Post-Game Talk: Hutch Clutch as "Marlies" Disrespect Habs 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
In my roster, both have a spot in our top 12. I don't understand how Spezza is all but guaranteed a spot. The last few years he's produced like a fourth liner at even strength, he doesn't drive play, his PP production has been bad, he doesn't play on the PK. Literally the only thing about his game that is still good are the faceoffs. It's just name recognition.

I'd say that all of Moore, Timashov, Petan, Shore, and Agostino are better options.

I don't disagree - bit of a toss-up right now between them all. I've been less than impressed with Agostino however. I could see Spezza holding a roster spot. Looks like the battle is between Petan, Timashov, and Agostino.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Didn’t catch the game yesterday; looking at the posts here and TOI for Lily on nhl website; there a reason Lily only played 14 mins?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Didn’t catch the game yesterday; looking at the posts here and TOI for Lily on nhl website; there a reason Lily only played 14 mins?
justin-holl.jpg

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
To be fair, part of the reason we are still entertaining shitty options on D, is because we have mostly shitty options. We’ve brought a lot of garbage to camp to fight for a job, that was the deal. We need a PK D, that’s why this tire fire Marincin is still in the mix, not because he’s desirable. We’ve put the guy on waivers twice, nothing speaks louder, it’s a failure to find a replacement that is the story here.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
To be fair, part of the reason we are still entertaining ****ty options on D, is because we have mostly ****ty options. We’ve brought a lot of garbage to camp to fight for a job, that was the deal. We need a PK D, that’s why this tire fire Marincin is still in the mix, not because he’s desirable. We’ve put the guy on waivers twice, nothing speaks louder, it’s a failure to find a replacement that is the story here.
I feel the options Dubas provided we're good enough considering he's our 7th D. He's the caliber player every team has when there's an injury.

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and qqaz

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Petan, Korshkov, and Hutchinson looked great. I think all of them bought themselves more time.

Everybody complaining about Liljegren not playing much, I'm a big Liljegren supporter but he was not good this game. Also don't understand the Marincin hate. He has looked fine this preseason so far.

Only one that stood out as horrible (and I say this as somebody who doesn't agree with the instant hate he got) is Harpur. My god what was he doing out there.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I thought Spezza has looked good, TBH. He does all the little things right. For a player that will get 8-10 min a night, it won’t be an issue.

I agree.

We’ll see how he is come January, but to start the year, Spezz is fine

Reactions: qqaz

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Timashov / Petan might be a case where both have to clear waivers and if you're going to try and invest in one, which do you choose? They may be siding with Timmy even though Petan may be the better player right now.

Marincin shouldn't be playing here...
Agreed

Marincin shoulda been in the prove it game... yet hes penciled in with the big boys, shame

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Watching the pvrd game. Love to hear the booing lol. Korshkov scored and boooooooo. Eat it up hab fans

I was driving .. so listening on the radio. The collective sigh you could hear over the radio every time LeafsMarlies scored last night haha. It was great.

Reactions: Ratboy

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Did not watch game but congrats to Hutch. He earned his spot. The other guy should be cut for not taking the net. We can't have a loser like that tending goal. I would still like to see us get a better backup but with our CAP issues I can't realistically see it occurring unless we can get a team to eat much of the CAP.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Petan, Korshkov, and Hutchinson looked great. I think all of them bought themselves more time.

Everybody complaining about Liljegren not playing much, I'm a big Liljegren supporter but he was not good this game. Also don't understand the Marincin hate. He has looked fine this preseason so far.

Only one that stood out as horrible (and I say this as somebody who doesn't agree with the instant hate he got) is Harpur. My god what was he doing out there.
Did not see the game but as I stated beforehand Ben will not do well in a speed game which Habs play. But that said he would have helped last year in game 2 when Boston pushed us around the rink. and guess what the refs did squat all to stop. so I think he will get the 7th spot and he will play either D or wing against certain heavy teams.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Everybody complaining about Liljegren not playing much, I'm a big Liljegren supporter but he was not good this game.

Care to back that up with some evidence?

Liljegren played well in his own zone, played very well in his brief special teams time, made plenty of tape to tape passes, and picked up an assist on an impressive breakout pass. He had a very good game, it’s too bad Babcock seems to have made up his mind on Liljegren as a result of his first 5 shaky minutes of camp, he deserved big minutes this game.

Reactions: stickty111

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Very intrigued by what i saw from Korshkov. The talent has always been there from Petan, hes just not better then anyone in our top 6. Liljegren as ive always said, skates like an NHLer, moves the puck like and NHLer, shoots the puck like an NHLer, DOES NOT THINK like an NHLer. I think hes losing stock.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Reporter: what's your thoughts on Marincin?
Babcock: he's filled out looks like he wants to play for the leafs
Reporter; yes, but what about his play.
Babs: well he looks 6'4 out there all game... but this year he is noticeably fuller.
Reporter: yes we noticed.. but how is his defensive game?
Babs: listen, all I can tell you is that I see a gud pro right now.
Reporter: ok... you know I'd feel more comfortable if we stopped doing post games in the showers.

How about:

Reporter: what's your thoughts on Marincin?
Babcock: Well, my choices for the 3rd pairing are limited to entry level and league minimum reclamation projects. He's the devil I know.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Impressed with Hutchinson, Petan, and Matt Read.

Hutch is just fine for the backup job. He can make 20 NHL starts, and wouldn't sink the team for a stretch if there's an injury to Andersen. If there's a better option on waivers for the same (rock bottom) salary, then you can make a change.

Petan is doing exactly what I wanted him to do. I said before that the guy is the perfect 4th liner/spare forward for this team. He can be a bandaid anywhere in the lineup.

And Read subtly lead all forwards in ice time. The guy is calm and composed, decently quick, and has a ton of experience. He isn't going to make the team, nor should he. But I hope he accepts a contract with the Marlies. Having an 8 year NHL vet that made his living being a small scorer would be great down on the farm.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I read somewhere that the Leafs could offer Neuvirth a try-out contact to prove he can stay healthy (like they did with Ramo) and keep Hutch in the fold too.

I hope Agostino makes it. or someone of his ilk - a grinder. Petan is a nice option but we have a lot of his skill-set

Reactions: qqaz

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
To be fair, part of the reason we are still entertaining ****ty options on D, is because we have mostly ****ty options. We’ve brought a lot of garbage to camp to fight for a job, that was the deal. We need a PK D, that’s why this tire fire Marincin is still in the mix, not because he’s desirable. We’ve put the guy on waivers twice, nothing speaks louder, it’s a failure to find a replacement that is the story here.

Well...we traded Gunnarsson and Polak is playing for DAL. If they were both here right now, we still would have people labelling them "***** options".

We are talking about placing a number 6 defenseman on an NHL roster. This will always be contested and forever it will be considered "the wrong player".

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It was obvious who the hungrier team was last night. Regardless of how the pre-season shakes out, we will have more quality reinforcements available on the Marlies this season.

Hutchinson in particular was encouraging given the situation with Neuvirth.

Reactions: qqaz and SAMCRO44

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Care to back that up with some evidence?

Liljegren played well in his own zone, played very well in his brief special teams time, made plenty of tape to tape passes, and picked up an assist on an impressive breakout pass. He had a very good game, it’s too bad Babcock seems to have made up his mind on Liljegren as a result of his first 5 shaky minutes of camp, he deserved big minutes this game.

i was at the game yesterday ...
liligren was pretty awful. Who cares if he had 1 good long pass, he was terrible in the dzone all night and made a bunch of stupid mistakes (with and without the puck). He is not ready to take the next step. Hes shown nothing in this preseason.

my duds of the night were schmatz and bracco. im sorry for bracco but hes clearly a 1 dimenional player who isnt fast enough or good enough defensivly to make up for his small size. Schmaltz was just plain bad. He was bobbling that puck all night and making really stupid decisions.

positives. hutchinson clearly had a great night. For the forwards; read, shore, petan and korshkov were great and noticeable, the rest not so much.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pretty hard to find fault with anyone in that game.
I know some will but IMO that's just being overly critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad