Post-Game Talk: I have no theme for this PGT

Batman or Superman?

• Total voters

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
So just a side comment but Draisaitl was a better 200ft player than McD all 3 periods and bags a goal and an assist and several splendid defensive plays. Whereas McD blows the zone entirely contributing to an outmanned situation and the first Islanders goal, then takes a bad penalty on Islanders tying goal. But McD is first star on basis of the game winning goal, which doesn't happen without Draisaitls dogged work on the goal, and Drai isn't even a star.

lol who else does this even happen to?

Any other Oiler could have the game Drai had tonight and be first star. just saying, its hilarious.

On the whole of play, and I thought Connor had a dozen bad misplays in the first two periods, he shouldn't have been a star despite the goal.

Is it really that big of a deal to be a star? lol. They normally give the first start to the game winner from SO/OT like 97 percent of the time anyways.

The leader wins the money for the charity in the end. That's all that matters. :huh:

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Where was backchecking Gagner when he played here before? This version of Gagner is very acceptable. Much better than some guy for the NYI named Eberle who stopped skating on the backcheck for the Oilers tying goal. Seen that schtick before....somewhere.

Lines by the end of the game were finally getting halfway decent. Love the tying goal, can’t be trying to stickhandle and pass the puck into the net each time. Shoot low hard for the lower pads and have an opposite net drive. Those are the goals 3rd and 4th lines score.

Fun game! Messes with the tank but we needed a home win.

Also lots of empty seats....
He obviously learned that from other teams. His time away from this team did him good.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fun to see the passion that came out of Gagner when he scored.

Seems kind of like a fun good nature tonic that Gagner brings that the team has been missing. He's been like this from the start, and always was like that here. Gagner is never happier, than when he's playing for the Edmonton Oilers. Easy to embrace that.

He's like a small version of Patrick Maroon personality wise. Everybody loves him, you can just see that again, for the 2nd time, he was well loved by the team the first time around as well. I hope he's back with us for a season.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The Gagner deal is looking good. He's much more useful than Strome and Spooner was just 110% useless.

Yep. It’s still early, but Gags is looking like the 2nd best of the 4 of them so far, and pretty much the same old ~45 point guy we always used to have. It makes you wonder if he just really wasn’t happy in Vancouver. He’s been an extremely consistent player through multiple organizations, and doesn’t look any worse than he used to 5 years ago.

When you think about who was playing on Strome wings and how few goals were scored against when he was on the ice, he didn't do too bad.

Not really. He did ok last year. He was a black hole this year. Gags hasn’t had any better linemates than Strome, and he’s played at a much higher level

Reactions: Oilhawks

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Not really. He did ok last year. He was a black hole this year. Gags hasn’t had any better linemates than Strome, and he’s played at a much higher level

I wanna believe it's true but I'm not drinking the cool-aid for another 20 games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He obviously learned that from other teams. His time away from this team did him good.

Gagner was sound under Krueger and had himself an exceptional year that year. People tend to forget it because it was a lockout year. Gagner was also solid the year before that and was also +10 in Columbus on his 50pt season.

The only time Gagner cratered is when he was carrying fools like Omark and Paajarvi on his back. No young Center could withstand that type of abuse.

Players mature and Gagner is also much stronger than when he was younger. he forechecked well tonight and bounced off hits around 3 times.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Gagner is taking ANYBODY and making them look good. These are Cave and Rieders best games of the season. Playing 3 games with Gagner. Its quite interesting. Gags has transformed our bottomsix. We had nobody like that who can control and move the puck with confidence. This is a perfect situation for Gagner. But being how good he looked on first line we can Clone Gagner and that might just be Currie.

Great to see Gagner play this way. If he can continue this it makes for a great story and, more importantly, turning Spooner into a contributing player is a massive win for the team.

However, if you know of a way to clone I can think of a couple better options. ;)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Great to see Gagner play this way. If he can continue this it makes for a great story and, more importantly, turning Spooner into a contributing player is a massive win for the team.

However, if you know of a way to clone I can think of a couple better options. ;)
Is the answer Jesus?

Reactions: 8LX7psQ

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Seems kind of like a fun good nature tonic that Gagner brings that the team has been missing. He's been like this from the start, and always was like that here. Gagner is never happier, than when he's playing for the Edmonton Oilers. Easy to embrace that.

He's like a small version of Patrick Maroon personality wise. Everybody loves him, you can just see that again, for the 2nd time, he was well loved by the team the first time around as well. I hope he's back with us for a season.

Something you bring up a lot is the adrenaline bumps that players get when they are introduced into new surroundings or come up from the minors. I think now is a prime time to put Gagner with some offensive players who can feed off that energy.

I think it was easy to see how he views Edmonton just through his posts through social media. He seems really, really happy to be back.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is it really that big of a deal to be a star? lol. They normally give the first start to the game winner from SO/OT like 97 percent of the time anyways.

The leader wins the money for the charity in the end. That's all that matters. :huh:

Just that its typical. Drai gets limited recognition, always.

For instance in the previous game Drai is the best player by a mile. Tychkowski in the Sun manages to write a 3 column game review without crediting him once.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I saw a couple in the other thread..;)

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
For anyone who listens to TSN1260 and knows about the Hashtags of the night i texted in #HitchcockLooksLikeSnorlax for you guys

YGbo0Xz.png

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Gagner was sound under Krueger and had himself an exceptional year that year. People tend to forget it because it was a lockout year. Gagner was also solid the year before that and was also +10 in Columbus on his 50pt season.

The only time Gagner cratered is when he was carrying fools like Omark and Paajarvi on his back. No young Center could withstand that type of abuse.

Players mature and Gagner is also much stronger than when he was younger. he forechecked well tonight and bounced off hits around 3 times.
I agree. (I just wanted to sh*t on this organization because they bring me so much pain)
I'd also think being moved around a lot as well has being sent down to the AHL made him work on his deficiencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad