OT: I relinquish the OT thread rights. We need a PK thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penalty Killa

glitter skates
Oct 1, 2007
Sabres Nation
To the parents out there, head this little story on the radio today and we couldn't stop laughing. Have any of you been on either end of something like this?

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/yea...chool-friend/story-25884528-detail/story.html

I saw that too. Ridiculous.

We haven't come across that yet, but it brings back bad memories of the 4 people who no-showed to our wedding. And when we paid $100 per person at our wedding, it was pretty disappointing when they said they come and just didn't show up...especially since three were members of my extended family.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I still find it comical that after 2 years and 3 months my old job still fishes around periodically that they want me back.
I guess what really makes me laugh is how they fish around.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Can't wait to get back into the working groove, this whole not being able to stand for an hour without horrible kidney pain is really pissing me off.

Hoping that I can get this all fixed in a month and get a new job lined up than.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Surely that's been the highlight of your adventures so far. :laugh:

High point of Delaware is embedded in the sidewalk along a two lane road. That was weird. An older woman even came out of her house and greeted us and asked us to sign a ledger to document we were at Delaware's HP. Hilarious. :biglaugh:

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
What mountain did you summit?

The wife and I do state high points. Most we climb, a few we drive up. We are at 24 states so far .... This June we climb this bad boy ...

http://www.summitpost.org/wheeler-peak-nm/150429

We just did Dix Mountain:
507619.jpg

We are working to become Adirondack Winter 46ers, but this was only our sixth peak. It was 13.6 mile hike starting in -12 degree weather and it was amazing! Great views, despite the piercing cold.

I know a few people who do the fifty state high points. That's a really cool way to get out and see the USA and it's varying natural habitats. Good luck on Wheeler Peak. That looks intimidating as all hell, but the intimidating ones are usually some of the most memorable.

Are you saving Britton Hill for last? edit- nvmd. Just saw you already did that. I know a few people who saved that for last so they had a nice vacation after an easy climb.

How about Hawaii?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
We just did Dix Mountain:
507619.jpg

We are working to become Adirondack Winter 46ers, but this was only our sixth peak. It was 13.6 mile hike starting in -12 degree weather and it was amazing! Great views, despite the piercing cold.

I know a few people who do the fifty state high points. That's a really cool way to get out and see the USA and it's varying natural habitats. Good luck on Wheeler Peak. That looks intimidating as all hell, but the intimidating ones are usually some of the most memorable.

Are you saving Britton Hill for last? edit- nvmd. Just saw you already did that. I know a few people who saved that for last so they had a nice vacation after an easy climb.

How about Hawaii?

Winter hiking is a whole different animal from "good weather" hiking. My hat off to you for doing that. Dix mountain is a very nice climb. I think the wife and I are at 6 or 8 Adirondack peaks. It's a very fun park.

The wife and I got married in Hawaii, so you know we just HAD to summit Mauna Kea. Truth be told however, being from 300 ft. above sea level Buffalo, and having limited time to squeeze as much in as possible, we took a "tour" of sorts on a 4x4 econoline van. The base was at 75 deg., the summit was 35! And the air was thin thin thin. Some of the tourists needed oxygen and had to stay in the van. Once we got out of the van, we walked (slowly to not get winded) past all the different countries observatory's and about 300 yards to the actual high point of Hawaii. THAT was a life changing view!

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Winter hiking is a whole different animal from "good weather" hiking. My hat off to you for doing that. Dix mountain is a very nice climb. I think the wife and I are at 6 or 8 Adirondack peaks. It's a very fun park.

The wife and I got married in Hawaii, so you know we just HAD to summit Mauna Kea. Truth be told however, being from 300 ft. above sea level Buffalo, and having limited time to squeeze as much in as possible, we took a "tour" of sorts on a 4x4 econoline van. The base was at 75 deg., the summit was 35! And the air was thin thin thin. Some of the tourists needed oxygen and had to stay in the van. Once we got out of the van, we walked (slowly to not get winded) past all the different countries observatory's and about 300 yards to the actual high point of Hawaii. THAT was a life changing view!

Just took a look at some pictures of Mauna Kea. That's incredible. 13K feet elevation is no joke.

We honeymooned on Kauai, but there were no real peaks to climb. Though we did hike a large chunk of the Na Pali Coast. It was strange for me to hike in a tropical climate when i am so used to Adirondack trails and some of the smaller park trails around Rochester.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Just took a look at some pictures of Mauna Kea. That's incredible. 13K feet elevation is no joke.

We honeymooned on Kauai, but there were no real peaks to climb. Though we did hike a large chunk of the Na Pali Coast. It was strange for me to hike in a tropical climate when i am so used to Adirondack trails and some of the smaller park trails around Rochester.

Yea, Mauna Kea reminded us of Mars. So barren and alien at the top. We got married at the St. Regis Princeville Resort on Kauai, right on the beach as the sun was starting to set. And the next morning we woke up and hiked the Na Pali coast for a couple hours. Walked along the bamboo and the strong scent of Guava. To this day, I still buy cans of guava juice at Wegmans :laugh:

Then spent the next 15 days checking out Kauai, Oahu, Maui, and The Big Island. A lot to cram into 15 days but we were non stop on the go 16+ hour days.

Are you an avid hiker/camper or just once every few years you go?

Fun fact ... From Wikipedia ... Standing 13,803 ft (4,207 m) above sea level, its peak is the highest point in the U.S. state of Hawaii. However, much of Mauna Kea is below sea level; when measured from its oceanic base, its height is 33,100 ft (10,100 m)—more than twice Mount Everest's base-to-peak height of 11,980 to 15,260 ft (3,650 to 4,650 m), making it the tallest mountain on Earth.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Yea, Mauna Kea reminded us of Mars. So barren and alien at the top. We got married at the St. Regis Princeville Resort on Kauai, right on the beach as the sun was starting to set. And the next morning we woke up and hiked the Na Pali coast for a couple hours. Walked along the bamboo and the strong scent of Guava. To this day, I still buy cans of guava juice at Wegmans :laugh:

Then spent the next 15 days checking out Kauai, Oahu, Maui, and The Big Island. A lot to cram into 15 days but we were non stop on the go 16+ hour days.

Oh man, the guava!! They were ripe and rotten on most of our trail, so i was feeling a little nauseated by the half way point before i rallied and got over it. Sounds like a heck of a trip to Hawaii for you guys (Princeville was really nice). If we go back, we'll hit more of the islands. Kauai was beautiful, but we ran out of things to do by day 4.

We are avid hikers and i would say i am a more avid camper than my wife. She likes car camping and will go once a year, but i will go minimalist backpacking with a buddy of mine two or three times a year. I have climbed 21 of the high peaks, but i can't count 15 of them for the winter peaks. For the record, i do not camp in the winter. That's a little bit too hardcore for me.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Oh man, the guava!! They were ripe and rotten on most of our trail, so i was feeling a little nauseated by the half way point before i rallied and got over it. Sounds like a heck of a trip to Hawaii for you guys (Princeville was really nice). If we go back, we'll hit more of the islands. Kauai was beautiful, but we ran out of things to do by day 4.

We are avid hikers and i would say i am a more avid camper than my wife. She likes car camping and will go once a year, but i will go minimalist backpacking with a buddy of mine two or three times a year. I have climbed 21 of the high peaks, but i can't count 15 of them for the winter peaks. For the record, i do not camp in the winter. That's a little bit too hardcore for me.

That's awesome. Yea, my wife and I tried minimalist backpacking once .... So needless to say, there hasn't been a second time (wife hated it) :biglaugh: None of my friends hike or camp, so just the wife and I car camp and summit high points. We only get to go once a year, but we try to make the most of it and do more than one highpoint when we have the energy.

And yea, winter camping is crazy. I've never done it, and don't want to. The latest I've tent camped is late October. And THAT was crazy cold. That's why I commend you for hiking in snow and ice. The scenery has to be breathtaking but the bitter cold would get to me. I couldn't enjoy it as much as I want to. PM me anytime to swap stories, experiences, advice etc ... :5:

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
That's awesome. Yea, my wife and I tried minimalist backpacking once .... So needless to say, there hasn't been a second time (wife hated it) :biglaugh: None of my friends hike or camp, so just the wife and I car camp and summit high points. We only get to go once a year, but we try to make the most of it and do more than one highpoint when we have the energy.

And yea, winter camping is crazy. I've never done it, and don't want to. The latest I've tent camped is late October. And THAT was crazy cold. That's why I commend you for hiking in snow and ice. The scenery has to be breathtaking but the bitter cold would get to me. I couldn't enjoy it as much as I want to. PM me anytime to swap stories, experiences, advice etc ... :5:

Absolutely. I could go on for days about hiking/camping etc. Keep me posted on your High Points summits.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Fun fact ... From Wikipedia ... Standing 13,803 ft (4,207 m) above sea level, its peak is the highest point in the U.S. state of Hawaii. However, much of Mauna Kea is below sea level; when measured from its oceanic base, its height is 33,100 ft (10,100 m)—more than twice Mount Everest's base-to-peak height of 11,980 to 15,260 ft (3,650 to 4,650 m), making it the tallest mountain on Earth.

Cerro Chirripo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerro_Chirripó I haven't yet visited. Considering I'm gassed doing 5K's at 4400-5000 feet, I have no idea how I'd deal with more than 2.5 times that to summit.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yesterday my daughter has her birthday. Today she has strep throat.

:(

At least she enjoyed her birthday cupcake yesterday when I had lunch with her at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad