[Hypothetical] Toews and Price on waivers - Would your team claim either?

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
From a Habs point of view, I'd put a claim on Toews in a nano second.

Much rather overpay for star players than collectively overpay for a bunch of marginal players, which is what we're doing right about now.

I feel bad that a team is pathetic enough to take a 2nd line center for 10.5 million a year.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
From a Habs point of view, I'd put a claim on Toews in a nano second.

Much rather overpay for star players than collectively overpay for a bunch of marginal players, which is what we're doing right about now.
You overpaid for a player that could be a star one day and who played center in... juniors? Is that not enough for you? :sarcasm:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
You overpaid for a player that could be a star one day and who played center in... juniors? Is that not enough for you? :sarcasm:

People put too much emphasis on stats in a season where everything has been going wrong. Drouin is a kid that produced at a 60 points pace at 21 years old in a limited role on TB. His struggles, and everyone else's struggle as far as the Habs are concerned, say more about the team than it says about each player individually.

I may be in the minority at this point, but value wise, the Drouin trade was fine in a vacuum.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
2016-2017:
72 GP 21 G 37 A 58 P
2017-2018
58 GP 15 G 22A 37 P

He's a guy that can give you around 60 points and challenge for the Selke.

He's not a top 10 center in the league. He's not the franchise player some people made him out to be. But if you have Toews in your #1 center chair, you're doing fine.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Adding someone like Toews would go a long way in marketing that team, let alone his on ice contribution making the team better. He'd be the new captain, a face they can actually market to the fans. A proven winner...I can see them passing on Price but I think Toews would be the best fit in Vegas.

Vegas already has a very marketable Canadian with 3 Cups.

Reactions: hangman005

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
People put too much emphasis on stats in a season where everything has been going wrong. Drouin is a kid that produced at a 60 points pace at 21 years old in a limited role on TB. His struggles, and everyone else's struggle as far as the Habs are concerned, say more about the team than it says about each player individually.

I may be in the minority at this point, but value wise, the Drouin trade was fine in a vacuum.
That is why I said he could be a star. He definitely has all the tools for it. People give too much crap for the Habs for that trade imo too, I thought the value was fine when the trade was made and still think it could end up well for the Habs. It's not like Serg would be this impressive if he was with the Habs this season.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Adding someone like Toews would go a long way in marketing that team, let alone his on ice contribution making the team better. He'd be the new captain, a face they can actually market to the fans. A proven winner...I can see them passing on Price but I think Toews would be the best fit in Vegas.
The rumour's that he had checked out if even remotely true means he is an awful fit for Vegas. The whole Vegas Mantra is character guys who work their asses off... if Toew's isn't gonna do that in Chicago, why do we take the risk of that in Vegas.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nope no chance, zero interest in either player with their horrible contracts and current play. Hard pass on both

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Canucks - no to Toews. We could use centre depth, but by the time we're competitive, Toews will be long past his prime and that contract is awful.

Maybe to Price. Depends on if Demko and/or DiPietro pan out.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
No thanks. The two most overrated players of this era. No one is paying 10.5M for a C who can't even get 60pts. And Price isn't much better.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
You are wrong about the isles claiming Price. Not only are the isles trying to give both Tavares and Bailey large checks this summer, but Lee and Barzal get significant raises in the next 1-2 summers.

Isles will use a stop gap goalie over the next 2 seasons,get Soderstrom over and hope Sorokin comes over at the end of the 2019-2020 season.
Having a Price in nets would probably be a bonus in having Tavares stay. Just my opinion.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
2016-2017:
72 GP 21 G 37 A 58 P
2017-2018
58 GP 15 G 22A 37 P

58p last year did put him in the nhl top 30 center production wise, like Giroux/Koivu/Kesler/Monahan. 2016-2017+2017/2018 he is #29 among center in points, 30 in ppg among center with 65 games played or more.

Has for the question if a team with a lot cap space (Coyote, Canes,) that care more about actual salary and could be interested in getting a star financially wise.

Season coming up for

Price
15M
15M
9.75M
13M
7.75M
8.5M
7.5M
7.5M

Toews (at least as the 3 year's paid at 13.8m in is pass)
12M
9.8M
7M
6.9M
6.9M

Price a 2 big year coming up vs Toews getting cheaper if you have to care about actual money as a GM.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I mean Toews isn't a star, but he's still a damn good center. Excellent defensive and in possession and puts up points at a high line 2nd center rate. Devils have an insane amount of cap space. I think I'd take him. Have him play on the 2nd line behind Nico going forward. Especially when the Devils have a massive need at center. He'd be what Zajac was years ago for us. Hell, I think I'd take it.

Price I wouldn't touch though since we have Schneider.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I feel bad that a team is pathetic enough to take a 2nd line center for 10.5 million a year.

You should absolutely feel bad for the Habs first line center situation post Koivu (that was so often injured that we could push that to post Damphouse/Turgeon)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad