Post-Game Talk: I can Motte believe it

Who was the man of the match

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
It comes down to near ZERO adjustments made.

On the breakout, their defense is aggressive, getting in front of our forwards. Nothing changed all game.
Continually trying a long stretch pass... didn't work all game. Forwards needed to come back to better support the puck.

On the PP, pressure up top, they finally adapted on the last PP, Kreider missed 2 tap-ins.

We played this team before. We know how they play. We've adapted before. We just weren't ready, per usual.

I'm not really sold on the setup they used on the last PP when the unit was Fox, Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin, and Kane. They had Kane, Panarin, and Zibanejad all spread out on the walls and no one in the bumper. That's going to make it difficult to alleviate pressure from the PK. The pass from Kane to Kreider almost worked, but it that's your go to play, the defenseman and goalie will both be looking to take that lane away soon enough.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'm not really sold on the setup they used on the last PP when the unit was Fox, Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin, and Kane. They had Kane, Panarin, and Zibanejad all spread out on the walls and no one in the bumper. That's going to make it difficult to alleviate pressure from the PK. The pass from Kane to Kreider almost worked, but it that's your go to play, the defenseman and goalie will both be looking to take that lane away soon enough.

They moved the puck at normal speed, and they always tried to start a play sequence from the points, which didn't work against a PK that is so much more aggressive than others. It's a big challenge, admittedly. Getting into the zone and keeping the puck is hard enough against that team, but it's doable if the puck carrier tries to establish the zone in deep, like Fox did one time when he decided to weave through the Canes defenders. But then after that, they need to think about what to do next right away, because you can't hold onto the puck like normal against them.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Top player was Jesper...amazing how he can set the tempo when he is on....hope we don't ever talk about Lindy in the past tense

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It was just an adaptation to how Carolina PKs.

Down low is opened up. Our PP typically runs from uptop with Fox and Panarin. Carolina counters that aggressively, Kane down low is probably our best option off the fly. At least they adapted somewhat. It's unfortunate it took so long because we know how they play... it's not a surprise

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Agree. What Carolina lacks in high end talent after Aho and Svechnikov (who is out injured) they make up for with speed, determination, and fully buying into the coach.

Rangers have a lot of guys who are of the "I play my way" ilk. If they want to win a Cup that attitude has to go away.
What is missed in the “talent” observations is that it always centers on offense.

Carolina has a superb set of defensemen and in particular their top 2 D pairs (Slavin is arguably best defensive damn in the League) are terrific; add to it a 3rd pair that has game breaking speed too.

Canes d score a bunch too.

Reactions: geehaad

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
It comes down to near ZERO adjustments made.

On the breakout, their defense is aggressive, getting in front of our forwards. Nothing changed all game.
Continually trying a long stretch pass... didn't work all game. Forwards needed to come back to better support the puck.

On the PP, pressure up top, they finally adapted on the last PP, Kreider missed 2 tap-ins.

We played this team before. We know how they play. We've adapted before. We just weren't ready, per usual.
Kreider went from a God to an average guy on tips in this season.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
& the rose colored glasses by you...

Outshot 15-5 in the 2nd but the "epic collapse" wasn't happening yet right? We never had the puck in the 2nd & most of the 3rd.

You've been brainwashed into thinking winning games solely because your goalie is god-like is the ONLY way to do so. False
I think nothing of the sort but I don't overreact to losses like you do. Every loss is the end of the world to you. Epic collapse my ass. They lost a 1 goal lead in the 3rd. It happens nearly every night in the NHL. Carolina is good and played well and yet the game was tied 2-2 until about 2 minutes left. They lost. It sucks but It happens. They just went 6-0-1 in their last 7 and destroyed some teams along the way. Get some perspective.

The announcers in that game were horrific. Smoltz we know is bad but having word vomit Joe Davis in the booth and Kevin Burkhardt doing pregame makes absolutely no sense. KB just did the Super Bowl and now he's second fiddle to wannabe Joe Buck. Injustice

Ok back to our regularly scheduled programming

Miller giveth and Miller taketh away. He has been out to lunch in his own zone for a stretch. Needs more 4 point periods if he's going to lose his man every time up ice.
Yup. That 2nd goal against was a killer after we just tied it 15 seconds earlier. No need for him to be so out of position.

Reactions: NikC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
To a man, the Hurricanes are not a very talented team, especially without Svechnikov. What they are is very smart, wholly bought into the system they play, and limit their mistakes to an absolute minimum. The sum is far greater than the parts and they are a tough team to beat because of it.

Was thinking the same thing watching the game last night.

They have a very good coach and a set of players who have been with the team a while and they all buy in. Thats why they are at the top of the league in wins over the past 3 seasons.

Their skill took a big hit with Svechnikov going down. He's also pretty physical. Ditto in some ways losing Trocheck.

The Rangers are oozing skill all over the place. There was a very inconsequential moment behind the net in the Rangers zone last night where Miller was caught out of position, but was able to bat a saucer pass out of the air with a flick of an ankle and his long reach. Its things like that this team has more of throughout the lineup that adds up over time.

I said it after the deadline, if everyone plays to their ability and they all buy into what the team needs to do they will be very hard to beat, over 7 games. Because we've seen that they all compete when the real bell rings. It would take a mental breakdown (similar to what we saw earlier in the year) to sink them.

Reactions: bbny and TheDirtyH

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'm thinking that should be your new avatar.

The reign of David Quinn has ended. The Keith Morrison era has begun.

This is probably the only Keith Morrison avatar on HFBoards.

"With the trail going cold, an unexpected amateur sleuth was determined to solve Jessica's ghastly murder. And what she discovers will blow the case wide open. Back again with 'A Cold Day in Carbondale' is Keith Morrison."

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Tip of the hat. Carolina earned it...excellent defensive game from them
I'm not tipping my hat to them. They didn't WIN the game, we just DIDN'T. We had every ample opportunity to take a multiple goal lead, early and often. PP opps. that resulted in literally nothing. IDC how good their PK is, when you haver the players we have and you get so very few opportunities, well then. It's mirror time.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Agree. What Carolina lacks in high end talent after Aho and Svechnikov (who is out injured) they make up for with speed, determination, and fully buying into the coach.

Rangers have a lot of guys who are of the "I play my way" ilk. If they want to win a Cup that attitude has to go away.

The I play my way guys will be playing their way OUT of the playoffs.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I'm not tipping my hat to them. They didn't WIN the game, we just DIDN'T. We had every ample opportunity to take a multiple goal lead, early and often. PP opps. that resulted in literally nothing. IDC how good their PK is, when you haver the players we have and you get so very few opportunities, well then. It's mirror time.
The Rangers went into shutdown mode too early against Car.
Poorly coached game imo. You cant sit back against Car for 3 periods and not expect a push back..
With a 1g lead? Really?

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
The I play my way guys will be playing their way OUT of the playoffs.
This NYR team's identity is "freelance"... it's their creativity that CAN BEAT the formulaic gameplan of the Canes, who have no answer... Didn't you learn from AV? when other teams figured him out... he lost. period.

Rangers need to be disciplined, but they need to succeed at their strengths, which is offense. They don't need to be the 2000s devils on defense, but they need to be good enough.

The only way they beat a team like Boston, or Tampa is pressure in the offensive zone. 1g leads won't cut it.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I Still Can-Motte believe it’s Motte Butter!

As per the game, yeah was kinda boring, crowd was meh, I did enjoy the singing by John Brancy in person, as a fellow musician appreciated that. But the game was just sucked of any energy by a boring Carolina team.

You only have like 5 SOG in that 2nd, and get outshot like 40 to 30, the other team will usually prevail. Shesty can only do so much. Noesen was left wide open in front of him, and the GW goal, bad turnover, left someone open in the slot.

After coming off those two wins over the weekend, these games are expected. Just gotta move on to the next one.
John Brancy in person was LEGIT

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think nothing of the sort but I don't overreact to losses like you do. Every loss is the end of the world to you. Epic collapse my ass. They lost a 1 goal lead in the 3rd. It happens nearly every night in the NHL. Carolina is good and played well and yet the game was tied 2-2 until about 2 minutes left. They lost. It sucks but It happens. They just went 6-0-1 in their last 7 and destroyed some teams along the way. Get some perspective.

Yup. That 2nd goal against was a killer after we just tied it 15 seconds earlier. No need for him to be so out of position.
My response to another poster was that the epic collapse he/she described started in the 2nd, not the 3rd.

Carolina is good? Talk about needing perspective. In order to win a Cup, something this team hasn't done in nearly 30 yrs, you have to beat "good teams" but you're fine with mediocrity. So be it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
At some point, words matter. The Rangers blowing a five goal lead to the Canadiens was an “epic collapse.” The Rangers getting heavily outshot before relinquishing a 1 goal lead is not an “epic collapse.”

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Glad I switched to Drive to Survive halfway through the first. Was almost asleep and then perked right up.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad