier I didn't mean this to be a shot at Hughes at all and I'm not interested in getting into a pissing match about our prospects. All I'm saying is I'm pretty damn sure we won't be giving up Liljegren for Tanev.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
It's a fine line we need to walk (balancing the now with the future). On one hand we're definitely in win now mode but on the other hand, we should be a contender for many years to come so we have to be careful not to be impatient and give up too much future in an effort to win now. We also have Liljegren on the way and some think he could be ready to help in the spring so the best trade might be the one we don't make. The numbers have been crunched and it looks like we can keep our core together for many years so I fully expect to stay among the elite teams in the league for the foreseeable future. What this means is that we really need to keep the pipeline stocked so that we have come cheap talent to surround our core with. That said, the only thing missing that would perfectly balance our team is a good right handed Dman so that is the one piece I could see coughing up some futures for.

It all depends on how our brass feels about Tanev's ability to stay healthy going forward. If they like his chances then I could see a deal like this happening as a 2 year rental suits our needs rather well. If not, we'll be looking elsewhere.
I feel like the deal I proposed does exactly that. It's just under the Hamonic deal in value with the conditional pick instead of a guaranteed 2nd. Rasanen = 2nd.
Drop the condition and make it Neilsen and you have a deal.
Not really interested in Neilsen, we have a glut of LHD as is and that's not including Juolevi and Hughes.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I feel like the deal I proposed does exactly that. It's just under the Hamonic deal in value with the conditional pick instead of a guaranteed 2nd. Rasanen = 2nd.

Sure, seems like it may well be a fair trade (assuming our brass feels like Tanev's health is worth the gamble and they don't have a better deal in the works).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Everything we have available to us so far. Draft position, watching them play, and overall ceiling. Hughes' skating and IQ is through the roof and could be an elite PP QB in a similar vein to Ghost. I thought this place loved recency bias, what the hell?
Disagree. We just watched Liljegren have a great year playing with/against men, Hughes has been great up to this point, but it gets tougher from here. I'm not saying Lil>>Hughes, just saying those stating Lil hasn't proven anything aren't paying attention.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Disagree. We just watched Liljegren have a great year playing with/against men, Hughes has been great up to this point, but it gets tougher from here. I'm not saying Lil>>Hughes, just saying those stating Lil hasn't proven anything aren't paying attention.

I think they both end up being great top 4 dmen. I don't claim to have watched Liljegren much outside the WJC, but I get the sense that Hughes has the higher offensive ceiling while Liljegren has the higher floor and is a safer pick to be a top 4 mainstay. Canucks need to prioritize the high ceiling and high skill players for their rebuild though.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
I think what he means is:

Huges
-
-
Liljegren
-
Juolevi.

I’d agree with this assessment at this stage. Of course there’s still plenty of time to change.

Hughes scored at a ppg pace through the second half of last season as the youngest player in the entire NCAA. It’s a very rare accomplishment. His skating is elite, which may currently be the most valuable skill in the NHL. He’s trending to become more productive than McAvoy and Werenski. Should be a fun year for Wolverines fans.

Liljegren looks closer to the prospect projected top 3, than the spot he fell to at the 2018 draft. I’m interested to see his game develop, and find out if he can translate it to the NHL. Some of his decision making still worries me honestly.

Juolevi... I’m still really not sure what he’ll become, but I’d bet he ends up a player sort of like Matt Niskanen. Mobile and smart 2 way 2nd pairing Dman.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
To TOR
Chris Tanev
Cole Cassels

To VAN

2018 1st
Kasperi Kapanen
Dakota Joshua

Tanev will help put TOR's D into the realm of respectability.

Rielly Tanev
Gardiner Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev
Borgman (7th D)
I wouldn't give up half of that you want to acquire Tanev. He's too injury-prone and old to give up Kapanen AND a 1ST

Mar 26, 2010
I wouldn't give up half of that you want to acquire Tanev. He's too injury-prone and old to give up Kapanen AND a 1ST
Also too slow with NO skill.

I don’t know why this thread is still open. Tanev is not getting traded.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I think they both end up being great top 4 dmen. I don't claim to have watched Liljegren much outside the WJC, but I get the sense that Hughes has the higher offensive ceiling while Liljegren has the higher floor and is a safer pick to be a top 4 mainstay. Canucks need to prioritize the high ceiling and high skill players for their rebuild though.

It'll be interesting to follow for sure. I had Liljegren around #9 in his draft year, and Hughes a bit earlier than that- but I do think last year's draft was deeper into the top 10. I like Dobson more than both.

Hughes is the slightly superior overall skater but certainly, the more explosive skater right now and has better vision overall- which is saying a lot. On the other hand, Liljegren is better seeing plays from his own end of the ice, the better passer from his own-end, and is a lot better at walking the line, IMO. They are both very good as puck carriers entering/exiting the zone.

If I had to criticize one thing about Liljegren's game, it's that he played too safe this year. He has a lot more to give but is playing the low-event safe game a lot of the times I caught Marlie games (which was a decent amount). Maybe a bit expected with the small ice, and he was playing a more conservative defensive game (actually his defensive game and physicality has been a huge surprise). He also gets knocked over easily, really not sure if it's a lower body strength issue or a balance issue with him. To be fair, he was an 18 year old player against grown men on small ice. I'm optimistic the sports science team can key in on that moving forward with Liljegren.

Hughes on the other hand, occasionally makes some bad reads on defense and has a bad habit of exiting the zone early. Both of them have a ways to go in terms of physical maturation (particularly their lower base), IMO that will be key to high their ceiling is.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
how the hell did this turn into Liljegren discussion? where the heck is the thread ignore feature, f*** sakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad