LeBrun: "I think you're talking Johnsson or Kapanen" for a RHD with term

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
i posted in another thread that this feels like a LTIR thing to open up cap for a deal with a D that makes a little more.

They technically already have that with Rielly out, but I wonder if Dubas isn’t perhaps keeping a “healthy enough” Rielly out to properly rest up for the playoffs, and yet not using the cap space in case they need to bring him back to push for the berth.

Ceci being out “until the playoffs” does free up a lot of room for an addition to the backend, even if Ceci returns in the post-season.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
They technically already have that with Rielly out, but I wonder if Dubas isn’t perhaps keeping a “healthy enough” Rielly out to properly rest up for the playoffs, and yet not using the cap space in case they need to bring him back to push for the berth.

Ceci being out “until the playoffs” does free up a lot of room for an addition to the backend, even if Ceci returns in the post-season.
i doubt he's holding Rielly out...we may not make the playoffs. If he's ready, he's playing.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
i doubt he's holding Rielly out...we may not make the playoffs. If he's ready, he's playing.

Until the trade deadline, it’s good to hold him out and see what comes up.

Chicago managed to convert keeping Kane out of the lineup into adding Vermette and a Stanley Cup.

Forcing Rielly back into the lineup isn’t necessary. Since the Leafs fired Babcock they’re 5th overall in points earned. That’s been almost entirely without Rielly.

If they can maintain that pace, and their schedule is getting easier, so it’s achievable, then Rielly doesn’t NEED to be brought back as soon as he can be crammed into a pair of skates.

Between Ceci and Rielly that’s almost $10M in “available” cap space. The Leafs could do a lot with that, and still have a fully rested Rielly ready for game 1 of the playoffs (“by magic... because it’s not cap circumvention...)

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Was just on radio here in Vancouver, Chris Johnson said the Leafs have heavily scouted the Canucks recent Eastern road trip and are potentially targeting Chris Tanev, Troy Stecher or Jordie Benn.

Tanev!!!

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

Tanev is exactly the player the Leafs need. Just so smart, smooth and elite at defending.

I think the Leafs should go after him in the off-season when he is a UFA. it will be hard to pry him out of the Canucks before the TDL though unless they completely self implode and lose a bunch of games in a row and out of a playoff spot.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Tanev is exactly the player the Leafs need. Just so smart, smooth and elite at defending.
This.

He also has not missed a game this season and has been the rock defensively that has allowed Quinn Hughes to develop so quickly. He is well liked and well respected in the dressing room. The Canucks could do very well in a trade for him at the deadline. Of course, there is pretty much zero chance this happen. It's even more remote than Edler agreeing to waive his no movement clause without being asked! He will be an interesting free agent though...

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
This.

He also has not missed a game this season and has been the rock defensively that has allowed Quinn Hughes to develop so quickly. He is well liked and well respected in the dressing room. The Canucks could do very well in a trade for him at the deadline. Of course, there is pretty much zero chance this happen. It's even more remote than Edler agreeing to waive his no movement clause without being asked! He will be an interesting free agent though...

If the Canucks want him, and i dont see any reason why they wouldnt because they dont have anyone in the system that is ready to take his place, then i think Tanev will sign a friendly deal and stay. Yesterday was his 500th NHL game and he couldnt stop talking about how proud he is that all his games have been for 1 team.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Was just on radio here in Vancouver, Chris Johnson said the Leafs have heavily scouted the Canucks recent Eastern road trip and are potentially targeting Chris Tanev, Troy Stecher or Jordie Benn.

Why do you have to bring this up?

Tanev is a key piece to our D having a great year. "Injury prone" followed by the name "Ceci" will be uttered in response to his value, I'm sure.

Stecher is a good depth piece, and the only reason I'd want him moved would be to clear up cap for another trade.

Benn just signed a cheap contract with his hometown team, and I don't see us getting anything valuable for him. He's also LHD that can play right, not a right handers.

Johnsson and Kapanen are listed as what Dubas is expecting to move, and we are packed to the gills with middle six forwards.

This is why we can have nice things.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Not sure why the Canucks would move Tanev in the position they are in...but i would trade for him as a rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad