[Hypothetical] Toews and Price on waivers - Would your team claim either?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The Avs would probably take Toews. He'd be an ideal 2c behind MacKinnon. Sucks he gets paid so much but we really need a 2c take some of the pressure off MacKinnon.

I'd have no interest Price. He has an injury history and his contact goes on much longer.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
I think Edmonton would consider Price.
But that would almost certainly entail letting Maroon walk, trading RNH for futures, and finding a team willing to pick up Talbot without sending salary back (good luck considering the season he's currently having).

...and next season, they'll be right back 2nd to last place; tanking for the #1 draft pick.

I can see teams picking up Price, but who the hell would want Toews? Want lackluster offense? A horrible contract? Overrated defensive skills? Toews is your man! He's a bum. Biggest fraud sold to hockey fans, thanks alot media.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's a guy that can give you around 60 points and challenge for the Selke.

He's not a top 10 center in the league. He's not the franchise player some people made him out to be. But if you have Toews in your #1 center chair, you're doing fine.

He's not a Selke challenger anymore.

Price+Toews+ Weber at 28M+ your prospect pool creates an incredible base to build a team, or not.
Good luck trying to contend in 3-4 years with those contracts.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
...and next season, they'll be right back 2nd to last place; tanking for the #1 draft pick.

I can see teams picking up Price, but who the hell would want Toews? Want lackluster offense? A horrible contract? Overrated defensive skills? Toews is your man! He's a bum. Biggest fraud sold to hockey fans, thanks alot media.
Ha! So it's the media hey that has had Toews regarded so highly through all these years?!
Coaches, GM's and players ... naaah they all just follow the media like mindless little sheep.
Very astute comment neXis .. you have shown well! :sarcasm:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
That Price contract is an anchor and it hasn't even kicked in yet. It's not just 10.5. It's 10.5 and gets you his 31 yo to 38 yo seasons, and he's played like shit this season. I can't see any team taking him on except Seattle when they enter the league.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

You're probably right! I never said that's what the oilers should do.

I just get the feeling that Chiarelli is on the hot-seat right now and looking to go big-game hunting.
It's reminiscent of when Lowe was still in charge and was always gunning for a quick turn around: the Vanek and Penner offer-sheets, the botched Heatley deal, signing Souray, courting FAs like Jagr and Hossa. It reeks of desperation.

So yeah, if Price were hypothetically put on waivers, I imagine Edmonton would be interested...

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
The hate Toews gets is unreal. He's exactly what he's always been, a 55-65 point 200ft centre who plays in all situations and who captained the Chicago Blackhawks to three Stanley Cups.

That player gets paid, every time, in every market.

As for Price, not many players make teams contenders with their presence alone. Montreal has been awful for several years, and yet they have the best goalie in the world, so they matter. Until this year. Of course Price gets claimed.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
The hate Toews gets is unreal. He's exactly what he's always been, a 55-65 point 200ft centre who plays in all situations and who captained the Chicago Blackhawks to three Stanley Cups.

That player gets paid, every time, in every market.

As for Price, not many players make teams contenders with their presence alone. Montreal has been awful for several years, and yet they have the best goalie in the world, so they matter. Until this year. Of course Price gets claimed.

Toews is currently the highest paid player in the league along with Kane. He is overpaid. McDavid will rightfully overtake him next year.

1Connor McDavid

CENTER
$12,500,000
2Patrick Kane

RIGHT WING
$10,500,000
Jonathan Toews

CENTER
$10,500,000
Carey Price

GOALTENDER
$10,500,000
5Jack Eichel

CENTER
$10,000,000
Anze Kopitar

CENTER
$10,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Yes to both for the Avs. Contracts are ugly obv but we can afford it and especially with all the young good D coming up, we would instantly be a favorite.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Price:

Plus $6 million over Dubnyk, which means we'd have to clear that amount off of the books, which means Spurgeon/Granlund/Nino our the door with no contracts coming back.

No thanks.

Toews:

$5 million over Koivu, so same scenario as Price.

Also a 'no thanks'.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, since both have NMC, and, therefore cannot be waived under any circumstances, this is a fantasy question.

In any case, Montreal has the cap room for both. We'd take Toews.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Well, since both have NMC, and, therefore cannot be waived under any circumstances, this is a fantasy question.

In any case, Montreal has the cap room for both. We'd take Toews.
You are already stuck with Price and you would also take Toews?????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad