[Hypothetical] Toews and Price on waivers - Would your team claim either?

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I think Edmonton would consider Price.
But that would almost certainly entail letting Maroon walk, trading RNH for futures, and finding a team willing to pick up Talbot without sending salary back (good luck considering the season he's currently having).

It's no doubt that both guys still hold a ton of value as players, but in the salary cap era those huge contracts really limit a team's options.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Any team in the league would claim Toews imo and try to dump contracts for mid round picks. Price is trickier as many teams have a goalie so if you have a legit starter already you wouldnt want to pay also for Price at 10 mil for 1 zillion years.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
If Jets claim Toews it means bye bye Buff and even maybe Wheeler in 2 years if we are unlucky
Not sure I would do that

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
On what planet would most teams claim Price?
Arizona, Buffalo, Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton, Detroit, Florida, Carolina, New York (I), Colorado, Calgary, Philadelphia and Winnipeg would IMO. St Louis, Dallas, Vegas, Anaheim and San Jose are debatable. Rangers and Hawks depends which direction they go in.

Tampa, Nashville, Boston, Toronto, Washington, Pittsburgh, Minny, New Jersey, LA and Columbus are no's.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Too bad the contracts are that long, otherwise a rebuilding team with deep pockets like the Rangers could take both then trade both for huge hauls of futures with 50% retention.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Any team in the league would claim Toews imo and try to dump contracts for mid round picks.
Of course not. There may be a decent way for seome teams, but getting a ~55 point player with 5 more years to pay him ~10.5M isn't attractive enough for teams to give away multiple useful players or multiple fringely useful players AND futures (because you can't really give your trash away and get something useful like mid-picks).

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Of course not. There may be a decent way for seome teams, but getting a ~55 point player with 5 more years to pay him ~10.5M isn't attractive enough for teams to give away multiple useful players or multiple fringely useful players AND futures (because you can't really give your trash away and get something useful like mid-picks).
Cap is going up by probably around 4mil. All you have to do is clear another 6 even if you are cap team today. This can normally be done by giving up a 1st on a cap dump and also maybe downgrading slightly on some 2mil depth player to an ELC. I'd give up a 1st to get Toews any freaking day of the week. Toews doesn't just bring you pointzzz

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not convinced either would get claimed. Few teams could afford to just add 10.5 to their cap. Toews makes much more in actual salary doesn’t he? How many teams want to pay his actual at all? Any team that actually had the room to pay either are likely not great choices for either.

As bad as the canes need a goalie I wouldn’t add Price.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Price is an awful contract, even worse than Toews.

But no to both. Kadri is around the same tier of center now at 4.5 million a year.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Price's body is worn out. That contract is an albatross.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
The funniest thing about price. That horrendous contract doesn't start until next year. Lol. Marc bergevin...what an idiot.

Jan 21, 2018
Jets would likely claim Toews and place him on the third line, they might even trade for him if Chicago retains to the max. But I could see Toews going two ways, either being bought out and signs a cheap contract with the Jets, or Chicago toughs it out and waits for his contract to die.

But yeah I'd claim both of them, what team wouldn't?

You really think a team like Pittsburgh would claim Toews or Price? The changes they'd have to make to fit either of them would make them far worse off.

Jan 21, 2018
Yes, both.

Avs

Would take some wiggling to get both to fit, but they have a few guys on IR now, and Bernier left todays game (pulled for goals, but had taken a head shot and did not stay on bench after getting pulled). So IR him as well, and go with a skeleton roster and it could work.

Could definitely see the Avs taking on Toews. Not sure they bite on Price, imo that cap space would be better spent on defense. Varly/Bernier have shown flashes of good goaltending, once their D improves there's no need for Price or his contract.

Jan 21, 2018
VGK declines

Adding someone like Toews would go a long way in marketing that team, let alone his on ice contribution making the team better. He'd be the new captain, a face they can actually market to the fans. A proven winner...I can see them passing on Price but I think Toews would be the best fit in Vegas.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Any team in the league would claim Toews imo and try to dump contracts for mid round picks. Price is trickier as many teams have a goalie so if you have a legit starter already you wouldnt want to pay also for Price at 10 mil for 1 zillion years.

Just simply not true to Toews. There's a few teams sure, but no chance that every team does it.

Leafs are already right at the cap and have to consider Nylander getting a new contract next year and Matthews and Marner the year after.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Arizona, Buffalo, Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton, Detroit, Florida, Carolina, New York (I), Colorado, Calgary, Philadelphia and Winnipeg would IMO. St Louis, Dallas, Vegas, Anaheim and San Jose are debatable. Rangers and Hawks depends which direction they go in.

s.
You are wrong about the isles claiming Price. Not only are the isles trying to give both Tavares and Bailey large checks this summer, but Lee and Barzal get significant raises in the next 1-2 summers.

Isles will use a stop gap goalie over the next 2 seasons,get Soderstrom over and hope Sorokin comes over at the end of the 2019-2020 season.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
From a Habs point of view, I'd put a claim on Toews in a nano second.

Much rather overpay for star players than collectively overpay for a bunch of marginal players, which is what we're doing right about now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad