OT: I relinquish the OT thread rights. We need a PK thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whammer

Sep 22, 2005
Grand Island
www.myspace.com
So I will be getting glasses when we return to the States. I used to be near-sighted, but worked on correcting that with exercises. Now it seems I'm developing proximity blurriness, far-sighted stuff. Crap. Maybe I'll look studious in some half-lense cheaters? OK, who am I kidding... :biglaugh:

And I'll be losing mine soon. After the fluid behind the retina dissipates I get to have cataract surgery! Yippee! I've had specs since 5th grade. What a feeling that will be to not have glasses on after 38 plus years of having them.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And I'll be losing mine soon. After the fluid behind the retina dissipates I get to have cataract surgery! Yippee! I've had specs since 5th grade. What a feeling that will be to not have glasses on after 38 plus years of having them.

Cataract surgery? After the retina stuff? Holy jumpin'... Will you need that chair again? I could talk to the F-i-L if you need it.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I've had glasses since halfway through kindergarten. Wore contacts for a while from high school to early twenties. But between having one break in my eye and having to have an eye doctor remove it and them drying out die to the heat and smoke at work I gave up on them.

Anything past about 18 inches starts to get blurry. It's so much fun. I've worn glasses so long that I don't think I look right with out them. Even my daughter looks at me weird when they are off.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I've had glasses since halfway through kindergarten. Wore contacts for a while from high school to early twenties. But between having one break in my eye and having to have an eye doctor remove it and them drying out die to the heat and smoke at work I gave up on them.

Anything past about 18 inches starts to get blurry. It's so much fun. I've worn glasses so long that I don't think I look right with out them. Even my daughter looks at me weird when they are off.

I can't imagine me going through all the hassle that comes with contacts. I do know I need glasses but I've never done anything about it yet. I feel like I barely passed my last eye exam at the DMV and that was something like 10 years ago.

LASIK eye surgery seems like an awesome solution for those who have coverage for or can otherwise afford it. Certainly a better solution than contacts for those who don't want to wear glasses.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
re: Glasses -

I have a pair for distance, but I don't wear them unless I'm driving other people around. If I'm driving myself around I leave them off. It's a joke of a prescription, though. Like -0.25 and -0.5. I don't think I need them really.

Hey, any recommendations on on-line car dealers? ;) We're going to be shopping around when we get back into the States in April.

ChooseNissan.com *nudge* :)

OT Thread... If you're going to learn one thing from me, a 24 year old from Long Island, let it be this.

ahem

Do not... I repeat DO NOT try to play an hour of hockey off 5 hours of sleep when you are coming off the flu. Think I made it through about 35 minutes before I needed to get off the ice before I either fell over from exhaustion or puked everywhere. Took me about 15 minutes of doing nothing in the locker room before I felt back to normal again. Ugh.

Such a waste though, I was so mad at myself when I got to my car and looked at the time and saw that I should still be on the ice :(

But, in good news of the day, my coach said at this point I'm more than good enough to join a low level men's league team :D

Outside edges on turns are still a bit of a pain for me. I "hockey stop" with one foot. But I can cross-over left over right flawlessly, and my right over left is coming along. Very strange... I just need to get more ice time and keep working on it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Oh baby. My brothers were driving down the road today and saw some people playing pond hockey! I never even thought about that pond being a suitable spot to go skate.

I decided I was gonna go check it out for myself. Told my dad I was going to check it out and see if anyone was playing, I said over and over I wouldn't go out on it no matter what, and he had a conniption. Non-stop berating. Things like "don't you ever watch the news?!?!? No. All you watch is the stupid Rangers!" :laugh: He's not American and never really assimilated. It's a hurdle I've had to jump over my whole life, so I'm used to it at this point. Gotta respect your old man, even if you disagree with him on most things.

Still went. No one was out there when I went to look at it, so I threw a couple of rocks as high in the air as I could to see if they broke through the ice. Not one. Hell, one rock even cracked in half when it hit the surface :laugh:

So, I'm doing my duties. I've e-mailed the town to see if they know how deep the pond is. Hopefully it's a number that will suit my father. Unfortunately, it's gonna warm up here a bit. Over 32 for most days in the next five it looks like. So I'll probably have to wait 'til another "polar vortex" if anything. But man, what a resource it would be to just have that to go skate around on.

The perils of still living at home at age 24, I suppose. The lifestyle is a burden, but man is that rent great ;)

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Things like "don't you ever watch the news?!?!? No. All you watch is the stupid Rangers!" :laugh: He's not American and never really assimilated. It's a hurdle I've had to jump over my whole life, so I'm used to it at this point. Gotta respect your old man, even if you disagree with him on most things.
Yep, it sounds like your pops is a sharp fella.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Though I'm a Roman Catholic, I have to say that his Holiness' visit to the Philippines is screwing my love life up. You'd figure after sending my fair share of infidels to meet their maker he'd cut me some slack, but obviously not.

Thursday night was good, was more than happy to ship the young lady out and find another Friday morning, but her damn facebook said public holiday due to his visit so no school. She immediately turned over, said she didn't have to leave and then went back to sleep. Rest of day was screwed up because of her reluctance to leave and have me risk my safety in such an evil city.

Trying to hook up yesterday with a different young lady when all the cellular networks were taken down for 3 hours as a safety precaution before / during his flight to a different city.

This keeps up, I'm changing my religion and becoming a Bhuddist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad