Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes offer sheet for Kotkaniemi (1 year, 6.1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
What the hell is this obsession with Dvrorak? The guy is worse than KK and you want to give more to get him?
Yes, KK has a better potential, but Dvorak is a complete 2-way Centre, plays on the PK, can get 20+ goals in a full season ad is very solid at the face-off circle. I don't get the "give more to get him", give more what?

Reactions: Belial

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
We have to match and give KK every opportunity to be worth $6MM plus going forward which isn’t big money if he’s a legit Top 6 C

Letting him go for magic beans would be dumb, either he’s a top 6 or he’s not and you let him walk to UFA next year
Let him go, I like magic beans

KK is still a big work in progress, he might hit but the odds are he's going to be a really good 3rd liner that could play on the 2nd line do to injuries...

When you see guys first come into the league like Suzuki and Caulfield. And play only a handful of games you see they got something and can use it, well after many games KK has something but has not shown he can use it in the NHL

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Are you serious? You think 6.1M is to KK is a good hockey decision? You let him walk at that price and if you think KK will sign a more friendly deal next season when his qualifying offer is at 6.1M, think again. If KK sign for less next season it will be because he had a bad season which wouldn't be a great thing for either MTL or Carolinaé There's no way you match this if you're Bergevin. You take the picks and you do something with them. If you think an unprotected first from a team with Andersen and Raanta in net is worth nothing in a really deep draft and that KK is worth paying 3x his worth you must be smoking something strong. This was a move done by the Hurricanes to piss off Montreal but it wasn't a 3D chess move made by Waddell, far from it. KK isn't Aho, he isn't Pettersson or Suzuki. There's major risk in what he did and if I'm Bergevin, I take the picks and make something out of them. Either trading them right away or watch Hurricanes play this season and maybe cash in in next year draft in Montreal !

If I'm Bergevin I resign.
This guys had 10+ cap space for 3 years and nevr made anything with it
He had tons of pick for the last 3 years and never got us an upgrade with them.

There's a lot of wishful thinking in your post but that's not what we want at this point. It's guaranteed.
So if he takes the pick, I want to see a replacement for KK for game 1 of this year, not any later.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Curious, can Montreal as this point offer KK something more reasonable that he may prefer to the 6Mx1 year? Like could Montreal still off 5Mx3 years for example?

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
Ultimately when I look at it from every angle, you have to steer clear of the path which has the worst possible outcome,

The worst possible outcome is that you don't match.. KK hits his potential and all you have to show for it are two measly draft picks at the end of their respective rounds.

The way I see it.

Matching the OS.
Best possible outcome: KK hits or shows progress toward his ultimate upside and you can comfortable make a long term deal with him.
Worst possible outcome: You don't tender him at his QO next season and try to sign him back, if he goes elsewhere. All you are out in aggregate is a late 1st and early 3rd.

Not matching the OS.
Best possible outcome: Carolina somehow misses the play-offs (most unlikely) and you have another first in the lottery.. and KK shows no real progression in his game, whereby Carolina walks away from him.
Worst possible outcome: KK hits his progression, Carolina is now deep down the middle and can be a legitimate contender for years behind Aho and KK, while we are picking a player of Poehling's caliber and back to missing a top 6 center with size again, like we have for the previous 20 years before we selected him.

Matching the OS is the best option of a bunch of not great options because MB sucks.

It's all good but what about the outcome of acquiring the picks and trading them for a more qualified center ? The roster isn't set in stone if we lose KK. You can make something happens with those picks + all the other assets Montreal have. There's a real possibility here to make the team better than it was with KK.

Reactions: dralaf and willzyix

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
Let him go, I like magic beans

KK is still a big work in progress, he might hit but the odds are he's going to be a really good 3rd liner that could play on the 2nd line do to injuries...

When you see guys first come into the league like Suzuki and Caulfield. And play only a handful of games you see they got something and can use it, well after many games KK has something but has not shown he can use it in the NHL

Exactly what I have been saying for long time. Progress, and specially the offensive part of his game is luckluster.

Reactions: willzyix

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It's all good but what about the outcome of acquiring the picks and trading them for a more qualified center ? The roster isn't set in stone if we lose KK. You can make something happens with those picks + all the other assets Montreal have. There's a real possibility here to make the team better than it was with KK.

It's gonna be a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. No way you get a quality center for that unless it's a rental or the other team is 100% sure the canes will finish bottom 10.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I really don’t think so. If we don’t match and KK does what he’s most likely to do (30-40 points) they’ll have given up two picks, money under the cap for a mediocre centre they won’t resign.

if he plays decently well they’re forced to pay him the same salary to keep him, and if he explodes in one year then they’re not even locking up years.

its a stupid offer IMO.
No its not. The Canes exposed MB's stupidity which has been evident since the first day he got here. By taking the picks, it means you f**ked up yet another first round pick( top 3 pick in this case), proving that you have the worst scouting staff in the league, and more importantly, leaving our top 4 down the middle literally beyond putrid.

"So what, you can use the picks to make a trade" you say, but do you think teams wont smell Bozovin's desperation from a mile away and automatically double their asking price?

How the hell has this clown lasted this long is beyond me...

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
There is no upside to keep a 6.1 millions Kotkaniemi unless he becames a 60 + points player right away next year wich seems highly unlikely. What Suzuki will ask and get if we keep kotkaniemi 9 or 10 millions ?

Trade for Eichel or Miller with the picks or sign Bozak and keep the picks and keep re-tooling.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
No its not. The Canes exposed MB's stupidity which has been evident since the first day he got here. By taking the picks, it means you f**ked up yet another first round pick( top 3 pick in this case), proving that you have the worst scouting staff in the league, and more importantly, leaving our top 4 down the middle literally beyond putrid.

"So what, you can use the picks to make a trade" you say, but do you think teams wont smell Bozovin's desperation from a mile away and automatically double their asking price?

How the hell has this clown lasted this long is beyond me...
A good offer isn’t an offer that exposes someone’s stupidity, it’s one that makes your team better and the other team worse.

KK at 6 million doesn’t make their team better, and Montreal centre depth was already bad with KK.

Reactions: dralaf

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
WTF people defending JK.

I can understand signing for 6.1. That’s not the problem.

The problem is he decided to play along with the $20 signing bonus and make a joke of the team that drafted him 3rd overall and that is STILL his team unless they don’t match.

I can understand the business stuff but the loss of respect is a big red flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad