OT: I relinquish the OT thread rights. We need a PK thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Clock and I went to the craft beer festival this weekend. It was pretty fun. I'm not a beer drinker (that is all Clock), but I did really like the Angry Orchard hard cider. YUM!
Re: adult beverage tastes,
Clock is to brian_griffin as PK is to my GF. Angry Orchard is the only thing she drinks (she's a very light drinker) aside from a Grey Goose and cranberry a couple times a year.
Gotta love when you call to cancel something that is billed every 6 months to help your budget out and they offer you the next 6 months at 80% off.

That helped my budget and allowed me to keep the service.

Can't complain about that.
Somehow reminds me of the scene in Orange is the New Black where Jason Biggs is sitting in a sauna with his lawyer father, is having a cathartic conversation, notices several of the men being amorous with each other, and suddenly asks "Dad, why did you ask that we meet in a gay sauna?" And he answered, "the service is good, and I had a Groupon".

Speaking of budgets, it sure would be nice if we could actually get down to the 2.00 mark the rest of the known universe is apparently getting for gas prices.
$2.36 for 93 premium yesterday. $1.99 for 87 isooctane regular.

What's the state high point of like...Florida? Some random building in Miami? :laugh:
Florida's high point is something like ~325 feet above sea level.

My house lot is 24-28 feet above sea level.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Mitchell

Bagged that one last summer as well. Damn good hike.
Nice place, for sure.

That's awesome. Yea, my wife and I tried minimalist backpacking once .... So needless to say, there hasn't been a second time (wife hated it) :biglaugh: None of my friends hike or camp, so just the wife and I car camp and summit high points. We only get to go once a year, but we try to make the most of it and do more than one highpoint when we have the energy.

And yea, winter camping is crazy. I've never done it, and don't want to. The latest I've tent camped is late October. And THAT was crazy cold. That's why I commend you for hiking in snow and ice. The scenery has to be breathtaking but the bitter cold would get to me. I couldn't enjoy it as much as I want to. PM me anytime to swap stories, experiences, advice etc ... :5:
When I was in Scouts, we used to do over 2-dozen weekend nights a year, and we'd also earn our polar bear badge which required (I think) 10 or 12 nights of tent or lean-to camping where the temp dropped below freezing. Coldest I've tent-camped in was -20F near Lewiston / Sanborn when a freakish air mass dropped in on the Niagara escarpment. After a perfectly comfortable Friday night (old canvas army tents, without bottoms, so we'd tramp down the snow, layer straw and newspaper, then some ~6 mil plastic sheeting, then our sleeping bags), and activities during a cold but sunny Saturday, most of the other units left for Saturday night. Adults required us to move into a 50+ year old "lodge", where we slept on the 1" tongue and groove wood floor with an open-air, un-insulated crawl space. Froze our assess off. Lesson: Never do what adults tell you.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
When I was in Scouts, we used to do over 2-dozen weekend nights a year, and we'd also earn our polar bear badge which required (I think) 10 or 12 nights of tent or lean-to camping where the temp dropped below freezing. Coldest I've tent-camped in was -20F near Lewiston / Sanborn when a freakish air mass dropped in on the Niagara escarpment. After a perfectly comfortable Friday night (old canvas army tents, without bottoms, so we'd tramp down the snow, layer straw and newspaper, then some ~6 mil plastic sheeting, then our sleeping bags), and activities during a cold but sunny Saturday, most of the other units left for Saturday night. Adults required us to move into a 50+ year old "lodge", where we slept on the 1" tongue and groove wood floor with an open-air, un-insulated crawl space. Froze our assess off. Lesson: Never do what adults tell you.

That was one of my take aways from scouting as well. I had a scoutmaster tell us that if we bushwhacked our way down a mountain side, we will come to the trail and save hours off of our hike. After coming across 30 ft sheer drop after sheer drop, we made our way back to the trail, but lost two hours more than we would have if we stayed on the trail (not to mention the difficulty navigating through trees and brush) :laugh:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Speaking of budgets, it sure would be nice if we could actually get down to the 2.00 mark the rest of the known universe is apparently getting for gas prices.

We are 1.79 out here right now, but I think I filled up recently for 1.49 after my fuel points discount. 1.67 is what the Costcos in the area have it for. But you guys also pay 0.26 more in state taxes per gallon than we do.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I did Pike's Peak by car two years ago... 14,115 feet (+ or -) up. Scared the crap out of me at the top. Damn scary looking down almost 3 miles...especially if you are afraid of heights.
The switchback turns are fun, too.:amazed: I can't believe people race vehicles down that thing.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
We are 1.79 out here right now, but I think I filled up recently for 1.49 after my fuel points discount. 1.67 is what the Costcos in the area have it for.

I have a friend in Salem, VA who filled both his wife's and his car for .999 a gallon through gas points at their local superstore. Two cars for 25 bucks. That's less than it costs me to fill my one vehicle.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I have a friend in Salem, VA who filled both his wife's and his car for .999 a gallon through gas points at their local superstore. Two cars for 25 bucks. That's less than it costs me to fill my one vehicle.

I usually only fill up my car once a month, so these prices don't do much for me. Working from home has its benefits.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That was one of my take aways from scouting as well. I had a scoutmaster tell us that if we bushwhacked our way down a mountain side, we will come to the trail and save hours off of our hike. After coming across 30 ft sheer drop after sheer drop, we made our way back to the trail, but lost two hours more than we would have if we stayed on the trail (not to mention the difficulty navigating through trees and brush) :laugh:

Our unit leaders were (and always were) fine. They new us, our experience, our gear, and our methods. It was the camporee leaders who made the command decision.

The further away you get from the field, the more out of touch the leadership is - isn't that what we hear all the time from the military?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Our unit leaders were (and always were) fine. They new us, our experience, our gear, and our methods. It was the camporee leaders who made the command decision.

The further away you get from the field, the more out of touch the leadership is - isn't that what we hear all the time from the military?

I was in a well run troop out here back in the day, Troop actually owned its own equipment, bus, boats, modified ryder truck as a support vehicle. Camping trip every month, camp in the summer, high adventure every other year, alternating Philmont and something larger, Hawaii, Texas, Alaska. Found out at a reunion that the troop put on, but didn't even recognize him at the time when he was sitting talking with us but Jim Adkins from Jimmy Eat World was an alumni from before my time.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I was in a well run troop out here back in the day, Troop actually owned its own equipment, bus, boats, modified ryder truck as a support vehicle. Camping trip every month, camp in the summer, high adventure every other year, alternating Philmont and something larger, Hawaii, Texas, Alaska. Found out at a reunion that the troop put on, but didn't even recognize him at the time when he was sitting talking with us but Jim Adkins from Jimmy Eat World was an alumni from before my time.

That is a heck of a well run troop. Trips to Hawaii and Alaska? those two places alone are a heck of an opportunity for young scouts.

We always had the monthly meetings and the summer camps at Massawepie in the adirondacks, but never much more than that. Our celeb claim to fame was Matt Odemark from the Jars of Clay :laugh:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
That is a heck of a well run troop. Trips to Hawaii and Alaska? those two places alone are a heck of an opportunity for young scouts.

We always had the monthly meetings and the summer camps at Massawepie in the adirondacks, but never much more than that. Our celeb claim to fame was Matt Odemark from the Jars of Clay :laugh:

Yep we were one of the best, and we had/did all that an we weren't even one of the many Mormon charted troops out here, and we bested them daily at the camps and jamborees, we also held ourselves to stricter Class A,B,C uniform standards than the other troops. When you're 12 years old and worrying about a gig line for inspection.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I currently own no car. So... gas prices are mostly a non-issue for me. Granted, we will be renting for a month in February and we've thrown 20 bucks into another friend's vehicle periodically when we've been driven around a bit.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
I did Pike's Peak by car two years ago... 14,115 feet (+ or -) up. Scared the crap out of me at the top. Damn scary looking down almost 3 miles...especially if you are afraid of heights.
The switchback turns are fun, too.:amazed: I can't believe people race vehicles down that thing.

Yeah !

I did Pikes Peak 10 years ago, sin was shining on the way up, fog had set in when I got to the top and it was a very slow ride back down ..... the no guard rails is a bit scary

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Gas prices in VA are unbelievably low right now. Like, I wasn't even old enough for a learner's permit the last time I remember seeing gas this cheap (granted, I'm not even 30 yet, so it's not like that was eons ago, but still).

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Yeah !

I did Pikes Peak 10 years ago, sin was shining on the way up, fog had set in when I got to the top and it was a very slow ride back down ..... the no guard rails is a bit scary

Whoa whoa whoa. TMI buddy. This is a family site. Leave your mischief out of it. :joshjull:

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Gas prices in VA are unbelievably low right now. Like, I wasn't even old enough for a learner's permit the last time I remember seeing gas this cheap (granted, I'm not even 30 yet, so it's not like that was eons ago, but still).

$2.43 the other day for premium unleaded. I think my wife is paying a bit less than $2.00 for regular unleaded.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
I love NetGalley. Getting digital ARC's of books is one of the best parts of my job. Especially when things I've been looking forward to for years can be had several months early.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Found out last night that a close friend is having brain surgery next week to remove a tumor that is pressing on an optic nerve.

And that wasn't long after hearing that one of my older son's teammates is dealing with news that his 10 yo cousin has a brain tumor.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Meeting with HR in 45 minutes. Discussion purpose remains left unrevealed when I asked. Potential severance upcoming? I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad