Post-Game Talk: Hutch Clutch as "Marlies" Disrespect Habs 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
i was at the game yesterday ...
liligren was pretty awful. Who cares if he had 1 good long pass, he was terrible in the dzone all night and made a bunch of stupid mistakes (with and without the puck). He is not ready to take the next step. Hes shown nothing in this preseason.

my duds of the night were schmatz and bracco. im sorry for bracco but hes clearly a 1 dimenional player who isnt fast enough or good enough defensivly to make up for his small size. Schmaltz was just plain bad. He was bobbling that puck all night and making really stupid decisions.

positives. hutchinson clearly had a great night. For the forwards; read, shore, petan and korshkov were great and noticeable, the rest not so much.

I remember when I used to drop truth bombs... It never goes over very well.

To be fair, Bracco and Liljegren both can still improve. I remember Brad Boyes being a similar prospect to Bracco where the production was there but the NHL level game wasn't. It took him a bit longer to round out his game. Liljegren will make better decisions and reads with more pro game experience. Not every prospect is a quick study.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Did not see the game but as I stated beforehand Ben will not do well in a speed game which Habs play. But that said he would have helped last year in game 2 when Boston pushed us around the rink.
But we want to dictate the pace and we want a speed game. I'd rather not build the lineup around the worst reffed game in the entire league last year, which we didn't lose because of "toughness". Other than the fight that broke up an offensive chance, I didn't even see much toughness from him. I'm trying to give him a chance, but this game was a disaster for him.

Care to back that up with some evidence?
I'm not really sure what evidence you want. He threw some blind passes up the ice that ended in icings, he took a penalty, he had some giveaways, and just generally did not push the pace like he needed to in this game. I'm somebody who is a big believer in him and I wanted him to start the year and I'm confident he will be ready next year, or maybe even partway through this year, but he's not ready right now. I do wish they had tried him and Sandin together though.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
But we want to dictate the pace and we want a speed game. I'd rather not build the lineup around the worst reffed game in the entire league last year, which we didn't lose because of "toughness". Other than the fight that broke up an offensive chance, I didn't even see much toughness from him. I'm trying to give him a chance, but this game was a disaster for him.

I'm not really sure what evidence you want. He threw some blind passes up the ice that ended in icings, he took a penalty, he had some giveaways, and just generally did not push the pace like he needed to in this game. I'm somebody who is a big believer in him and I wanted him to start the year and I'm confident he will be ready next year, or maybe even partway through this year, but he's not ready right now. I do wish they had tried him and Sandin together though.
All big men are awkward skaters. Even Prongs was an awkward skater. Chara is awkward. But there are a few times over season and playoffs where some goof like Lucic or Wilson or DeBrusk takes a run at your goalie or player to change game mo around. Teams that just stand around watching the slap around take place and looking up to the rafters generally lose. It has always been that way and hockey culture is changing somewhat but it still prevails. We need a presence so teams and guys think twice about walking all over us. Today when teams play the Leafs they look at it as an easy 'no touch' game. Like it or not that is what hockey people feel and say when you talk to them privately off the record.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
All big men are awkward skaters.
The problem wasn't that he skated awkwardly. The problem is he sucked at the hockey part.

But there are a few times over season and playoffs where some goof like Lucic or Wilson or DeBrusk takes a run at your goalie or player to change game mo around.
There is absolutely zero evidence that having a guy like Harpur does anything to prevent this.

Today when teams play the Leafs they look at it as an easy 'no touch' game.
Lol @ the Leafs being viewed as an "easy" game in any way. Most teams in the league do not play the way you seem to think.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The problem wasn't that he skated awkwardly. The problem is he sucked at the hockey part.

There is absolutely zero evidence that having a guy like Harpur does anything to prevent this.

Lol @ the Leafs being viewed as an "easy" game in any way. Most teams in the league do not play the way you seem to think.
part #1 i did not see game so can't comment
part #2 only stanley cups count
part #3 all you have to do is ask the leafs are the softest team in the league

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Again no one will go on record as no one wants to be looked at as taboo in leafland kinda like the emporers new clothes ... i think Prongs and kipper were the only one on record as saying it
A few opposing players alluded to the Leafs being soft last year. It's hardly a secret.

Reactions: DarkKnight

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

This is pretty much all wrong, but carry on.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
i was at the game yesterday ...
liligren was pretty awful. Who cares if he had 1 good long pass, he was terrible in the dzone all night and made a bunch of stupid mistakes (with and without the puck). He is not ready to take the next step. Hes shown nothing in this preseason.

my duds of the night were schmatz and bracco. im sorry for bracco but hes clearly a 1 dimenional player who isnt fast enough or good enough defensivly to make up for his small size. Schmaltz was just plain bad. He was bobbling that puck all night and making really stupid decisions.

positives. hutchinson clearly had a great night. For the forwards; read, shore, petan and korshkov were great and noticeable, the rest not so much.
Lilly was really good. Just because he didn't do fancy moves doesn't make him bad.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Care to back that up with some evidence?

Liljegren played well in his own zone, played very well in his brief special teams time, made plenty of tape to tape passes, and picked up an assist on an impressive breakout pass. He had a very good game, it’s too bad Babcock seems to have made up his mind on Liljegren as a result of his first 5 shaky minutes of camp, he deserved big minutes this game.
Mapleleafs hot stove on Lilly in this game.
Timothy Liljegren — His best effort of preseason so far. A few stumbles here and there, but he was more decisive going back for pucks and breaking them out. He looked like he had loosened up a little and wasn’t playing it as safe as he was in prior outings. He broke up some plays by holding an aggressive line and a good stick in the neutral zone. He picked up an assist on the Darren Archibald goal after sending Nic Petan away down the wing. You’d like things to be a little smoother for him, still — there were some stumbles (he fell over a couple of times defending the cycle along the wall) and he makes some extra work for himself with his footwork at times, but those are things that can be cleaned up. Encouraging effort overall.

Reactions: The Cobra

member 300185

Good game,
Can cut everyone other than Korshkov, Agistino, Hutchinson, Petan, and Liljeren.
Korshkov can go too. Everyone in love with the guy all of a sudden because he had one fluky game. His last 3 years have been crap and he still can't skate good enough to be an NHLer. Maybe Barb can fix him.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

When Chara first came over from the Islanders, Senator fans couldn't wait for him to be bounced out of town!

the knocks were, he couldn't skate, he doesn't use his size, he has no hockey smarts and has no idea what he's supposed to be doing.

that opinion changed radically by year two, when Chara started to blossom into the player he would become.

I am in no way saying that Harpur can or will develop into a guy like Chara. Chara at that time the Senators acquired him already had 205 NHL games under his belt in contrast Harpur has just over 100.

The message here is for once LeaFland needs to have a little patience with a young player. Defencemen are different and need lot's of experience before they find their actual role in the game. Not everyone is a Rielly or a Pietrangelo who are pretty much NHL ready out of junior. There isn't a person on these forums who could have predicted that the undrafted Mark Giordano would develop into a Norris winner.

It seems young players either stink and have no business wearing an NHL uniform, or have HoF upside, in LeaFland there doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad