GDT: Hurricanes visit Sharks 7:30. Possible return of Sorenson

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
team is looking pretty good through stretches.
kind of sad to see thornton getting worked as hard as he is though.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
True. But he should know that Slavin would try that before it happens and either pull it out of reach on the backhand, or get his skate in the way of the sweeping stick.
That sweep check is a Slavin special. Like it's a high percentage play for Slavin so I'm not too shocked by this play.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Obviously this is all IMO... Nice win. Canes had a lot of shots in the first but it never felt as dangerous as it has in previous games (other than the Flames). EK65 still has to quit f***ing around with the puck in his own zone thinking he's too clever. He finally started to look like he did last season when he would make one move and stride out of the zone quickly and leave the forechecker in the dust. Hertl looked like the guy who dominated his shifts last season. Gamby was excellent again. It's still early but Kane on the top PP is clearly better than many here thought he would be. Love that he's not taking as many penalties. Team is better with him on the ice. Looks like Spott might not be as terrible as the board thinks. PP looked great for the most part and wasn't all about trying to get tips in the slot. That combined with how good PP2 looked last game and it seems like this team has 2 dangerous units to throw out there which will be great when one struggles. And of course Jones looked great once again with an NHL caliber defense in front of him.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Looks like Spott might not be as terrible as the board thinks. PP looked great for the most part and wasn't all about trying to get tips in the slot. That combined with how good PP2 looked last game and it seems like this team has 2 dangerous units to throw out there which will be great when one struggles.

Carolina plays a passive style on the PK that the Sharks PP can just feast on. When teams don't challenge the zone entry, collapse down low, and take away the triangle, the Sharks can do their drop-pass entries and do their carefully crafted tip and slot plays.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
True. But he should know that Slavin would try that before it happens and either pull it out of reach on the backhand, or get his skate in the way of the sweeping stick.

I think that’s a bit of a stretch. Could he have been perfect? Ya, I guess, but it’s not a bad play simply because he wasn’t. He did a good job dodging the poke check. I don’t know how many defenders would have the wherewithal to make the secondary spin.

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
I missed the game last night was up in the mountains shooting trap, sounds like SJ looks like NHL team again?

SpaceCoastShark

Look what the cat dragged in
Apr 8, 2009
Space Coast, FL
The Sharks are really lucky that they're the only California team that didn't put out a horrifying 90s alternate jersey like LA and Anaheim did. I may not always love their obsession with a relatively plain black alt, but at least they're never worse than "It's a little too black, but still decent"
They only released the Black jerseys after we made fun of Fat Patty that one night, years ago. Black is slimming :laugh:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I missed the game last night was up in the mountains shooting trap, sounds like SJ looks like NHL team again?

We counter punched really well. Canes looked like volume shooters. Jones is good when he sees a lot of shots. Canes overcommitted because they were getting a lot of shots which led to us rushing out and them taking pens

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
We counter punched really well. Canes looked like volume shooters. Jones is good when he sees a lot of shots. Canes overcommitted because they were getting a lot of shots which led to us rushing out and them taking pens

Cane go low-to-high a lot to create lanes and hope for a rebound. Jones is pretty solid in those situations. His biggest flaw is right-to-left, up high on blocker.

Jones isn’t a bad goalie, but he is a solvable one. Teams like Vegas, who we play all the time, exploit this. East coast teams don’t really care about us.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
team is looking pretty good through stretches.
kind of sad to see thornton getting worked as hard as he is though.

With the caveat that I haven’t seen very much of the Sharks so far this season, I remember thinking last season at the beginning that Thornton was completely cooked, and then from like December or January on he was awesome. Hopefully that’s what happens again.

Selfishly, I just want Thornton and Marleau playing great together at the same time. It would marginally thaw my cold, cold, heart.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I have to admit it. When the fourth line was on the ice, I wanted the puck on Gambrell’s stick. He was the one making things happen (and honestly the only one with the ability to). I really hope Bergmann starts to beat our Radil here soon.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I have to admit it. When the fourth line was on the ice, I wanted the puck on Gambrell’s stick. He was the one making things happen (and honestly the only one with the ability to). I really hope Bergmann starts to beat our Radil here soon.
Exactly. Radil has zero control over the puck and whenever he gets it you can tell that its gonna be gone in .5 seconds

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I feel like Yurtaikin would complement Gambrell's game pretty well. Sorenson-Gambrell-Yurtaikin could be a fast and skilled 4th line.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Gambrell has really stepped up after a disappointing preseason. Hope he sustains it. Ferraro is becoming a favorite of mine already. Smooth skater with a high IQ at a young age. Exciting player to watch.

Reactions: Phu

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Gambrell has really stepped up after a disappointing preseason. Hope he sustains it. Ferraro is becoming a favorite of mine already. Smooth skater with a high IQ at a young age. Exciting player to watch.
More than just stepping up, he has turned the fourth line from a questionable filler line into a game changing strength. They have had a number of really dominant shifts. In addition, freeing up Goodrow to somehow be a depth scoring winger...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad