OT: I don't think I'll ever get over what happened in 2011 (2011 nostalgia general)

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The Bruins board is literally laughing at this thread right now. You guys seriously need to move on - acting like that crazy gf that won't leave her ex alone after 7 years. This fanbase is so ****ing weird.

Nah... not weird at all and the Bruins board can literally go **** themselves.

I don't think you really appreciate the degree of angst in Canuck nation right now.

The present licks balls and the future is bleak as ****. The only joy Canuck nation has is bashing on management and reliving our past "glories" and our last "glory" was in 2011.

So nope. This is actually quite normal and I'm sure the Coilers board probably did a lot of the same in the last decade talking about their 80s glory years.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
if you cant get over 2011 you seriously need to re consider your life. Really. There's so much more to it than a bunch of grown men chasing a rubber puck around.

I have fantastic memories from 2011. Nothing negative to say about it. We didn't win, so what? Move on.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
There is a difference between the Oilers 89's glory years and the Canucks 2011 and if you can't see that then I just can't help you.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The Bruins board is literally laughing at this thread right now. You guys seriously need to move on - acting like that crazy gf that won't leave her ex alone after 7 years. This fanbase is so ****ing weird.

Before 2011, people were sobbing over 1994. So until the Canucks reach the Finals again, there's gonna be people remebering 2011 with good and bad tastes.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Don't underrate "The Rat"'s importance in that series either. Thats the same "Rat" who basks in the glory of boos everytime at Rogers Arena, pumping an air Stanley and kissing the spot where his real championship winning ring goes..he was absolutely pivotal in getting the players off their game.

Thomas was fantastic sure, but seems like you guys have a hard time separating reg.season and playoffs where a guy like Justin Williams has **** all over anything the Sedins have done and made Luongo look like a backup. Wasn't he supposed to be better than Thomas ?

They made Thomas look sexy because they were already beaten by game 5. It was over and that Rat ended up doing numbers when it mattered most.

Too many "Vancouver Earth Day Recycling Drive" ambassadors and just not enough "getting it done" types on the team.

I'm really starting to think it's part of the core values and onboarding of the team as there's just way too much evidence to point to of tough guys that seemingly get neutered as soon as they cross the BC borderline - even to this current day.

I know, I know. Something something, Hawks small and soft, something something no goons on Pitts, etc.

But I'm talking strictly about winning with no stars which seems to be the path the Canucks will be forced to take from here on out...or sit on hands waiting for a McJesus which seems to be what most of you here are most comfortable with.

Starts and ends with what's between the ears

Idk, ference was/is an "earth day recycling drive type" and he had some of the biggest cojones on that 2011 bruins team

I know what you're driving at but I think you're characterization of who's a get it done type and who's not is a bit off

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
There is a difference between the Oilers 89's glory years and the Canucks 2011 and if you can't see that then I just can't help you.

:laugh:

I can't tell if this is self-deprecating humor, self-loathing behavior or condescension.

PG Canuck you so crazy.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Crying over something 6 years ago is what is crazy.

Well.. I guess its condescension then.

To each their own.
u0QnjHv.gif

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Crying over something 6 years ago is what is crazy.

This thread is all just a bunch of crying and excuses. The better team won! Boston beat us. Yes we had injuries but they did to.

Boston won because their best players were better than our best players.
- Thomas outplayed Luongo
- Chara shutdown the Sedins

Boston not only beat us on the scoreboard but they killed us in the allies. They pushed us around and bullied us with limited pushback. It was embarrassing to watch the Sedins get pushed around while they just stood there and hoped for a power play with 1:30 left in a 5-2 loss :shakehead

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
This thread is all just a bunch of crying and excuses. The better team won! Boston beat us. Yes we had injuries but they did to.

Boston not only beat us on the scoreboard but they killed us in the allies. They pushed us around and bullied us with limited pushback. It was embarrassing to watch the Sedins get pushed around while they just stood there and hoped for a power play with 1:30 left in a 5-2 loss :shakehead

Yup that is what I watched. Their best players were better and they pushed us around with no response from our team. I found it embarrassing really.

That final was a really disappointing end to 2011. I really don't want to hear about it 6 years later, especially the excuses like blaming it on the refs. Was time to move on a long time ago. Was time to rebuild a long time ago.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Yup that is what I watched. Their best players were better and they pushed us around with no response from our team. I found it embarrassing really.

That final was a really disappointing end to 2011. I really don't want to hear about it 6 years later, especially the excuses like blaming it on the refs. Was time to move on a long time ago. Was time to rebuild a long time ago.

^this^

Blowing a 2-0 series lead..then a 3-2 series lead...then the cherry on top, blowing a game 7 for the Stanley Cup on home ice :shakehead

It was a f***ing embarrassing series and aftermath.

Though I still laugh my a** off when I see Daniel getting speed bagged by that little rat rookie Marchand so I do have that :baghead:

They beat us fair and square so get over it and move on people :nod:

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver

Meh. Pretty much a no-win-situation for Sedin on that one. If he retaliated, Marchand gets praised for "getting under his skin" like Dave Bolland did in 2010.

Did AV ever consider starting Schneider after game 4? I mean I always question that.
I don't think so. Anyways, Game 5 was Luongo's best game as a Canuck.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Meh. Pretty much a no-win-situation for Sedin on that one. If he retaliated, Marchand gets praised for "getting under his skin" like Dave Bolland did in 2010.

I don't think so. Anyways, Game 5 was Luongo's best game as a Canuck.

Unfortunately he followed it up with two of his worst.

It wasn't a lose lose situation for Daniel. The score was out of hand. Him standing there taking it will be an image I won't ever forget. I knew Boston was winning after that. You could feel it.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

This. I've heard every excuse in the book such as " Hamhuis injured" or ref bias. Nathan Horton was taken out three minutes into game three on a stretcher. How'd Boston respond? By absolutely murdering the Canucks physically and on the scoreboard. There was no bias or any fix. The Bruins beat them down. Good too.

It was a nice run but ultimately a failure. I really have no fond memories for a team who got murdered in the Finals, including laying an egg in game Frickin 7 on home ice.

Maybe people try to blame refs or injuries as a " Coping" method. I got over it a day later. Life sucks. It happens.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This was AV's greatest mistake in the series IMHO. Watching Lou turn into a bologna sandwich was pathetic and when I saw lou's reaction after that 1st goal was scored in game 7...I knew it was over :cry:

Or after game 5, where Luongo posted a shutout then heading into game six his 'legacy' was on the line and gives up stinker after stinker.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm over 2011, we suck gorillas ass right now so reminiscing about the glory years ain't gonna work. Team collapsed, Luongo went back to Florida because he was under the Canadian pressure of performing, we got old, out drafting sucks, whatever.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I'm over 2011, we suck gorillas ass right now so reminiscing about the glory years ain't gonna work. Team collapsed, Luongo went back to Florida because he was under the Canadian pressure of performing, we got old, out drafting sucks, whatever.

Thing is would fans be more forgiving of this " Rebuild" I'd they won the cup? Would there be as many empties etc?

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
This is just sad. It is 6 years ago! I certainly hope ownership and Trevor Linden can forget about it and focus on the future (the rebuild... ahem).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->