Who was the man of the match

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Rangers forgot how you need to play against Carolina. I'm not nearly as worried about them in a series as they are a pain in a 1 game stint. They hold, hook, and interfere all over. You gotta get used to it and learn how to play through it. They also do a straight up neutral zone trap half the game. They have players designed for a system, but it takes a little getting used to because it isn't like most other teams. It can really glom up your top forwards from scoring chances.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers forgot how you need to play against Carolina. I'm not nearly as worried about them in a series as they are a pain in a 1 game stint. They hold, hook, and interfere all over. You gotta get used to it and learn how to play through it. They also do a straight up neutral zone trap half the game. They have players designed for a system, but it takes a little getting used to because it isn't like most other teams. It can really glom up your top forwards from scoring chances.

They were tired, sloppy and the top 6 was awful.

Panarin was the worst of the bunch but its all good, had to even out i guess after he lit them the f*** up the last time they played.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We are quite capable of beating Carolina in the playoffs again, but they are also quite capable of beating us. They skate and pressure in a way we can’t always keep up.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
I have no statistical evidence for this, just my own memory. I feel that the games Kakko scores in, the rangers lose.
Could it be the other way around, when Rangers are losing, Kakko steps up, trying to save the team?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers have had to play Carolina on the tail end of b2bs and at the very end of 3 in 4 this year.

Carolina has been adequately rested and will be adequately rested for all 4 games. Thats some BS from the league as these things are almost always reciprocated.

Reactions: yrrebbor

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
They played the way they needed to in the 1st to beat carolina. Moving the puck north with patience and precision, not throwing pucks away so carolina could retrieve them, dump it in and forecheck to their heart's content. Unfortunately that slipped in the 2nd and 3rd and there was nothing the Rangers could do to counter them. I hate playing that team.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They played the way they needed to in the 1st to beat carolina. Moving the puck north with patience and precision, not throwing pucks away so carolina could retrieve them, dump it in and forecheck to their heart's content. Unfortunately that slipped in the 2nd and 3rd and there was nothing the Rangers could do to counter them. I hate playing that team.

The precision went away after the 1st. There were multiple opportunities to spring odd man rushes that were missed because the passes just didn't connect or were off target. Panarin had a half dozen of these alone.

This game is annoying because despite being ass for the last 40, they should have still won and really beat themselves.

GA 1 - 2 on 2 turned 3 on 2 because Vesey for some reason decides to glide over his own blue line instead of keeping his feet moving.
GA 2 - Mika loses a battle in the corner, Miller follow him for no reason, Trouba gets caught behind the net (which is where hes supposed to be, he can't assume that Miller is going to chase Staal into the corner) and bam, back of the net.
GA 3 - Panarin over handles the puck in the OZ leading to a turnover, puck goes the other way, Lindgren fails to clear it out and we saw the rest.

Give them credit, they cashed in but the Rangers really did this to themselves tonight.

Edit: On 2nd watch Trouba f***ed up on GA 2 as well. No need for him to go below the goal line at all and he took a dumb route getting there.

Last edited:

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
That game was an assault on hockey. Their team is essentially the 2012 Rangers and they play the same style to a T. Just a suffocating, disgusting style that wins in the regular season and always loses steam at some point in the playoffs. Like how many cracks does Brind'Amour get before management is like clearly this doesn't work? There were at least 5 times tonight where dudes were just slapping the puck around in the neutral zone because they were stuck to us like glue, I literally started laughing at the TV and yelled out loud WTF am I watching right now it looked like a peewee game. Neither team benefitting, just a bunch of dudes with sticks boxing each other out and slapping the puck around.

With all that said, you have to respect how well they execute what he wants them to do. I really can't respect how they play because most importantly it doesn't work in the playoffs and it's just horrendous to have to watch/bad for the game in general. We beat ourselves tonight; up a goal at any point against this team is usually their kiss of death. We still beat them in a 7 game series.

Patty Kane was a tire fire. I get that he has 7 points in 9 games or whatever but the dude is absolutely cooked. It's a guy like him that you look to in a game like this when it's 1-0 to create and possibly pad the lead and he was totally flat. Don't know if it's the hip or not but he just refuses to move his feet. Him losing a 50/50 puck battle is like water being wet, it's a guarantee. Tarasenko on the other hand.. we need to re-sign that dude by any means necessary. He's not a 40 goal guy but what his game is right now translates well to the playoffs. If he wants in at a discount they have to figure out a way to keep him.

Also, the officiating was awful tonight. Like putrid. Staal on Zibanejad on the tying goal is interference all day long except apparently post March and Lindgren got his feet taken out from under him which sprung the entire sequence of their 3rd goal. The Mika play was weird because initially I thought he interfered with Staal and then Staal straight up grabbed him and threw him in the opposite direction 10 feet away from the puck. That far away from the puck with all that crap happening the whistle has to blow either for one or for both. Thought they also missed a call or two on us against Necas. Just really bad officiating tonight all around

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
One thing that's killing me with this team is that in the D-zone, when someone picks the puck up low, they just ring it around the boards when there's the slightest bit of pressure. It doesn't matter who is there. I swear the majority of the night the puck went to a Carolina player. We need to figure out how to use the bumper breakout instead of using the boards every... single.. time.

A lot of teams will post a guy right behind the play that's by the boards, in the circle/faceoff dot area and instead of passing it up the boards and hoping for either a teammate reception or clear, they pass it (or make two passes) and it ends up on the bumper guy at the dots. I see it done to us by plenty of teams this year.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The precision went away after the 1st. There were multiple opportunities to spring odd man rushes that were missed because the passes just didn't connect or were off target. Panarin had a half dozen of these alone.

This game is annoying because despite being ass for the last 40, they should have still won and really beat themselves.

GA 1 - 2 on 2 turned 3 on 2 because Vesey for some reason decides to glide over his own blue line instead of keeping his feet moving.
GA 2 - Mika loses a battle in the corner, Miller follow him for no reason, Trouba gets caught behind the net (which is where hes supposed to be, he can't assume that Miller is going to chase Staal into the corner) and bam, back of the net.
GA 3 - Panarin over handles the puck in the OZ leading to a turnover, puck goes the other way, Lindgren fails to clear it out and we saw the rest.

Give them credit, they cashed in but the Rangers really did this to themselves tonight.
Lindgren failed to clear it because he was tripped. It was an obvious penalty that wasn't called and resulted in the winning goal, but yes they did it to themselves for the most part. That second goal 15 seconds after they went ahead 2-1 was a killer.

uran

Oct 1, 2006
It is very easy to enter offensive zone for opposing teams. The Rangers need to pressure the puck carrier to dump the puck on the blue line.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
That game was an assault on hockey. Their team is essentially the 2012 Rangers and they play the same style to a T. Just a suffocating, disgusting style that wins in the regular season and always loses steam at some point in the playoffs. Like how many cracks does Brind'Amour get before management is like clearly this doesn't work? There were at least 5 times tonight where dudes were just slapping the puck around in the neutral zone because they were stuck to us like glue, I literally started laughing at the TV and yelled out loud WTF am I watching right now it looked like a peewee game. Neither team benefitting, just a bunch of dudes with sticks boxing each other out and slapping the puck around.

With all that said, you have to respect how well they execute what he wants them to do. I really can't respect how they play because most importantly it doesn't work in the playoffs and it's just horrendous to have to watch/bad for the game in general. We beat ourselves tonight; up a goal at any point against this team is usually their kiss of death. We still beat them in a 7 game series.

Patty Kane was a tire fire. I get that he has 7 points in 9 games or whatever but the dude is absolutely cooked. It's a guy like him that you look to in a game like this when it's 1-0 to create and possibly pad the lead and he was totally flat. Don't know if it's the hip or not but he just refuses to move his feet. Him losing a 50/50 puck battle is like water being wet, it's a guarantee. Tarasenko on the other hand.. we need to re-sign that dude by any means necessary. He's not a 40 goal guy but what his game is right now translates well to the playoffs. If he wants in at a discount they have to figure out a way to keep him.

Also, the officiating was awful tonight. Like putrid. Staal on Zibanejad on the tying goal is interference all day long except apparently post March and Lindgren got his feet taken out from under him which sprung the entire sequence of their 3rd goal. The Mika play was weird because initially I thought he interfered with Staal and then Staal straight up grabbed him and threw him in the opposite direction 10 feet away from the puck. That far away from the puck with all that crap happening the whistle has to blow either for one or for both. Thought they also missed a call or two on us against Necas. Just really bad officiating tonight all around
Tarasenko could easily score 40 again with linemates who look for him. Dude is low key open in a shooting position on about half of Ranger possessions, and the ones he isn't, he's below the goal line offering puck support where he can make something happen with a pass. I really want them to explore every avenue to keep Vlad. He fills a need for us, and his communicative style is only going to make all of our other players better the more he's around.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I predict a much better effort and game on thursday.you can bet all of them are pissed about this game.Canes deserved it,they were the better team tonight.pay them back on thursday

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Kinda boring game. PP needed to be better. Refs were good until the 3rd, the Lindgren trip x2, and the awful icing call were pretty bad. I was also drinking and got 4 hours of sleep last night so all this could be wrong.

I called the Kakko goal. If sir avgard won't show himself, I'll take over the hockey teachings of Kakko. sir bombay, hockey tutor

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
We were in that game.

Just not our forte in terms of playing mistake free hockey.

Should be a wake up call in that generating chances against sound structure is A LOT more difficult than Pitt or an AHL squad

Reactions: Crease

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I’m glad we have them back to back. Gives them an immediate chance to clean up their mistakes. Carolina is going to score off of our mistakes not their skill.

Seven game series our top lines/PP figure it out. The real key was Shesterkin looked dialed in. If we get this Shesterkin in the playoffs we are a tough out.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I had to watch with the incompetent Canes crew. Tripp Tracy incessantly whines about calls and no calls, which is incredible considering the way that team plays. I haven’t screamed at the TV all year, but as soon as their version of Ben Harpur scored, I yelled an expletive that could have been heard in New York. That broadcast team makes me want to kill somebody.
I live in Canes territory, so ESPN+ blacks out any Canes games, thus not being able to watch them at home (YouTube TV doesn't have Bally), so I had to watch the game at the bar. Thankfully, there was no sound, because Tripp Tracy is 100% terrible to listen to/watch. He is an incessant homer, he whines about EVERYTHING, and half the time he's just kissing ass.

This was exactly the type of result I expected to happen on Sunday, not last night. It was bound to happen at some point. Hopefully they return the favor tomorrow night in MSG Raleigh.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Cue the typical overreaction from you. They never led by more than 1 goal.
& the rose colored glasses by you...

Outshot 15-5 in the 2nd but the "epic collapse" wasn't happening yet right? We never had the puck in the 2nd & most of the 3rd.

You've been brainwashed into thinking winning games solely because your goalie is god-like is the ONLY way to do so. False

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I Still Can-Motte believe it’s Motte Butter!

As per the game, yeah was kinda boring, crowd was meh, I did enjoy the singing by John Brancy in person, as a fellow musician appreciated that. But the game was just sucked of any energy by a boring Carolina team.

You only have like 5 SOG in that 2nd, and get outshot like 40 to 30, the other team will usually prevail. Shesty can only do so much. Noesen was left wide open in front of him, and the GW goal, bad turnover, left someone open in the slot.

After coming off those two wins over the weekend, these games are expected. Just gotta move on to the next one.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
They've been talking about Ohtani for, no exaggeration, like ten minutes straight.

He's great and I like the kid but these announcers could make you sick of anyone.

The announcers in that game were horrific. Smoltz we know is bad but having word vomit Joe Davis in the booth and Kevin Burkhardt doing pregame makes absolutely no sense. KB just did the Super Bowl and now he's second fiddle to wannabe Joe Buck. Injustice

Ok back to our regularly scheduled programming

They would have won that game without him. He sucked tonight.

Miller giveth and Miller taketh away. He has been out to lunch in his own zone for a stretch. Needs more 4 point periods if he's going to lose his man every time up ice.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The announcers in that game were horrific. Smoltz we know is bad but having word vomit Joe Davis in the booth and Kevin Burkhardt doing pregame makes absolutely no sense. KB just did the Super Bowl and now he's second fiddle to wannabe Joe Buck. Injustice

Ok back to our regularly scheduled programming

Miller giveth and Miller taketh away. He has been out to lunch in his own zone for a stretch. Needs more 4 point periods if he's going to lose his man every time up ice.
You know, maybe the real reason baseball on a national level gets crappy TV ratings is less about the sport, and more about just how Godawful the broadcasts are?

We do not have a national baseball broadcaster who isn’t polarizing. The last one who wasn’t terrible was Bob Costas before he became “controversial”. Joe Buck was flat out bad and made Tim McCarver unlistenable. When McCarver did Met games, he had chemistry in the booth with the other guys, and didn’t have to do Baseball for Dummies at every turn.

Smoltz is just boring, and Joe Davis has the personality and voice of a piece of toast. He makes Michael Kay a Red Barber or Vin Scully by comparison.

Reactions: McRanger92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad