Post-Game Talk: I really wanted to beat these arseholes. But we lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
For a team that always talk up the importance of character and leadership, this team is awfully lacking in character and leadership
They also talk constantly about not taking shortcuts, but then they seem to always take shortcuts in building their team. You can't take what they say seriously.
Players are catching on and I can see that our core guys are not buying it anymore.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
I think Jake Milford passing away that early really hurt the franchise as well. Wasn't perfect (who is though?) but was the GM that got great line (Fraser & Smyl via the draft & Gradin via a trade). Left a big void for the Canucks that wasn't filled until Quinn came aboard.

My memory is a little hazy but I think he became GM not long after another decent GM of the Canucks (Phil Mahoney). I can't remember the circumstances regarding why Phil was replaced as he was the GM of the Canucks when they first had a .500 season (back when a .500 meant something). Think the WHA started up around this time, poaching players from the NHL (removing what little depth they might have had).
I agree that Milford was better than most. Phil was unfortunate and so was Poile, but the the drafting wasn't great and you can't get away from that. So many players missed. Sittler, Robinson etc. My big problem with Milford, who as you noted did make good trades, is the Derlago/Vaive for Williams/Butler trade. I don't mind Derlago, but Vaive was never given a chance in Vancouver. Williams provided the leadership they needed. But you should never trade a pure sniper unless you have no choice. Obviously the exchange of 5th rounders for Richard Brodeur was the second greatest trade in Canuck history even better than or equal to the trade that brought Courtnall and Ronning home. Quinn changed the culture of the team. Since then there have been down periods but never the malaise until now. It feels like 1986 again. Except they do have star players! They have to change the management and coaching to see who goes and who stays.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
Well.

Everyone except for Petey.

swedish-hockey-league-stats.png
Nilsson was traded. And Markus Naslund was also traded. As was Peter Forsberg.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
Imagine still thinking Benning would be great at anything in a nearly billion dollar professional sports franchise.
He can draft, and in the right situation I think Benning could be good. Right now he is living proof of the Peter Principal. The problem with the hard on of hate for Benning is it ignores what got him the job in the first place. Benning comes from a family of scouts. It's the only thing he does well. Just because he is incompetent in almost everything else doesn't take away from his talent in that area.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that game was almost a push. in an ordinary season i'd be ok with it.

a good enough effort overall and signs of life and working stuff out, but still more ineffective offence and another loss. also, after a horrible game, the hawks scored pretty much as soon as they bore down on us.

pod is looking great. several individual forwards i also liked. defence is looking much better to me on routine plays, although i do not like their shape when they are under pressure.

overall the sum of the parts continues to be less than the individual pieces.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He can draft, and in the right situation I think Benning could be good. Right now he is living proof of the Peter Principal. The problem with the hard on of hate for Benning is it ignores what got him the job in the first place. Benning comes from a family of scouts. It's the only thing he does well. Just because he is incompetent in almost everything else doesn't take away from his talent in that area.
It matters little if you can't do anything but draft and you have the position of GM though. Sam Presti drafted three NBA league MVPs (one or more were also rookie of the year) but never won anything.

Doesn't help when John Weisbrod is your number two. But Benning put him in that post.

We're just wasting the prime years of Horvat, EP, Hughes, etc.,

Reactions: mossey3535

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
It matters little if you can't do anything but draft and you have the position of GM though. Sam Presti drafted three NBA league MVPs (one or more were also rookie of the year) but never won anything.

Doesn't help when John Weisbrod is your number two. But Benning put him in that post.

We're just wasting the prime years of Horvat, EP, Hughes, etc.,
Which is why I said he is living proof of the Peter Principal. You have some delusion I am defending his record as GM

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
He can't draft, he doesn't do it well and has no stand out talent in that area whatsoever over any other teams top actual scouts.

Thinking he's an asset for a multi hundred million dollar business is ridiculous, unintelligent, and devoid of rational thought given the overwhelming amount of evidence.

Reactions: mossey3535

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

This is a false narrative.

Canucks drafting ranks middle of the pack during the Benning years. The only thing that he has been good at has been producing "stars" which I guess boosts the drafting to maybe top 10

Calgary has been a better drafting team in the last 8 years and the best drafting team is either the Blues, Ducks or Hurricanes

Also if the Bruins didn't mess up 2015 they could probably be considered as well, which is funny since Benning left them

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Except for trading away 15 draft picks and a half dozen already drafted players for bubble gum to stop the leak in the dam?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Except for trading away 15 draft picks and a half dozen already drafted players for bubble gum to stop the leak in the dam?
I won’t deny he’s done SOME good. But the bad has vastly out numbered the good and it’s not close imho.

I’d rank him below Dave Nonis in the less than remarkable history of Canucks GMs.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I can draft as good as him. Easily.

The fact people still think in these embarrassingly simplistic terms with regards to drafting is exactly why the owner is keeping this chump.

Reactions: MS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad