OT: I don't think I'll ever get over what happened in 2011 (2011 nostalgia general)

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Being up 2-0 and then 3-2 in the Stanley Cup Finals and then losing it all on home ice after what a very special season the Canucks had. It still stings. I can't even watch highlights on YouTube without becoming somewhat depressed. Does anyone else still think about it from time to time?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Injuries and officiating

Bruins also became a legit cup contender that very season

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Lost a lot of respect for the league during and after that year. Hipchecks being banned right after hamhuis and ballard aquired, campbell and ference shenanigans, lucic and marchand leeway, game 7 ecf refs, Romes unprecidented suspension, raymonds broken back. What else

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
That 2011 run for me is just bad bad memories. I completely whiped out mentally all the games in the garden and game 7, where I now can't even remember the game scores.

Through hard work and perserverence I'll erase the whole finals entirely hopefully.

2022 you heard it here first though, we winning it all!

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Life goes on. Long after the thrill of living is gone.

They were just kids doing the best they can, maybe should've stuck to football, could've become stars :laugh:

The '94 one was rougher for me and I'm a Habs fan - still one of the greatest finals I've ever seen

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
That was one of the best summers of my life. I'll never forget going to Granville St. after Game 7 vs the Hawks and Game 5 vs the Sharks...the atmosphere was just surreal. High-fiving literally everyone you walk past

We'll never get that again. Ever

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That was one of the best summers of my life. I'll never forget going to Granville St. after Game 7 vs the Hawks and Game 5 vs the Sharks...the atmosphere was just surreal. High-fiving literally everyone you walk past

Same. I don't know why some people only dwell on the negative. It was a fun ride that I have a ton of great memories from.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver

We'll never get that again. Ever

Sure we will: when it happens again. The same thing happened in 94.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I think he means in our lifetime. Which is entirely likely for those of us in our 50s and 60s. Hell, I'm 42 and even I'm kinda worried I might not ever see the Canucks win it all. My grandfather never got to see it, and he'd been following the team since 1970.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I was as disappointed as anyone but really?....the world is a very, very big place with lots of cool things to see and do.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
just is a classic example of life not being fair. malhotras eye and rome suspension specifically

just a brutal way to end the season and in reality that teams competitiveness

only thing that gets me through it is supreme faith we have pieces for a champion alrdy here. cant be never lucky doesnt work that way

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
We never should have had to play the Bruins in the first place...they were gifted a trip to the finals by the league, then awarded a Cup. But no, I'm not bitter about it. :laugh:

Mudshark50

Nov 25, 2005
NorthVancouver
I was at the first two SCF games and came away thinking it's a done deal, we're going to win this thing. Bruin's didn't look like they could generate a good game against us and we were playing such solid hockey....then the wheels came off.

I haven't watched the highlights since.

Also, still pi$$ed about the Bure suspension in Game 3 of the 94 SCF game - I was at that one, too. A heartbreaker series, but not as bad as 2011.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
If history repeats itself we are about another 10 years away from another finals appearance. Losing in the finals made me quit hockey the year after and take some time off on the sport. I'm over it now but I don't like thinking about it.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
94 hurt way more. It was a magical playoff run. The 8th seed Canucks who weren't expected to do anything went to the finals, and almost beat the dynasty Rangers, who were stacked throughout their whole lineup. The 94 Stanley Cup playoffs was easily the most exciting playoffs the Canucks ever had, or ever will have. Almost every game went to OT, with high intensity out of your seat excitement. The horror of Nathan Lafayette hitting the post in the dying minutes still haunts me to this day.

2011 was bad, but it was the beginning of the new NHL bs. Bogus rules, penalties, and the new NHL politics taken over. Romes hit, Marchand punching Sedin, the constant over looking by the refs. The NHL didnt want the Canucks to win the cup in 2011, its blatantly obvious.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
That spring was magic from the Canucks, and the NHL robbed them of a Cup. No doubt in my mind.

I have many fantastic memories of that summer, and I compartmentalize that from the bitterness I feel towards the league's underhanded, shady tactics in that Final.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
That spring was magic from the Canucks, and the NHL robbed them of a Cup. No doubt in my mind.

I have many fantastic memories of that summer, and I compartmentalize that from the bitterness I feel towards the league's underhanded, shady tactics in that Final.

The last highlight I can watch is Game 5 vs the Sharks. I can't watch anything from the finals.

I was so sure we won after the Burrows goal that I let myself think we already had. That made it so much worse it the end.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
What bothers me the most is how it's affected this team.

We were clearly the best team that year AINEC, but just couldn't pull it out due to injuries. And that single loss ruined this team. Gillis got no respect afterwards. Our ownership and fanbase started to go crazy with being 'tough' like the Bruins despite not only never getting the calls, but the Canucks weren't even a soft team. IIRC we were leading the playoffs in hits, for example.

Every other team has moved towards the style that the Canucks and Chicago were playing, while the Canucks feel some need to be big and tough.

What a shame. My parents are going to die never seeing this team win a cup and it's sad.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
1994 I'm still sad about. But ok with.

2011 I'm still furiously angry about, and will never view the league or the sport in the same way after the manner in which we were completely shafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad