Joey Keane
Jamieson Rees
Anttoni Honka
Noel Gunler

for

Adam Fox
Julien Gauthier
Braden Schneider

A lot of "we'll see" on both sides, but I am excited for the Rees/Honka/Gunler trio, at least right now.

With a slight amendment in that Rangers traded a 3rd to move up a few spots in order to take Schneider

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Also, for fun, here's how the Faulk and Skinner deals have turned out:

First, The Faulk Tree:

To St. Louis:

Justin Faulk
2021 5th Round Pick (CAR)

To Montreal:

Joel Edmundson

To Los Angeles:

Ben Meehan (MTL 2020 5th)

To Carolina:

Dominik Bokk
Lucas Mercuri (LAK 2020 6th)
2021 7th Round Pick (LAK)
2021 7th Round Pick (STL)

Second, The Skinner Tree:

To Buffalo:

Jeff Skinner

To Florida:

Markus Nutivaara
Scott Darling's Buyout
Emil Djuse (ran to the KHL)

To Columbus:

Cliff Pu, ahem, I mean cap space

To Dallas:

Evgeni Oksentyuk (BUF 2020 6th)

To Carolina:

James Reimer
Pyotr Kochetkov (BUF 2019 2nd)
Alex Nikishin (BUF 2020 3rd)

Futures are futures, but we'll see how it works out.

Slight amendment in the Faulk trade tree in that I think it’s fair to add that Canes got 1 year of play from Edmundson as well. I know that’s not exactly the thing that’s usually included in a traditional trade tree but it’s an important part of the value coming back to Carolina. Not only did we get all that stuff for Faulk, we got a player who was arguably better than him last year as well.

EDIT: Should also include that Canes retained $1 mil x 1 year on Faulk. Nitpicking I know...

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Yeah that’s getting retired. No sense in getting pissy about retiring the franchises all time leading scorers number. Unless Aho stays here forever that’s gonna stand.
Oh i certainly wouldn't be pissy if they retired it. I'm just not going to pound the table saying it needs retired. If they do, cool. If they don't, cool

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Find you someone who talks about you the way @TheRillestPaulFenton talks about the Borg

I'm an optimist but god damn. You could be a political campaign manager the way you make everything sound like the best thing ever.

I joke, I've enjoyed your presence on the board, as mostly a lurker.

I generally put a caveat of "if everything goes right." Not everything does. In fact, most of the time it doesn't, from a percentage perspective. Players stall in development all the time. Most players that you draft are likely not going to make the NHL, let alone play for the Hurricanes. I do, however, love the idea of generating as many penny stocks as you can, with the strategy that one or two of them could pan out in a 3-year draft span.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
I generally put a caveat of "if everything goes right." Not everything does. In fact, most of the time it doesn't, from a percentage perspective. Players stall in development all the time. Most players that you draft are likely not going to make the NHL, let alone play for the Hurricanes. I do, however, love the idea of generating as many penny stocks as you can, with the strategy that one or two of them could pan out in a 3-year draft span.

I agree. I think our approach since RF left of going all out on skill is probably the right one in this age. If only a few of these longshots pan out over 2-4 years you end up with a few top 6 / top 4 type talents instead of 4th line floor / 3rd line ceiling types.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Seeing that Fast interview, it really sucks that we couldn’t get it done, or that we decided to give that spot to an unproven RW prospect.

Reactions: HisIceness

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

A LOT of teams taking this approach this offseason, for good reason

Funny thing... Their qualifying offers won't be abysmal, yet. In the MOU of this summer, they took away the option to game your QO high by backloading the contract on the final season under it.

Looks like a well thought out idea, now that you mentioned this thing.

Fast's QO would be $2.4M, but obviously he's UFA and won't get one (28 now).

CBA MOU #68 said:
For SPCs signed after the date of this agreement, if the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of a Player’s Qualifying Offer would otherwise be greater than 120% of the Averaged Amount of the SPC, the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of the Qualifying Offer will instead be 120% of the Averaged Amount.

For example, if a Player has a 3 year SPC with Paragraph 1 NHL Salaries of $3.0 million in Year 1, $6.0 million in Year 2, and $9.0 million in Year 3, the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of the Qualifying Offer will be $7.2 million. If, however, such Player’s 3 year SPC had Paragraph 1 NHL Salaries of $5.0 million in Year 1, $6.0 million in Year 2, and $7.0 million in Year 3, the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of the Qualifying Offer will be $7.0 million.

Reactions: DaveG

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
I wonder if Fast plays with Svech and Trochek on the 2nd line similar to how he was deployed last season with Strome and bread man on the Rangers. It was a very good line for them.

assuming the above, the lines go something like this:

TT Aho Nino
Svech Trochek Fast
Dzingel Geekie Necas
Foegele Staal Martinook
extra Mcginn

Nino moves to RW where he is more effective and Geekie line is offense first 3A line. Need to let Dzingel play like he played in Ottawa. Staal line is 3B. no traditional 4th line as Staal line probably averages 15 minutes a night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad