OT: I don't think I'll ever get over what happened in 2011 (2011 nostalgia general)

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
There there moog35. Everything is gonna be alright.

Brandon Prust will make it all better.

kXU43ER.gif

Is that the same Brandon Prust who had 1 less point than Henrik Sedin in the finals? :laugh:

We didn't / don't need 4 line goons to provide toughness. We needed our top players to provide SOME level of pushback. Even just the bare minimum. Even if Daniel had of just slashed Marchand in the foot or thrown 1 gloved punch back, anything was better than just standing there and taking punches from a 5'9 rookie with no response.

Do you think Datsyuk or Zetterberg would have just stop there and taken those punches? Are they goons? Did Detroit have a bunch of goons when they were in the finals in 08/09? No they had a similar build to the 2011 canucks, speed and skill except that when push came to shove their top 2 players would push back instead of just taking abuse.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Is that the same Brandon Prust who had 1 less point than Henrik Sedin in the finals? :laugh:

We didn't / don't need 4 line goons to provide toughness. We needed our top players to provide SOME level of pushback. Even just the bare minimum. Even if Daniel had of just slashed Marchand in the foot or thrown 1 gloved punch back, anything was better than just standing there and taking punches from a 5'9 rookie with no response.

Do you think Datsyuk or Zetterberg would have just stop there and taken those punches? Are they goons? Did Detroit have a bunch of goons when they were in the finals in 08/09? No they had a similar build to the 2011 canucks, speed and skill except that when push came to shove their top 2 players would push back instead of just taking abuse.

Yes I do...

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

In hindsight, how Daniel handled that situation appeared to be pretty sad. We all agree. But wasn't there a theme then where they wanted Burrows/Laperrier to tone it down and not get any penalties? Wasn't the idea that we were going to let them goon around and we would outskill them on the PP? I.e. Marchand punches Daniel, if Daniel doesn't retaliate theoretically Marchand should get a penalty? And we'd score on PP.

Not saying that is at all what happened (obviously) and yes they should have stood up for themselves. But weren't they just being typical Sedins and following the game plan to an absolute 'T'?

(for the record I would have been happy if we had traded both of them even two years ago so lol)

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Yes I do...

:laugh::laugh: Thats not even remotely the same. Zetterberg actually got hurt on the play which was a cheap shot by Weber. He had his head slammed into the glass from behind by a 6'4 220 pound Weber. Not taking punches face to face from a 5'9 Marchand :laugh:

Theres Zetterberg showing some push back during the stanley cup finals when he is getting pushed around by a bigger Malkin. I bet his teammates were fired up on the bench

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
:laugh::laugh: Thats not even remotely the same. Zetterberg actually got hurt on the play which was a cheap shot by Weber. He had his head slammed into the glass from behind by a 6'4 220 pound Weber. Not taking punches face to face from a 5'9 Marchand :laugh:

Theres Zetterberg showing some push back during the stanley cup finals when he is getting pushed around by a bigger Malkin. I bet his teammates were fired up on the bench

Cherry picking anything is pointless, want proof?

Didn't help us that game eh?

The Canucks that season made teams pay by killing them on the pp. It is funny you bring up the wings, cause we directly copied them in this.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Cherry picking anything is pointless, want proof?

Didn't help us that game eh?

The Canucks that season made teams pay by killing them on the pp. It is funny you bring up the wings, cause we directly copied them in this.

You actually just proved my point :laugh:

- of course Ballard going after Marchand didn't help that game! It was 4-0 late in the game. The game was over. However the next game the Canucks came back and won. The next game was more important than the last minute of a 4-0 game

- the Canucks did make teams pay in the power play. But when your taking punches to the head from a 5'9 rookie in the final minutes of a 5-2 game screw the powerplay! That's the attitude the wings top players had when they were in the finals

- also Marchand cheap shots Daniel and him and Henrik literally do nothing except watch Ballard jump in for them. Not saying they had to fight but at least do something or show some emotion

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You actually just proved my point :laugh:

- of course Ballard going after Marchand didn't help that game! It was 4-0 late in the game. The game was over. However the next game the Canucks came back and won. The next game was more important than the last minute of a 4-0 game

- the Canucks did make teams pay in the power play. But when your taking punches to the head from a 5'9 rookie in the final minutes of a 5-2 game screw the powerplay! That's the attitude the wings top players had when they were in the finals

- also Marchand cheap shots Daniel and him and Henrik literally do nothing except watch Ballard jump in for them. Not saying they had to fight but at least do something or show some emotion

How is that toughness helping the team out now? You wings argument is completely wrong. when they won they were never a scrappy team.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
How is that toughness helping the team out now? You wings argument is completely wrong. when they won they were never a scrappy team.

ya the wings weren't a tough scrappy team at all. My point is their top players at least showed some pushback when they were roughed up. Ours showed NONE. No way Zetterberg or Datsyuk just stand there while Marchand repeatedly tee's off on them

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
This will likely be my last take on the topic. I feel I am beating a dead horse ultimately. Hopefully nobody gets offended or anything.

No way that Preds series should've went six. Canucks were miles better.

The Sharks series is the one round where I saw a killer instinct. It turned out to be the exception not the rule.

Sports is about championships and success. I certainly acknowledge the Sedins & Luongo will be HOF bound. Not saying they had bad careers. But boy oh boy will I be damned if I don't flashback to Luo turning into a pumpkin in Beantown OR D Sedin turning into a heartless "Player" while their jerseys get deservedly raised.

I can't look back on that run and remember anything fondly. I mean in 94 they at least came back from 3-1 twice.That exhausted look with Maclean after game 6. I mean should we celebrate and always treasure Burrows for scoring and avoiding a collisal collapse? Nah.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
ya the wings weren't a tough scrappy team at all. My point is their top players at least showed some pushback when they were roughed up. Ours showed NONE. No way Zetterberg or Datsyuk just stand there while Marchand repeatedly tee's off on them

A)no one teed of on the twins, and when a player did they did step up (see Bolland when Daniel like tackled him) And when that happened the big thing was see how he is getting under their skin...

B) They way the team was designed it was literally the best team in Hockey in like 15-20 years.

C) The team was absolutely depleted by injuries, and many fans here are just to insecure and assume the big bad bruins pushed us around, when really we were a nasty team that couldn't play up to their top standard because of massive injuries.

D) I repeat how is getting all this toughness helping us now? How did it help us post 2011?

You build the best team. That's all you can do. There is so much luck that goes into it. How much different would that series have been had Kesler not blown his hip? Or Hamhuis not torn his ab? Or if we still had Manny? all of that is luck. Boston won, cause they played better than us and were certainly the luckier of the two teams. I am not mad at them for that. They do have players I hate though.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
C) The team was absolutely depleted by injuries, and many fans here are just to insecure and assume the big bad bruins pushed us around, when really we were a nasty team that couldn't play up to their top standard because of massive injuries.

seriously. i can't believe people forget the night we had nicklas lidstrom, let that sink in for a second nicklas lidstrom, hearing footsteps.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Nolan Baumgartner was about to get a game in the Finals....that's how far down the depth chart we had to go at that point.

Many teams that win the Cup require SOME element of luck...we had such luck that year - unfortunately it turned out to be the familiar *BAD* luck Canuckfans are long used to.....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->