Post-Game Talk: Hutch Clutch as "Marlies" Disrespect Habs 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I'm not really sure what evidence you want. He threw some blind passes up the ice that ended in icings, he took a penalty, he had some giveaways, and just generally did not push the pace like he needed to in this game. I'm somebody who is a big believer in him and I wanted him to start the year and I'm confident he will be ready next year, or maybe even partway through this year, but he's not ready right now. I do wish they had tried him and Sandin together though.

Sounds like you watched a different game than the rest of us. Liljegren had zero giveaways in that game. NHL.com also says you’re wrong there. He definitely pushed the pace last night, And his pass that ended up as an icing almost sprung a breakaway, he should make that play more often than not because he has the skill to pull it off.

Reactions: Advanced stats

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When Chara first came over from the Islanders, Senator fans couldn't wait for him to be bounced out of town!

the knocks were, he couldn't skate, he doesn't use his size, he has no hockey smarts and has no idea what he's supposed to be doing.

that opinion changed radically by year two, when Chara started to blossom into the player he would become.

I am in no way saying that Harpur can or will develop into a guy like Chara. Chara at that time the Senators acquired him already had 205 NHL games under his belt in contrast Harpur has just over 100.

The message here is for once LeaFland needs to have a little patience with a young player. Defencemen are different and need lot's of experience before they find their actual role in the game. Not everyone is a Rielly or a Pietrangelo who are pretty much NHL ready out of junior. There isn't a person on these forums who could have predicted that the undrafted Mark Giordano would develop into a Norris winner.
Harpur is 24. Will be 25 this year. He has also played a bunch of AHL games. It's not like he's a young prospect.

Leafs are a contending team and should not be playing players that play bad because they might be the one in a million outlier that is Chara.

It seems young players either stink and have no business wearing an NHL uniform, or have HoF upside, in LeaFland there doesn't seem to be any middle ground.
Where did I say either of these things?

Sounds like you watched a different game than the rest of us. Liljegren had zero giveaways in that game. NHL.com also says you’re wrong there. He definitely pushed the pace last night, And his pass that ended up as an icing almost sprung a breakaway, he should make that play more often than not because he has the skill to pull it off.
NHL.com is never right about those "real time stats". Liljegren had multiple giveaways. And no, he should not be icing the puck more. Apparently you can't make the tiniest criticism about any player around here without getting your head bitten off.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I was driving .. so listening on the radio. The collective sigh you could hear over the radio every time LeafsMarlies scored last night haha. It was great.
It was crazy cause it was just the first goal and the boo birds were already out. I wonder how that guy who was complaining about us dressing a weaker lineup feels now.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Look I did not watch the game but we beat the Habs baby and by 3 nil. With a roster of Marlies. and Hutch must have been good. and it is really really hard to criticize anyone on a defense crew who helped post a shutout. Too many people here being overly critical.

Reactions: The Cobra

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
well,,,, the answer is pretty simple

your 8th+ depth D either need to be able to pass waivers(aka, not desired/overly useful) or be waiver exempt

seeing that our waiver exempt pool is just a puddle, i'm not sure what else can be done.

would it really hurt to lose him on waivers? I just can't see that hurting...

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Korshkov can go too. Everyone in love with the guy all of a sudden because he had one fluky game. His last 3 years have been crap and he still can't skate good enough to be an NHLer. Maybe Barb can fix him.

Tbf he's been pretty sidetracked by injury. He has been in the KHL where young players don't have much opportunity to develop. Perhaps now he is putting it together. Hope he does well, leafs could use his size on the wing.

buds69

Oct 4, 2017
serviceable...better than Martin freaking Marincin just saying
Marincin has honestly looked pretty good so far..he was also a top d man at the world championships. Sandin-Marincin for 12 games or so before it likely goes to Sandin-Dermott is solid.

Reactions: cookie

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
its almost like hes been playing with ECHL defense partners this whole camp, hard enough to do YOUR job in the NHL, do have to do somebody elses as well is almost impossible. seriously...those partners of his, WOOF! i still think hes the best option for that last defense spot. hopefully he tears it up with the marlies and leaves the leafs with no choice other than promotion!

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
NHL.com is never right about those "real time stats". Liljegren had multiple giveaways. And no, he should not be icing the puck more. Apparently you can't make the tiniest criticism about any player around here without getting your head bitten off.

Keep on digging that hole. Liljegren had no giveaways that I recall last night, and he was one of the guys I focused on all game. Seeing how NHL.com also has him at zero giveaways, maybe you are misremembering a few things about last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad