Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes sign Jesper Fast - 2m per/3 years

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wonder if Fast plays with Svech and Trochek on the 2nd line similar to how he was deployed last season with Strome and bread man on the Rangers. It was a very good line for them.

assuming the above, the lines go something like this:

TT Aho Nino
Svech Trochek Fast
Dzingel Geekie Necas
Foegele Staal Martinook
extra Mcginn

Nino moves to RW where he is more effective and Geekie line is offense first 3A line. Need to let Dzingel play like he played in Ottawa. Staal line is 3B. no traditional 4th line as Staal line probably averages 15 minutes a night.

I think that 3rd line would get eaten alive defensively.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Chances of Zinger playing while McGinn is a healthy scratch...
dontcount.jpg

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don’t mind the idea of Fast in the top 6, but I’d think he may fit in better with Aho and Teravainen. He could be the guy to dig the puck out along the boards, add some grit, etc. That way, you hopefully force some chemistry with Svechnikov and Trocheck to form more than just 1 line that can score.

However, the thought of Foegele-Staal-Fast is also pretty interesting and probably where Fast will end up. He is destined for some top 6 time though. I think he’ll instantly be RBA’s favorite forward.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Don’t like those lines at all. Assuming no major roster changes...

Nino - Aho - TT
Svech - Tro - Necas
Foegele - Staal - Fast
McGinn - Geekie - Martinook
Dzingel

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Gardiner - Fleury
Bean

Mrazek
Reimer

Would ultimately like to see Dzingel and Gardiner moved out for cap flexibility but we’ll have to see what the landscape is for moving money and players is going forward.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Nino - Aho - TT
Svech - Tro - Necas
Foegele - Staal - Fast
McGinn - Geekie - Martinook
Dzingel

Slavin - Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Gardiner - Fleury
Bean

Mrazek
Reimer

Would ultimately like to see Dzingel and Gardiner moved out for cap flexibility but we’ll have to see what the landscape is for moving money and players is going forward.
Yeah, with RBA advocating for keeping the team as it was for the bubble, I can't imagine he is now ready to start wholesale line changes. I think we see Svech and Nino bouncing between those top two LW spots on a game by game or shift by shift basis to dictate matchups, but this seems like the most probable lineup to me, barring any unforeseen moves.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Dzingel or McGinn will be our only chance, I believe. If Lebrun's article from this morning is to be a look into next offseason, we might see a tighter grip on money available for players. Owners might lose more money next season if we have a good chunk of games at a fraction of fan attendance.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Likin' the lineups y'all post. I'm thinking "damn - we have some real forward depth - how are our 2nd/3rd lines so good?" Then I see Nino is on the first. :laugh:

IF Nino can have a decent year, and be top 6, and that's a BIG IF, we look pretty good at forward. More likely I think he gets around 15G + 28A. Even this is half decent, but it's not 1st line territory, really. I'd be happy if we can jettison one of Gardiner/Nino/Dzingel, but I don't think that's happening unless we take on an equal contract. In that case, I will likely have more hope in our guy recovering than the guy we get in return. Dzingel had 23G and 26G in his past two years (before 19-20). Nino tore it up when we last had him, and fairly reliably scores at least 35 points. And Gardiner really did look solid for us, 2nd pairing quality, in the last 20 games of the year.

I like the Fast addition. It gives us another option. Do we have a rookie forward making the team this year? In my mind it looks like just Geekie. I think we're best to let Jarvis, Suzuki, Bokk, (and Drury, Cotton, etc.) wait at least one more year, maybe several.

Defense? Different story. Bean is as ready as he'll ever be. Sellgren and Kaski should be given a shot. Kaski is putting up a mountain of points in the KHL: 18 games, 5G + 6A? More than I expected. I'm not saying they're NHL ready, but they should at least get a long look in camp. I hope we go into camp with spots #6 and #7 open for grabs. (I fully expect Joakim Ryan to compete to, but I hope he loses because a younger player is better).

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Unless we make any other changes, I think Nino and Trocheck (hasn't returned to pre-injury form) rebounding are going to be the two biggest items the Canes need to take another step next year.

That's why I like Nino on line 1 with Aho - TT and Svech on line 2 with Tro - Necas.

If you put Svech on line 1, yes that's absolutely baller and is up there as one of the top 5 lines in the league I would imagine but then the 2nd line is a question mark at times. If Nino is a bit off but Aho - TT are on, I can live with that. Same with if Tro or Necas are off but Svech is on there's at least some balance there and each line then has some top end talent that the other guys can hopefully play up to.

You put Nino - Tro - Necas on a line I could see them all going into mini slumps because they just simply aren't as good or consistent as Aho, TT, and Svech are as players. So would you prefer to have a rocket ship for a first line and a 2nd line that might not perform well throughout the year, or a still very good first line and a pretty damn solid 2nd line, then go into your 3rd and 4th lines which have their own roles. I prefer the balanced approach but Boston has done a lot of damage overloading their 1st line and letting everyone else fend for themselves.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's why I like Nino on line 1 with Aho - TT and Svech on line 2 with Tro - Necas.

If you put Svech on line 1, yes that's absolutely baller and is up there as one of the top 5 lines in the league I would imagine but then the 2nd line is a question mark at times. If Nino is a bit off but Aho - TT are on, I can live with that. Same with if Tro or Necas are off but Svech is on there's at least some balance there and each line then has some top end talent that the other guys can hopefully play up to.

You put Nino - Tro - Necas on a line I could see them all going into mini slumps because they just simply aren't as good or consistent as Aho, TT, and Svech are as players. So would you prefer to have a rocket ship for a first line and a 2nd line that might not perform well throughout the year, or a still very good first line and a pretty damn solid 2nd line, then go into your 3rd and 4th lines which have their own roles. I prefer the balanced approach but Boston has done a lot of damage overloading their 1st line and letting everyone else fend for themselves.

yeah, I get that approach and don't disagree with it, but as we've seen year in and year out, lines don't stay the same so I'm less worried about line combinations right now. It makes sense to start though to get a guy (like Nino or Tro) going to start with. When the team hits a rough patch, or there is an injury, or a guy gets into a slump, we'll see lines change. Having Tro and Nino both playing well allows us to weather that much better.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Why do we seem so hesitant to just let the SAT line rock and roll for the foreseeable future? I think those 3 on a line together right now give us the best shot to win. It's similar to Boston and their top line in the past several years. That line alone wins them games. Yes, their secondary scoring has been a weakness, just like ours, but it has not worked for Boston at all when they move one of Patrnak or Marchand down. I don't think it'll work for us either, even if it is a Trocheck/Svech/Necas 2nd line. I think Svech and the Finns have great chemistry already that will only continue to increase and they have a ceiling as high as or higher than Boston's top line. Keep those 3 together and then figure out the rest, in my opinion.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Unless we make any other changes, I think Nino and Trocheck (hasn't returned to pre-injury form) rebounding are going to be the two biggest items the Canes need to take another step next year.

You can replace Trocheck with Necas and possibly Niederreiter with Foegele and the statement would be valid. There are some different pathways for the team to get better internally, which is nice.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
yeah, I get that approach and don't disagree with it, but as we've seen year in and year out, lines don't stay the same so I'm less worried about line combinations right now. It makes sense to start though to get a guy (like Nino or Tro) going to start with. When the team hits a rough patch, or there is an injury, or a guy gets into a slump, we'll see lines change. Having Tro and Nino both playing well allows us to weather that much better.

Of course, things will inevitably get shuffled around as needed throughout the year. Just meant these line combos as a starting point and really a best case scenario if everything clicks.

Why do we seem so hesitant to just let the SAT line rock and roll for the foreseeable future? I think those 3 on a line together right now give us the best shot to win. It's similar to Boston and their top line in the past several years. That line alone wins them games. Yes, their secondary scoring has been a weakness, just like ours, but it has not worked for Boston at all when they move one of Patrnak or Marchand down. I don't think it'll work for us either, even if it is a Trocheck/Svech/Necas 2nd line. I think Svech and the Finns have great chemistry already that will only continue to increase and they have a ceiling as high as or higher than Boston's top line. Keep those 3 together and then figure out the rest, in my opinion.

Because then you're going into a gun fight with only 1 bullet. It's a great bullet but you better not miss. If for whatever reason Svech - Aho - TT lays a goose egg then you're relying on a lot of other players to step up and fill some pretty big shoes. And while there is depth and talent on the roster, pretty clearly Aho and Svech are your are your game breaking forwards with TT right there or slightly behind. Guys like Necas, Tro, Nino have the ability to do it but not consistently and we really don't know what makes them tick to put them in the best position to succeed or come up big when the team is down.

Maybe it will evolve this year and all those guys take a step forward and gel together so we can overload our first line but I don't love the idea of starting off that way.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You can replace Trocheck with Necas and possibly Niederreiter with Foegele and the statement would be valid. There are some different pathways for the team to get better internally, which is nice.

It's a different situation with those guys though, but in principle, I agree. We'd want Foegele and Necas to take a step forward in their development vs. getting back to where they once were as is the case with Nino/Trochek.

You are right though, either path works.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't sweat lines much either, because they do change for slumps and injuries and such. But I prefer stacking the top line as often as possible. Especially in the regular season, that's enough to win you games even if the other lines aren't going. If the other lines work out, and there are plenty of good remaining pieces there, you can get big streaks going. And if you need to break the stacked top line up occasionally, that's no big deal either.

Reactions: MinJaBen

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
no objections to the SAT line. It destroyed the Rangers in the play-in round. Personally, I think Fast or Necas are the keys to having a strong second line. If Necas can click with Trochek and Nino then you have 3 guys capable of 40 points. That's acceptable. Fast and Foegele providing strong forechecking makes for a strong 3rd line, albeit with limited finishing skills.

regardless of line combos, let's hope coaching staff recognized how Boston gave us fits n the playoffs by taking away the stretch pass and attacking our d-men in the zone. slavin couldn't skate by anyone (hurt?) and offense reverted back to dump and chase style.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
no objections to the SAT line. It destroyed the Rangers in the play-in round. Personally, I think Fast or Necas are the keys to having a strong second line. If Necas can click with Trochek and Nino then you have 3 guys capable of 40 points. That's acceptable. Fast and Foegele providing strong forechecking makes for a strong 3rd line, albeit with limited finishing skills.

regardless of line combos, let's hope coaching staff recognized how Boston gave us fits n the playoffs by taking away the stretch pass and attacking our d-men in the zone. slavin couldn't skate by anyone (hurt?) and offense reverted back to dump and chase style.

SAT line destroyed the Rangers... but that's a team that doesn't even know where the defensive zone is. Like they have some reasonably capable forwards who are able to play a two way game but their actual defending is atrocious. For as much smoke as they blew about Prince Igor being the lovechild of Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek, they weren't wrong about his ability to handle the puck and get it out of their zone. Their D is so bad that they need that extra help in moving the puck out and not getting hemmed in bc once that happens... well I'd just refer people to Slavin's first goal to start the series and Aho's final goal to end it.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Because then you're going into a gun fight with only 1 bullet. It's a great bullet but you better not miss. If for whatever reason Svech - Aho - TT lays a goose egg then you're relying on a lot of other players to step up and fill some pretty big shoes. And while there is depth and talent on the roster, pretty clearly Aho and Svech are your are your game breaking forwards with TT right there or slightly behind. Guys like Necas, Tro, Nino have the ability to do it but not consistently and we really don't know what makes them tick to put them in the best position to succeed or come up big when the team is down.

Maybe it will evolve this year and all those guys take a step forward and gel together so we can overload our first line but I don't the idea of starting off that way.

Ok, but what if we put Nino on the top line and he sucks some of the production from Aho/TT down the drain? And Tro/Necas don't show great chemistry with Svech and suck some of his production down the drain? SAT has already proven to be a dominant top line that has great chemistry. Why split them up and make each of those 3 less effective on their respective lines after they've been split up? That would be relying a lot on guys like Nino/Tro/Necas to elevate their game enough to make up for not having that dominant top line. And if they are able to elevate their game anyways then put them together and hope they can build some chemistry and you've got a great 2nd line too. I'm fine with moving Svech down if Nino could step in on the top line and have that line not really lose a step, like he played in late 2018-19. But I wouldn't count on that, and find it pretty unlikely Nino gets back to that level. If he can, fantastic. I just don't see it happening.

As for Fast, I'm sure he'll play in the top 6 a bit with injuries or line shakeups at times, but I think his best spot is definitely where Willy was on the 3rd line with Staal and McLovin/McGinn or even Dzingel at times. I don't think Fast would be a great fit as a regular in our top 6 like he was with Panarin in NY.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
It's a different situation with those guys though, but in principle, I agree. We'd want Foegele and Necas to take a step forward in their development vs. getting back to where they once were as is the case with Nino/Trochek.

You are right though, either path works.

Yep. If Necas can get up to being a 60 point forward with a similar jump to Aho/Svech and Foegele can get up to 20 goals and 40-50 points I think we'll be in pretty solid shape this year. And I think both of those things happening are very real possibilities. I have no doubt Necas will get there sooner or later. It may take another season before he's there but that next level is coming for him. We'll see about Foegele. A bit more puck luck and some work on his finishing with no decline in hustle and I think he could get to that 40-50 point level. But he could also stay what he has been his whole career and bounce around the league as a 3rd line grinder who can chip in a bit of offense but not enough to be a mainstay in the top 6. Hopefully the former, but either way I've really liked him here and think he adds an element to this team being a pest that is important (within the rules, unlike Wilson, Marchand, etc.) right now and we don't really have anyone else who can play that role.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ok, but what if we put Nino on the top line and he sucks some of the production from Aho/TT down the drain? And Tro/Necas don't show great chemistry with Svech and suck some of his production down the drain? SAT has already proven to be a dominant top line that has great chemistry. Why split them up and make each of those 3 less effective on their respective lines after they've been split up? That would be relying a lot on guys like Nino/Tro/Necas to elevate their game enough to make up for not having that dominant top line. And if they are able to elevate their game anyways then put them together and hope they can build some chemistry and you've got a great 2nd line too. I'm fine with moving Svech down if Nino could step in on the top line and have that line not really lose a step, like he played in late 2018-19. But I wouldn't count on that, and find it pretty unlikely Nino gets back to that level. If he can, fantastic. I just don't see it happening.

As for Fast, I'm sure he'll play in the top 6 a bit with injuries or line shakeups at times, but I think his best spot is definitely where Willy was on the 3rd line with Staal and McLovin/McGinn or even Dzingel at times. I don't think Fast would be a great fit as a regular in our top 6 like he was with Panarin in NY.

Well, yes, of course that could happen and maybe the Canes set a record for fewest goals scored in a year. You're kind of taking a best case scenario or a worst case scenario approach with nothing in between, which imo, is probably the most likely to actually happen.

My feeling has always been that Aho - TT is gold and they play just incredibly well together. I don't think they should need a player of Svechnikov's caliber to be elite. Do they need someone better than Nino? Maybe, but I do think 'Good Nino' is absolutely an appropriate linemate for them. Now whether or not we see 'Good Nino' this year is TBD.

I also feel like Svech is a line driver who makes things happen and Aho and TT are already doing that. I think Necas can be a guy like that eventually but he's not there yet and I think Trocheck has some of those abilities too but not at the same level and as a two way center he's dealing with a bit more stuff as well. I think that eventhough Svech is young, he's showed a lot of maturity in his game this past year and obviously with the big step that he took, Necas could learn a ton from being on a line with him. They're both big bodies who can skate and control the play. Maybe Necas can absorb that just by watching Svech while on the bench and in practice, I don't know.

My preference would be to have two dangerous scoring lines with Aho, TT, and Svech maybe scoring 10 points less than their top tier potential but the other guys (Tro, Nino, Necas) playing near the top of their limits and having everyone produce with a more even and balanced attack. But, I guess if I have to choose SAT line being full blown beast mode and everyone else being whatever vs. Nobody playing well then I'll take your scenario I just think there's a lot of middle ground in there too.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My expectations for Necas are a little more subdued than maybe others. I think the kid has a ton of talent and his speed and ability to make plays at speed is enticing, but he is still pretty raw.

Svech last year, and Aho a few years ago showed a lot of progression in their overall game as the season went on. The two of them taking such a drastic step up their 2nd year, while not a given, were not a surprise either. Aho went scoreless forever his first season and started down the line-up before working his way up as the season progressed. Svech spent most of his time with Martinook and Wallmark as a rookie, but by the time playoffs rolled around, his overall game was drastically improved and his underlying numbers were great.

I did see improvement in Necas's overall game, but until/unless his 2 way game and strength improves more, I question whether Rod will him the same opportunities that guys like Svech and Aho got in season 2. That said, his 82G average was 20 goals / 46 points, which is nothing to sneeze at. He should be much more comfortable in the NHL and with Rod's coaching in year 2, so it won't take much improvement to add on another 5-10 points.

Foegele was on pace (82game) for 16G, 36P, but he shot a decent 10.1% SH% and was 6th among Carolina forwards for ES TOI. Without any PP time, which he likely won't get, getting much higher than that is probably going to be difficult, unless he moves up in the line-up, which could happen if Nino or Necas struggle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad