Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes offer sheet for Kotkaniemi (1 year, 6.1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It's pretty clear jk has no real loyalty to Montreal, when you look at his treatment in the playoffs and signing this offersheet, he would 100% reject anything under his q.o. and head to ufa if Montreal matched.

He may very well sign a team friendly deal in Carolina however if he wants to stay.

Do they even have a spot for him?

"loyalty" are you serious?

I get "loyalty" when ita like a 5% difference, or similar contract.

but this contract might be more than what he'll make the rest of his career if he shits the bed.

And if he doesn't, he just secured a QO of at least 6.1M...

The biggest winner in all this is Kotkaniemi

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
why not? Is he banned from the nhl if no team signs him to that offer? Can Carolina not renegotiate his fair value? Can they structure a deal that pays him 6 million and then 2 million for 3 more years? Curious of all the ins and outs but I doubt the plan is to have him resigned at 6 unless he earns it.
I mean if they don't offer him more than 6M$ then he's free to sing with any team in the league.

Carolina can still sign him but he's open for all the teams that's the point.

Reactions: viceroy

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The decision is really harder to make than it seem to be honest.

KK is not worth that salary right now clearly but losing him for some late first-rounder and a third...

The real decision here is probably made by Timmins, if he thinks KK will eventually evolve into a first/second-line center they'll probably take the bite.
He probably wants out and they might want to part ways as well, we shall see I guess. It would really sting to see him break out but the pressure of getting 6.1 in Montreal next year will be overwhelming. I would let him walk but the screwup here falls completely on MB.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We have to match and give KK every opportunity to be worth $6MM plus going forward which isn’t big money if he’s a legit Top 6 C

Letting him go for magic beans would be dumb, either he’s a top 6 or he’s not and you let him walk to UFA next year

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
This tells a lot about KK and screams disloyal employee that no company will no longer keep. KK could of had a good argument here if he had a +50 point season but this is not the case. BargainBin doesn't like these type of players. I see a few scenarios:

1) MB matches and then trades the player to a bad franchise like Arizona for another basketcase.

2) He screws with the Canes and lets them have KK. The Canes forfeit 2 picks.

Regardless the decision, KK has played his last game in Montreal. Looking back, Tkachuk would have been an excellent pick right now.
What does this say about him? He's literally being offered 3 times the amount of money he's currently making. You expect him to turn that down for the sake of the team? Idk what job your in but if your jobs competitor came up to you in private & said I'll 3x your salary right now your telling me you would say no? Be honest with yourself. This is a career not a game. Put yourself in his shoes. Someone tripling your salary supersedes loyalty.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
That 3rd is worth nothing and we already had plenty of low picks
That 1st round pick is not worth more in a trade and it's not even close.

KK is a better assets than both that 1st and 3rd round pick put together.

Are you serious? You think 6.1M is to KK is a good hockey decision? You let him walk at that price and if you think KK will sign a more friendly deal next season when his qualifying offer is at 6.1M, think again. If KK sign for less next season it will be because he had a bad season which wouldn't be a great thing for either MTL or Carolinaé There's no way you match this if you're Bergevin. You take the picks and you do something with them. If you think an unprotected first from a team with Andersen and Raanta in net is worth nothing in a really deep draft and that KK is worth paying 3x his worth you must be smoking something strong. This was a move done by the Hurricanes to piss off Montreal but it wasn't a 3D chess move made by Waddell, far from it. KK isn't Aho, he isn't Pettersson or Suzuki. There's major risk in what he did and if I'm Bergevin, I take the picks and make something out of them. Either trading them right away or watch Hurricanes play this season and maybe cash in in next year draft in Montreal !

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don't think that MB let Danault walk, he gave him a very good offer, the Kings were the only team to offer a little more, Phil simply wanted out.

ok fair enough, but still losing your 2nd and 3rd C during the offseason would be a big, big stain on MB's resume.

Especially a 3rd C that's still 21 and was a 3rd OA pick... and that Canes pick won't be a lottery one I'm fairly certain

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
We have to match and give KK every opportunity to be worth $6MM plus going forward which isn’t big money if he’s a legit Top 6 C

Letting him go for magic beans would be dumb, either he’s a top 6 or he’s not and you let him walk to UFA next year
I think you gotta make calls all week seeing if you can strike a deal for a replacement center.
If you get a deal lined up, let him walk. But if you don't then match the offer sheet.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He probably wants out and they might want to part ways as well, we shall see I guess. It would really sting to see him break out but the pressure of getting 6.1 in Montreal next year will be overwhelming. I would let him walk but the screwup here falls completely on MB.
lmao, so you entertain the possibility that KK could actually breakthrough
but no matter the outcome you'll blame Bergevin! I like you man but you clearly have a fixation on Bergevin.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah the Canes can go ahead and pay their 3C 6.2m. Take the picks. Plenty of very good RFAs to offer sheet next season on their roster.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Personally I wouldn’t match. Canes lost some big time players this summer.

Hamilton is gone
Both their starting goalies are gone
Bean is gone
I don’t know if they will be that good.
Who knows the pick might be a lottery pick.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
If guys want to be mad at somebody - it isn't KK! WHY wasn't he signed all this time into the offseason?? KK is probably pissed off at low-ball offers, getting sat in the playoffs for f***ing ERIC... STALLLLLL (remember the 4 finger salute!) and when given a way to show his frustration, he took it. I would have done the same. He's a 21-year old kid, lets not forget.

THIS... is on Bergevin!! Another poorly managed asset potentially lost. Yeah, we would gain a 1st and a 3rd - now, go look at our track record of drafting players. Its ugly. Then, realize whatever pick we make, won't be with the team for AT LEAST 3 years. Meanwhile, we have Suzuki, Evans, Poehling, and two washed-up locals that don't even play center anymore.
Thanks MB, you've just proven the point i have been saying for years, that you've surpassed Houle as the worst gm in Habs history....Bravo!

Reactions: Habs13 and zeeto

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Go watch the habs behind the scene of that draft. It pretty much looks like it was between kk or tkachuk.

Commentators that night did mention it was KK or Hayton actually.

I mean, I’m the end, it doesn’t matter. We don’t have Hayton, Tkachuk or Zadina. By this time next week, maybe no KK.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Well, the more I think about it.....the more I think you're right.
At first I didn't want to sign him at all at that price, still don't want to.

Our choice are pretty much this:

1- We let him go for nothing. Those picks won't get us anything of real value.
2- We sign him and we take the gamble he's going to be a top 6 center for us, if not, we let him go for nothing next year.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
"loyalty" are you serious?

I get "loyalty" when ita like a 5% difference, or similar contract.

but this contract might be more than what he'll make the rest of his career if he shits the bed.

And if he doesn't, he just secured a QO of at least 6.1M...

The biggest winner in all this is Kotkaniemi
Yes, loyalty. I could see a handshake type deal in place to sign an extension for less than his q.o. in Carolina, but I don't think he'd do that in Montreal.

Kk gets 6.1 m AND he gets to leave Montreal.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Carolina's forward group is sick. But with no Hamilton and a declining Anderson as their starter, the backend and goaltending definitely took a hit.

Reactions: Nedved

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Personally I wouldn’t match. Canes lost some big time players this summer.

Hamilton is gone
Both their starting goalies are gone
Bean is gone
I don’t know if they will be that good.
Who knows the pick might be a lottery pick.
I don’t think it’ll be lottery worthy but either way take them. Getting the first and third gives you two extra assets to target Eichel. Sell some of our farm and some of Carolinas and it’s a more compelling offer that hurts is less long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad