LeBrun: "I think you're talking Johnsson or Kapanen" for a RHD with term

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Leafs Lunch: February 5th, 2020 - Hour 1 (~38:35)

Johnson: "... to acquire a guy [a right shot defensemen] with term... Is that a Kapanen? Is that Johnsson? Is that a Kerfoot? What would the Leafs have to consider to give up to get one of the guys you mentioned, a Dumba or a Manson or somebody of that ilk?"

LeBrun: "I think you're talking Johnsson or Kapanen... I was talking to a team today that is very high on Kapanen."

Thanks to @Big Daddy Cane for providing the actual quotes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Kappy is under rated on HFboards and has been since he was declared a bust before last season.

As I have said MANY times, it's a mistake for the Leafs to trade him. He's too important given his career of clutch goals, his speed, his PK ability, etc.

And I am not sure Dumba really fixes anything, unless the plan is to flip Barrie and let Dumba take over his spot of an offensive D.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Kappy is under rated on HFboards and has been since he was declared a bust before last season.

As I have said MANY times, it's a mistake for the Leafs to trade him. He's too important given his career of clutch goals, his speed, his PK ability, etc.

And I am not sure Dumba really fixes anything, unless the plan is to flip Barrie and let Dumba take over his spot of an offensive D.

That was my thinking a week ago. Dumba will make much less than Barrie will I’m assuming?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Seems to good to be true

It's probable that a D man moves out, to accommodate the addition of one. For example, Ceci could be moved, either to Minnesota in this example, or whatever other team is involved... in order to facilitate cap, and give Minny a RHD for the balance of the season. Minnesota has the cap room... Note, I'm not commenting on LeBrun's value proposition, just stating how it "could" work with the cap.

Haha... you've edited twice since I started typing my response... now my response looks so random.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
That was my thinking a week ago. Dumba will make much less than Barrie will I’m assuming?

Probably. I assume Barrie makes over 7M with term. Dumba is cost controlled. But it's a gamble trading a guy like Kapanen for an offensive D who isn't producing and hoping it's just a off year.

However there are two considerations here

- Dubas likely hesitates because right now we are supposed to be competing, and need to make the playoffs. Downgrading a useful player to take on a "reclaimation" project for the season is a big gamble. Even if he rebounds next year, this year could be lost if he doesn't turn it around.

- Dumba at his best is probably more valuable, but people are forgetting that this would be selling low because the Wild don't think he will figure it out there, and they get a valuable piece back.

People on here just think in a bubble and don't give any considerations for the actual impacts deals like these have. The Leafs have good reason to hold onto Kappy.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Probably. I assume Barrie makes over 7M with term. Dumba is cost controlled. But it's a gamble trading a guy like Kapanen for an offensive D who isn't producing and hoping it's just a off year.

However there are two considerations here

- Dubas likely hesitates because right now we are supposed to be competing, and need to make the playoffs. Downgrading a useful player to take on a "reclaimation" project for the season is a big gamble. Even if he rebounds next year, this year could be lost if he doesn't turn it around.

- Dumba at his best is probably more valuable, but people are forgetting that this would be selling low because the Wild don't think he will figure it out there, and they get a valuable piece back.

People on here just think in a bubble
and don't give any considerations for the actual impacts deals like these have. The Leafs have good reason to hold onto Kappy.
Speaking of which, I have yet to see one of these talking heads explain how Guerin fits another winger onto this roster.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
People are going to be surprised how much value he has.

- Name recognition and pedigree (1st round pick, NHL bloodlines, traded for Kessel)
- 23 with significant untapped potential (was overcooked in the AHL)
- Elite attributes (skating especially, hands/shot combo)
- Great PKer
- 45-50 point guy from the bottom six
- Cheap contract with term
- RFA (still) at the end of his current contract
- Right handed shot (can play both sides, but is better at RW)

There's a huge amount of control and potential with this player.

I give it less than half a season after he's traded before people start proclaiming Kapanen is a top line player.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Ah, so Lebrun is only one of the most trusted and connected insiders until he says something you don't like. Fantastic.

It's not just that its a deal not to be liked, it's a deal that literally doesn't make any sense for Minnesota. The Wild already have a log jam at wing, and Kaprizov coming over next season only makes things more crowded.

The Wild need centers, not wings.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Ah, so Lebrun is only one of the most trusted and connected insiders until he says something you don't like. Fantastic.

I think it's pretty clear I was being facetious. But at the same time it's very hard to trust someone who is covering a trade based off of speculation especially when it is broadcasted mainly to fans of one of the two teams.

FWIW, Lebrun is generally good. However, in this situation, as is with most MTL insiders in Canadien based trades it seems very 'Hopeful' on behalf of the Leafs. If it happens good for the Leafs, I still hold to it that this is very very wishful thinking.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Speaking of which, I have yet to see one of these talking heads explain how Guerin fits another winger onto this roster.

I'm not suggesting it fills a need for the Wild. I am talking only about the Leafs perspective. Kapanen is really valued and for good reason. He is under valued on here, likely because his stat line is not sexy being behind Nylander and Marner on the depth chart, but he is a very important piece.

You hear all the time about GM's finding guys they think are used wrong. I bet there are several GM's who see his skillset, his grit play, his speed, his PKing, and think if they can get him in their top 6 he will produce more like he has when in our top 6 for short bursts.

However, the Leafs have no reason to sell him "low" to how they value him. So I absolutely believe a deal like Dumba was offered and the Leafs have hesitated. I think they would prefer to get a D who fills a weakness on the blue line first if they could, and not use their 1 trade chip aside from the big 3 on a guy they are not convinced improves the defense.

Our defense puts up points like no ones business. Dumba isn't going to really add much there, and he isn't someone who will matchup with top lines and shut them down.

People need to stop taking offense and trying to use smart remarks and consider that moving Kapanen for anything other than a piece that improves the team makes them a lot worse.

Nevermind that if one of Marner / Nylander got hurt, that means the next best RW is probably Spezza....

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad