Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes sign Jesper Fast - 2m per/3 years

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Great teammate and locker room guy. Rangers never recovered mentally when Skjei knocked him out in Game 1.

Good signing by us and I think the Rangers will regret letting him walk, especially within the division.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
On the other hand, the risk of playing a shortened season would mean paying a fraction of this year’s salary, no?

If players end up getting paid half their salary this year, you’d rather “not pay” $1.5m than $.5m.

Seems like it’d primarily be cash flow that prevents you from going 3-2-1 (since it’s $6m total at the end of the day anyway), and with Dundon it doesn’t seem like that’s an issue for us anymore.

Far be it from me to understand the CBA and how any of this works though, I might be mistaken.
But a player looks at it the same way and likely wouldn’t sign a deal like that, knowing he might lose out on a big chunk in year one.

a contract like this protects the team short term if there are cash flow concerns and protects the player on the overall cash of the deal. Seems like a good compromise.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
But a player looks at it the same way and likely wouldn’t sign a deal like that, knowing he might lose out on a big chunk in year one.

a contract like this protects the team short term if there are cash flow concerns and protects the player on the overall cash of the deal. Seems like a good compromise.

Good point!

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Good luck to Jesper. You guys will really like him. As said above, reminds me of Hagelin in that he does so many things right that you're never going to see in a score sheet. Super dependable, I can count on one hand the number of times I saw him make a bad play. He's always gonna be where he should be, doing what he's supposed to be doing. Teammates loved the guy. A little bit of a headscratcher why they didn't bring him back at this price. Best wishes to him.

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Alright, now let's unsuck Nino and offense might actually be good.
I like this idea.

Svech-Aho-Teravainen
Nino-Trocheck-Necas
Foegele-Staal-Fast
McGinn-Martinook-Geekie/Lorentz/DaveG/whoever

If Nino can get back to his 20/20 form, I really like this lineup. Defense should be fine, and if Mrazek can embody the spirit of vengeance, we'll be in good shape next season. Whenever it starts.

Really like this signing. Is he a PKer?
He is. He averaged 2:00 of shorthanded time per game over the last three seasons with the Rangers.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Likely a good fit and replacement for third line duty with Staal, where it’s fine if he doesn’t put up much offense. I’m sure he’ll fill in higher up in the top six at times. Faster than Williams with less of a snipe.

Great contract, right amount of term and if for some reason it doesn’t work it’s likely not too hard to move. That’s pretty cheap for a top nine vet.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wouldn’t it be super low salary in year 1 because the escrow is going to be insanely high percentage due to lower revenue in year 1? so the player will lose less money overall if their salary is lower this upcoming season than in following seasons that will have fans in the stands and higher revenues.

cap may be 81m, but actual revenues will be nowhere near the level needed to translate into a real 81m cap and players keeping their actual salaries... if escrow is 50%, he loses $500k in year 1 based $1m actual salary versus $1.5m if year 1 is 3m actual salary in a 3-2-1 deal structure.. I imagine most of the new contracts being signed are structured this way

looks like a good deal for us and a good piece to add... ideally not great it is 3 years but likely the price to pay to get the AAV at 2m overall...
Exactly, there's no reason for the player to want this to be high salary this year and lower in the next two either. With Covid so much of the league income is going to be based on the TV contract since fan attendance will be at best 25%.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Skjei should take his "new" teammate out for a nice meal at Bojangles as an apology for that hit. Also so Fast discovers the true delicacy known as Bojangles Chicken and Biscuits, and Fixns.

Like the signing, term is good for the player. Fast is a good finisher and can also be a decent playmaker, he should fit in fine w/ this group. Fast was also an alternate captain w/ the Rangers so he brings some leadership to a group that just lost "dad" aka Willy. Where he will fit on a line is yet to be determined but I feel like he can slot anywhere, and with this team that's huge.

Looking forward to seeing him in a Canes sweater.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Skjei should take his "new" teammate out for a nice meal at Bojangles as an apology for that hit. Also so Fast discovers the true delicacy known as Bojangles Chicken and Biscuits, and Fixns.

Like the signing, term is good for the player. Fast is a good finisher and can also be a decent playmaker, he should fit in fine w/ this group. Fast was also an alternate captain w/ the Rangers so he brings some leadership to a group that just lost "dad" aka Willy. Where he will fit on a line is yet to be determined but I feel like he can slot anywhere, and with this team that's huge.

Looking forward to seeing him in a Canes sweater.
I dunno, he could eat too much Bo's and have to change his name from Fast to Fats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad