LeBrun: "I think you're talking Johnsson or Kapanen" for a RHD with term

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Could you please explain how trading for a backup and Clifford in any way affected trading for a D?

I’m not saying that this trade directly affects that. I just think that there are no realistic options of RHD with term who the leafs could Realistically get with Kapanen. I think the leafs are done. I also don’t see anyone else who can replace Kapanen in the top 9. Who do you see the leafs getting for Kapanen? Who replaces Kapanen in the top 9?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I’m not saying that this trade directly affects that. I just think that there are no realistic options of RHD with term who the leafs could Realistically get with Kapanen. I think the leafs are done. I also don’t see anyone else who can replace Kapanen in the top 9. Who do you see the leafs getting for Kapanen? Who replaces Kapanen in the top 9?
Apparently Dubas and Blake were trying to get Martinez added into their trade, but couldn't make the cap work. Not saying it involved Kapanen...but it shows Dubas is looking at D...he's not done.

Reactions: Tripod

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don't think GMs are dumb enough to take Kapanen or Johnsson as a centerpiece in return for a quality Dman. Would be a terrible idea in this NHL. Don't see that happening at all. Especially given that Toronto doesn't even have the picks available to bridge any gap in value..
Sounds more like Toronto is trying to get someone to bite on a stupid deal like that and is trying to draw some media attention to make it happen...

Objectively... if you're a rebuilding team with a defenceman that has a year or two left on his deal and can get Kapanen, Liljegren and Tornto's 1st next year, I think that opens a lot of doors in terms of quality defencemen.

You get a guy who's all but guaranteed to be a solid 2-way 2nd line winger who can drive the play if given the opportunity, making $3.2m for 2 years and still being an RFA afterwards. You get a right shot defenceman drafted 17th overall a couple of years ago, poised to step into the lineup immediately, with 2 years left on his ELC, and a 1st round pick.

Now, I'm not sure the Leafs are prepared to part with 3 assets of this calibre, and there is a further cap issue to resolve... but I see no reason why Kapanen or Johnsson cannot be the centrepiece for a high quality dman with some term.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Huuh, you shouldnt post without having a clue, Kerfoot plays Lw with Tavares and Nylander and has done that for a while now, Kapanen is with johnsson and Engvall as the C!

Kapanen has been up and down in the line up this season, here is his most used linemates,

Because Kassian can play with McDavid and is on the way for a 45-50 season doesnt make him a top 6 player, still a bottom guy but with some attribute who connects with McD.

Kapanen isnt a top 6 guy, but can keep up with them as a supporting guy , using his speed as in pk!
As I said he is a borderline 2nd liner now. Over the next 2 seasons I believe he will be putting up 50- 55 points with a very good two way game and very good pk ability. Meaning a very good 2nd liner. You are right about engvall centering him but your point earlier was he plays most with tavares or Matthew's.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
As I said he is a borderline 2nd liner now. Over the next 2 seasons I believe he will be putting up 50- 55 points with a very good two way game and very good pk ability. Meaning a very good 2nd liner. You are right about engvall centering him but your point earlier was he plays most with tavares or Matthew's.

Cant you read those line kombinations for last and this season?, AM was his main C last season, he has mostly played with Leafs top players so his numbers isnt any special att all.

Hes now where he belongs , at a 3rd line, let see what he brings from there for the rest of the season!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Kris Russell can play the right side. Do the leafs need some elite shot blocking? :)

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Cant you read those line kombinations for last and this season?, AM was his main C last season, he has mostly played with Leafs top players so his numbers isnt any special att all.

Hes now where he belongs , at a 3rd line, let see what he brings from there for the rest of the season!
Last season sure. This season he was tried at left wing with Matthew's and tavares and it was horrible. They moved him back to rw and he's played very well and still produces on the 3rd line. Now if you believe he's done improving and getting better that's up to you. I've watched every leafs game kappy has played and I believe he solidifies himself as a 2nd liner as early as next year.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well boys...the injury bitch has kicked us in the sack again...Ceci now out for a while with an ankle injury. Trade proposals come on down!!

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Was just on radio here in Vancouver, Chris Johnson said the Leafs have heavily scouted the Canucks recent Eastern road trip and are potentially targeting Chris Tanev, Troy Stecher or Jordie Benn.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Isn't Chris Tanev a broken shell of himself?

The opposite, hes been really healthy this season. Primarily because he is playing with Quinn Hughes and they dont spend much time defending because Hughes is elite at exits.

Tanev has been fantastic. Pending UFA. Highly doubt the Canucks move him thought because he has been the best partner for Hughes.

Very Good if not Elite Shutdown Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad