OT: I don't think I'll ever get over what happened in 2011 (2011 nostalgia general)

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Hmm...

That was unexpected.

I can neither nor deny the events that may or may not have occurred in the above block of text.

And.....

What? Anarchists and criminals? What are you going on about? I expect a certain degree of goalpost moving on this board but instead of moving the goalposts, you relocated those goalposts onto Saturn and changed the sport entirely.

I hesitate to put forth any type of rebuttal so not to risk further misinterpretation and triggering so instead I will congratulate you and Yannick Weber on making the SC finals and wish you luck against the most likely Pens. :nod:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...e-for-stanley-cup-riot-vancouver-police-chief

an early list of people charged shows the vast majority were from the lower mainland...

http://theprovince.com/news/stanley-cup-riot-charges-the-vancouver-riot-rap-sheet

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It took people the 2011 Finals to forget about the 1994 Finals.

The 2011 Finals will be stitched into peoples memory until we reach it again.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
If both teams were fully healthy, and the officiating was even for the most part, we would win the cup by now. When you look at how our broken ass team pushed the series to Game 7 was kinda impressive in a way.

With that said, for a team that's existed for 47 years and running, to not have a cup to show for it is absolutely disgusting.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
It's so sad how much luck and timing goes into when your team peaks. In 2017, not one of the top 4 teams even compared to our very injured finals team. The 2017 collection has to be one of the worst groups of teams in the past 20 years.

Oh well, go Nashville.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It took people the 2011 Finals to forget about the 1994 Finals.

The 2011 Finals will be stitched into peoples memory until we reach it again.

94 was heartbreaking for very different reasons. Total underdogs and not expected to go far. At least the 94 team *scored* in game 7.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well, with 3 SC final appearances, at least we're doing better than St. Louis and Buffalo.
**** them both.:)

Blues got in expansion at a better time - they were first put into a division composed entirely of expansion clubs. That division was GUARANTEED to have one team in the Finals (as well of course meaning a fair number of expansion teams would make the post-season in their first year of existance).

Sabres won the 'spin of the wheel' enabling them to have a 'headstart' with a bona fide HHOFer/franchise player.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
**** them both.:)

Blues got in expansion at a better time - they were first put into a division composed entirely of expansion clubs. That division was GUARANTEED to have one team in the Finals (as well of course meaning a fair number of expansion teams would make the post-season in their first year of existance).

Sabres won the 'spin of the wheel' enabling them to have a 'headstart' with a bona fide HHOFer/franchise player.

Have a :heart:.

Buffalo is our expansion bro. :5:

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
loved when the latent racism came out and people pinned the riots on Surrey Indians, then the list of names came out :laugh:

I think they blamed it on Surrey in general....not Indo-Surreyites.

Hate to say it...but that list kinda confirms it.

And any talk of "Anarchists" or anything like that is ridiculous. These were young people from the lower mainland that participated fully in the riot. A mistake in their young lives, yes...but they alone are responsible and have to own up to it.

Fork

Mar 7, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
i honestly cant remember what i was doing during game 7 or if i even watched it

i think it was so traumatic my brain purged it from memory

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I don't think you'd see one of the 94 guys voluntarily take punches in a potential cup clinching game. That 2011 team lacked killer instinct and had no " It" factor. They nearly blew a 3-0 series lead & the Preds series was longer than it should've been. The Sharks series was awesome. But yeah...

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I don't think you'd see one of the 94 guys voluntarily take punches in a potential cup clinching game. That 2011 team lacked killer instinct and had no " It" factor. They nearly blew a 3-0 series lead & the Preds series was longer than it should've been. The Sharks series was awesome. But yeah...

Your 2011 team took a team that was younger, faster, healthier, fresher and deeper to a game 7.

They also exorcised a demon which is something the Caps have yet to do.

Killer instinct? What a joke.
EUHREaS.gif

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I seem to have purged Game 7 from my memory. Were our best players really that bad that day?

I looked at the NHL game page and saw that both Sedins were -4, Burrows -3, Kesler -2, and Luongo had an 0.850 save percentage, and they gave up a back-breaking shorthanded goal :cry::cry::cry:

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Please get over it. I did. Sorta.

I also got over 94 and 82.

It really does only affect your life as much as you allow it to.

It's only in the last year that I can say that I've be able to put it behind me, and not have it hurt so much. 5 years of mourning is a respectable amount, and I feel content with that as a Canucks fan.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
the Rome hit sunk vancouver, and Luongo was mentally fragile. After that hit, the Bruins woke up extremely pissed off. It wasn't just the fact they had to see one of their team mates look dead on the ice from a hit that wasn't even necessary, it was the fact that it was one of their best players and a player that was single handedly responsible for winning them two series when it came down to the wire. The bruins as an organization felt pretty vindictive when it came to head shots, after the savard hit you could tell their was a sense of viciousness if any of their player ever got hit like that again. They came back out and walloped vancouver 8-1 and it was all downhill for luongo from there.

Both teams were pretty banged up, one ended up wanting it more, the other felt a bit too much entitlement to winning and one player made the absolute worst hit he could have made.

The canucks oughta be back eventually though, same for the bruins.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Can't believe this thread is still going. Everytime I visit this sub forum and see this docile / whiney thread title, just makes me laugh every time I see those proposal / rumor threads where a "man" is suggested to play in Van, but he's "mean" or holds money phones to his ear.

Its crazy how city cultures really do influence the character makeup of a team. All these "nice guys" that play UNO with the kids before bed but no delusionally arrogant Type A's that actually win all while holding a middle finger up.

Marchand >>>> any player on the team right now and this was the case back in 2011 as well. Said it then, saying it now.

Get over it. And draft some men on the team for once.

The only prize for having a team full of door holders is a thread just like this and that's why you lost.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Marchand >>>> any player on the team right now and this was the case back in 2011 as well. Said it then, saying it now.

Get over it. And draft some men on the team for once.

The only prize for having a team full of door holders is a thread just like this and that's why you lost.

eh?

Biggest difference wasn't a rat like Marchand (who I can't deny his effectiveness then & now).

It was the guy that won the Conn Smythe that post-season (and rightly so with that kind of performance of the ages). He might even get a chance to get into the HHOF because of that.

Don't overrate Marchand's importance in that series.

Last edited:

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
eh?

Biggest difference wasn't a rat like Marchand (who I can't deny his effectiveness then & now).

It was the guy that won the Conn Smythe that post-season (and rightly so with that kind of performance of the ages).

Don't overrate Marchand's importance in that series.

Don't underrate "The Rat"'s importance in that series either. Thats the same "Rat" who basks in the glory of boos everytime at Rogers Arena, pumping an air Stanley and kissing the spot where his real championship winning ring goes..he was absolutely pivotal in getting the players off their game.

Thomas was fantastic sure, but seems like you guys have a hard time separating reg.season and playoffs where a guy like Justin Williams has **** all over anything the Sedins have done and made Luongo look like a backup. Wasn't he supposed to be better than Thomas ?

They made Thomas look sexy because they were already beaten by game 5. It was over and that Rat ended up doing numbers when it mattered most.

Too many "Vancouver Earth Day Recycling Drive" ambassadors and just not enough "getting it done" types on the team.

I'm really starting to think it's part of the core values and onboarding of the team as there's just way too much evidence to point to of tough guys that seemingly get neutered as soon as they cross the BC borderline - even to this current day.

I know, I know. Something something, Hawks small and soft, something something no goons on Pitts, etc.

But I'm talking strictly about winning with no stars which seems to be the path the Canucks will be forced to take from here on out...or sit on hands waiting for a McJesus which seems to be what most of you here are most comfortable with.

Starts and ends with what's between the ears

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Don't underrate "The Rat"'s importance in that series either. Thats the same "Rat" who basks in the glory of boos everytime at Rogers Arena, pumping an air Stanley and kissing the spot where his real championship winning ring goes..he was absolutely pivotal in getting the players off their game.
meh, switch goalies & tell me the outcome of the series would've been different.

Agree to disagree.

Thomas was fantastic sure, but seems like you guys have a hard time separating reg.season and playoffs where a guy like Justin Williams has **** all over anything the Sedins have done and made Luongo look like a backup.
Without a guy like Tony "O" holding the fort, it wouldn't have made the heroics of Paul Henderson possible.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The Bruins board is literally laughing at this thread right now. You guys seriously need to move on - acting like that crazy gf that won't leave her ex alone after 7 years. This fanbase is so ****ing weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad