Post-Game Talk: Hutch gets 1st win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
What I found most interesting is that Nylander thought he could rest on his laurels after popping 2 goals the night before and coast through this game, however "No Effort No Play" seems to be the message the new coach is sending. Kapanen and Kerfoot also told to take a seat and keep him company.

Keefe despite being new, is not afraid to ruffle any feathers right out of the gate and team first has to be #1 objective and not player feelings. I wasn't sure a young inexperienced coach would pull no punches this soon, but its good to see.

On a more positive note you have to like what Envall and Mikheyev are bringing nightly and its also a well deserved promotion into the top 6. I think it makes the Leafs bigger, stronger and faster and allows them to play a more heavy game as those 2 powerforwards because they're also both strong defensively, can compete against most other opposition lines. If they continue to play this way they will be hard to demote down the lineup as the opposition gets better.
Absolutely

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Interesting to watch Keefe start to assert himself more and more, back pats and pure sunshine are over, he’s starting to demand certain things.

Couldn’t be happier with the guy to date....
Interesting to watch Keefe start to assert himself more and more, back pats and pure sunshine are over, he’s starting to demand certain things.

Couldn’t be happier with the guy to date....
Honesty and integrity !
Most people respond to these things

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Keep that Hyman-Matthews-Marner line together. I also LOVEEEE Miky and Engvall with Tavares. They fit him better than Marner tbh. They're gritty, nice little touch passes here and there and they shield the puck more. Tavares is grittier than Marner so a lot of the time it's him playing the set up shop guy. Nylander-Kapanen also seem like a natural match given the skating talent, plus it would give Nylander way more touches of the puck.

THIS.

Coach saw our lines get stale and switched it up.

One has to wonder if having a Matthews - Marner together going forward is more beneficial.
-Sub in Hyman for Forecheck and Defensive upside.
-Sub in Nylander for possession and offensive upside.

Tavares will be a boost Engvall and Mikheyev. Suddenly our second offensive line is a big body line with alot of talent speed and grit.
Those 2 rookies will explode with a centre like Tavares.
-Sub in Marner when you need magic to happen.
-Sub in Nylander for possession and offense

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
What I found most interesting is that Nylander thought he could rest on his laurels after popping 2 goals the night before and coast through this game, however "No Effort No Play" seems to be the message the new coach is sending. Kapanen and Kerfoot also told to take a seat and keep him company.

Keefe despite being new, is not afraid to ruffle any feathers right out of the gate and team first has to be #1 objective and not player feelings. I wasn't sure a young inexperienced coach would pull no punches this soon, but its good to see.

On a more positive note you have to like what Envall and Mikheyev are bringing nightly and its also a well deserved promotion into the top 6. I think it makes the Leafs bigger, stronger and faster and allows them to play a more heavy game as those 2 powerforwards because they're also both strong defensively, can compete against most other opposition lines. If they continue to play this way they will be hard to demote down the lineup as the opposition gets better.

I commented on this adjustment in another thread and will repeat myself here. This COULD be a fantastic line for the team. Mikheyev and Engvall are big, sturdy fellas. Defensively responsibly and good to better skaters. Each possesses hard shots. Couple them with Tavares, the embodiment of hard work ethic and talent, and you've got a line that I'd match up against the best of any team in the league. In short, this could be our ultimate shut-down line. Speed, strength, defensive ability and cycling in the O zone...I'm not sure I can come up with a better line for facing the best we will see. That the other team has to then contend with their offensive abilities, damn I like it. I hope it's something Keefe is considering full time. Because if Keefe does, it opens up Matthews line (with Marner and Nylander, oh I'm getting moist) while leaving Kappy, Kerfoot and Johnsson to race away. I can't imagine too many teams able to match against those two lines. Stop it, son, you're getting giddy.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I think if Babcock was more equal when he did this, people wouldnt have minded, instead only some players got that treatment from him while others never did despite sometimes deserving it.

Keefe isnt afraid to do it to anyone - ie even Matthews a few games ago had to deal with it

People generally are smart enough to know how they performed and if they deserved some slack for it.

So far with Keefe, hes been fair and plays according to chemistry and on ice performance.

Babcock gave Free passes to Vets. He would pick on Nylander alot for his play after 1 error, while Matthews and Marner had a longer leash.

Hyman and Brown could never do any wrong despite messing up plays left right and center.

Marleau was never demoted playing like an AHLer.

And with the whole spotlight on Babs ego...

I can see how players can recieve it worse

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think you mean Dubas*

They were splitting GM duties during that period. Believe it was reported Dubas duties included things like trades while Hunter was focused on the draft.
Hyman requested to come here. He said he would hold out and go to ufa if they didn't move him here.
Unverified source, but he told me about it before the signing

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Anyone who thought this team "just isn't that good" doesn't have clue about hockey. And it wasn't a small fringe group who thought that.

Yeah them Babcock supporters were so quick to trash our team/Dubas just to absolve him of his incompetence :laugh:

And no it definitely wasn't a small fringe group, most of them don't even show their faces around here nowadays. "Leafs fans" Pathetic.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Yup he said they have a long way to go
Can you imagine if the coaching change wasn’t made? The Leafs still have some warts but they’re damn entertaining to watch. Many of us on here called for in-game adjustments, even trying Matthews with Marner if the lines weren’t working. But that knucklehead former coach would say they have to grind and figure it out on their own. What kind of coaching is that???

It’s amazing how many decisions Keefe has made that I agree with and I was thinking beforehand they should do. The latest being leaving Tima in the lineup in place of Spezza. The lineup changes in-game were genius. It was obvious that Nylander and Kapanen were coasting and the dynamic duo of Mika and Engvall we’re flying. Keefe might be the best thing to have happened to the Leafs since they won the lottery.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
What I find amusing is when the former coach sat Nylander or dropped him down a couple of spots he was considered an a--hole who just hated him. When the current coach does the same thing, it's tough love that's going to make him better. :laugh:

It's a pretty simple situation:

When Babcock benched Nylander, it was only him. Nobody else. Even Kapanen was allowed to do fly-by's and turn the puck over.

More importantly though, Babcock relied on depth players who didn't even deserve the boost in ice time.

Keefe on the other hand kept it equal and sent out matthews and tavares every other shift + rolled out wingers who have been playing amazing. Literally every other shift matthews/marner or JT was on with all the wingers who have been lights out.

I'm sure your agenda is to just talk trash though and you don't care to consider the differences and why it causes nobody to complain heavily about Nylander's demotion.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Wow a couple of weeks ago I thought we had a better chance of missing the playoffs vs getting in. Now look at us. Keefe has been revolutionary for this team. Seeing the in game adjustments lead to wins is such a beautiful thing. We played the worst team in the NHL so that needs to be factored in, but you can only play who you have on your schedule. Points like these need to be bagged and they were.

Very optimistic about this team now. Hoping we can keep this going.

Reactions: weems
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad