Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes offer sheet for Kotkaniemi (1 year, 6.1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
What will happen for sure in the next 24 hrs is leaks in the MTL newspapers of what KK was asking the habs for in terms of money.

If it is something like 4 million per year it might show us that KK is full of himself. If it id the case, good riddance, but I will wait for what bergy will leak to his buddies

Reactions: dinodebino

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
If I'm Bergevin I resign.
This guys had 10+ cap space for 3 years and nevr made anything with it
He had tons of pick for the last 3 years and never got us an upgrade with them.

There's a lot of wishful thinking in your post but that's not what we want at this point. It's guaranteed.
So if he takes the pick, I want to see a replacement for KK for game 1 of this year, not any later.

Of course making the finals this year we are in the "now" more than ever but look at the Habs on capfriendly and their picks available and prospects and tell me there's not enough to acquire that second line center. Dvorak is available apparently. Kuznetsov is too (wouldn't be my first move tho). Robert Thomas still hasn't sign with St-Louis. I'm sure Colorado wouldn't mind parting with Kadri. Monahan playing behind Suzuki wouldn't be bad too. It might be some wishful thinking like you said but I truly believe this offersheet might be a blessing in disguise for MTL.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's all good but what about the outcome of acquiring the picks and trading them for a more qualified center ? The roster isn't set in stone if we lose KK. You can make something happens with those picks + all the other assets Montreal have. There's a real possibility here to make the team better than it was with KK.

If the picks could be used to get a more qualified center, the Hurricanes would currently have said center.

Reactions: Andy

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
WTF people defending JK.

I can understand signing for 6.1. That’s not the problem.

The problem is he decided to play along with the $20 signing bonus and make a joke of the team that drafted him 3rd overall and that is STILL his team unless they don’t match.

I can understand the business stuff but the loss of respect is a big red flag.
I agree, very disappointed in him.

Reactions: viceroy

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
It's gonna be a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. No way you get a quality center for that unless it's a rental or the other team is 100% sure the canes will finish bottom 10.

I agree but if you get the 1st and a third from Carolina... if you only have to add that second round pick to acquire Dvorak. You do it. Before the offersheet I was thinking that acquiring him would be hard since because the draft is in MTL next year and it's being really deep that might be a risky move to trade your first but now? You have an extra one. Go for it !

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
WTF people defending JK.

The problem is he decided to play along with the $20 signing bonus and make a joke of the team that drafted him 3rd overall and that is STILL his team unless they don’t match.

Maybe he didn't get an option and Carolina went with take it or leave it?

Reactions: zeeto

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
A good offer isn’t an offer that exposes someone’s stupidity, it’s one that makes your team better and the other team worse.

KK at 6 million doesn’t make their team better, and Montreal centre depth was already bad with KK.
Take out KK and we have Suzuki, no offense Poehling, and barely NHl material Cedric F**ckin Paquette and injury prone Evans. Yes, we are worse FFS.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
WTF people defending JK.

Red flag? The flag that goes off in my head is stay away from mtl. Seems like a f*** you from Carolina than KK.

Reactions: zeeto

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
He didn't deserve that IMO, He deserved 2.5M max due to his potential and stuff.

6.1 is just ridiculous...

He is a 3rd overall pick......they always demand more.When you pick in the top 3 these guys get paid .

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The Habs management are pretty silent right now and I'm surprised.
Last time the Canes got out on the spot and say they would match and laughed at Bergevin.

Bergevin is probably going nuts right now.

What a shitty situation.
You're feeling great, aren't you?

Reactions: viceroy

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
It’s a great move. He makes six mil and then goes UFA. Of course he’s going to do it.
He makes 6 million and has a bad year teams aren’t going to be lining up to sign him. Taking a 3 mil per 3 year deal nets you 9 instead of six and gives you time to develop your career.
He’s sacrificing potential long term earnings for a quick payday. If he’s confident in his skills good for him but it can backfire for his career if he bombs.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
The Habs management are pretty silent right now and I'm surprised.
Last time the Canes got out on the spot and say they would match and laughed at Bergevin.

Bergevin is probably going nuts right now.

What a shitty situation.
Why would Bergevin be mad? He handled Kk like absolute garbage for 3 years and was scratched over f***ing Erik Staal.

Carolina just proving my point that Bergevin is 1 of the worst gm and heavily overrated and that he doesn't know how to build a team.

Let alone draft

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They have to match.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Dundon & Wadell have painted the habs in a far worse corner than we did with then with that stupid offer sheet last year...

Match... and we're on the hook for JKO at a very expensive RFA QO... and suzuki/Romanov/Caufield agents can hold us ransom over their respective rfa deals.

Walk away, and it's all but assured we get lesser quality asset for the future (+ salt in the wounds if JKO reaches even 1/2 of his potential)... plus our C depth this year takes a massive hit with little room, and less assets, to work with in trying to replace him.

Cluster F*ck of epic proportion. The kind which should cost a gm his job, but mb likely couldn't care less bc he's ready to walk anyways.

We are paying the price for Molson hitching our wagon to an inept GM.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So after KK fails to live up to 6.1M contract, he becomes RFA at that point and Carolina can renegotiate his contract long term at a more reasonable amount no?

This seems like the play from Carolina's side, they can afford the overpay for 1 Year knowing he isn't worth it. Then can renegotiate to a sane amount and still get their 2C locked up.

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
He will be let go just on principle.

Taking into account all the other forwards and their respective cap hits, MB won’t accept to have KK as one of the highest paid players behind Gallagher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad