Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes offer sheet for Kotkaniemi (1 year, 6.1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
In terms of perfect timing Don Waddell is the boss. Think about it: if Bergevin was trying to cook up a deal with Buffalo KK was guaranteed to be part of it - now he can't. And even if Bergevin matches there's no way Buffalo is taking a $6.1 mil KK.
If Bergevin refuses to match we have 1 (one) guaranteed NHL quality center this season; if Bergy matches we have a ridiculously overpaid 3C/healthy scratch whose next contract has to be qualified at $6.1.
Checkmate.
WTF took Bergevin so long to get a deal done with KK?
Can't even be mad at Carolina...payback's a bitch.
So exchange the first and third for any kk proposals, it's not like kk had much more value than a mid 1st at this time anyway.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's not a sure lost on Montreal. You can use those assets to trade for someone else. Carolina can also suck this year and that 1st round pick turns into a really good player. When lifes throws you lemon, makes lemonade

That 3rd is worth nothing and we already had plenty of low picks
That 1st round pick is not worth more in a trade and it's not even close.

KK is a better assets than both that 1st and 3rd round pick put together.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
We're not talking 35 cents . This is easily getting 2x your salary and then some, you'd be crazy not to leave and laugh...

KK won't be worth 6mil for the next 2-3 years and that's what a team will be stuck paying him for his next 2 contracts.
I was referring to the $20 bonus that the Canes put in because that's Aho's number, and the added $15 to his base salary because it's KK's number. That's around 35 cents for people who aren't making 6 million+.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If that same job asked you to take an extra 35 cents just to make fun of the company that started your career and you were with them for 3 years, would you do it?

He doesn’t care about the signing bonus. He cares about the $6m. And no, I wouldn’t give a shit if I get three times more.

Reactions: zeeto

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Someone needs to Photoshop this just so it's his middle finger that's extended since by signing this OS he just did that to MB and the Habs.

To be fair, Kotkaniemi was the whipping boy for all the Centers, was benched and moved to the wing when less productive guys (who also obviously did not want to be here) were not, and sat the last two playoff games. The organization hasn’t exactly been that great to him either.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Ehhh NO!

That's the thing.

His next contract will start at 6M$ if Carolina wants to keep him.

There's no we snatched him and then we'll pay him less loophole in this league.

why not? Is he banned from the nhl if no team signs him to that offer? Can Carolina not renegotiate his fair value? Can they structure a deal that pays him 6 million and then 2 million for 3 more years? Curious of all the ins and outs but I doubt the plan is to have him resigned at 6 unless he earns it.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I wouldn't sign KK to a 6.1M / year deal. If you sign him at that price. You're just putting yourself in cap hell for a player that doesn't deserves it. It's a lose-lose for Montreal or a Win - Lose for Carolina.

If Montreal match. You get KK at 6.1 which we all agree is way too much for an unproven player and only a on a 1 year deal too. You have to qualify him at that price next season too. If you take the picks you have another 1st round pick in a very deep draft next season which is in Montreal too by the way. You can flip thoses picks for a more proven center like Dvorak or anyone else.

and if Montreal doesn't match. Carolina are now stuck with a 6.1M player who isn't worth that much right now. Will he continue to evolve into a better player and be worth that kind of money in a couple years. Maybe, maybe not.

I see the Carolina Hurricanes lineup and I see some really big questions marks like in goals. Andersen and Raanta ? Really? They lost Dougie Hamilton. They signed DeAngelo who's known to be a locker room cancer. They could be an injury away (Aho, Slavin) to having a really tough season being already in a tough division and playing in the east. That 1st round pick could come back and bites them in the ass. They will be over the cap too with 6.1M going to KK.

Also, two years ago the offersheet to Aho made sense. That was a player that totally deserved that type of contract and commitment. That offersheet to Kotkaniemi is pure pettiness from Carolina. It's a sucky move for Montreal sure, but it could be a sucky move for them too... which Aho two seasons ago was a sure thing.

Let them have him at that cost. Take the 1st and 3rd and flip them to another team for a center or keep the pick and watch Carolina play this season. I tell you it was a risky move for them to do that and just to piss off Montreal? You do this to Suzuki, you do this to Caufield. I would get it but Kotkaniemi? f*** it. Let them have him and we'll use their 1st and 3rd in our own way.

No hard feeling against KK. You don't spit on 6M a year but MTL have to pass on this. I wouldn't becomes Carolina's bitch for KK. Suzuki or Caufield yes sure. KK? Hell no.

Cap space is a premium right now too. You don't commit 6M to a maybe-maybe not player like KK as much as I like him and would like to see him grow in Habs system. Not at that price. Too much of a risk, too much of a commitment.

Can you imagine Carolina missing the playoff and we win the lottery with that pick? Shane Wright - Brad Lambert - Matthew Savoie - Ivan Mirochnichenko ?

It's really a bad position to be in for MB.

I understand the sentiment of letting him walk - a 1st and a 3rd for what we've seen of him to date would be great value. However, MB let Danault walk probably thibking of Kotkaniemi as a staple in the top 9. If he lets Kotka walk, he loses 2 top 9 centers in one year, and your new 2C is either Jake Evans or... Ryan Poehling? It's just a really bad look for the "GM of the year finalist". There's also a not insignificant chance that Kotka steps up to be a 40-50pts C next season, and then letting him walk sucks.

But then, signing him means that he NEEDS to produce at that rate, otherwise you lose him for nothing next year (are we really gonna qualify him at 6M if he's yet again a 30 pts player?). And if he does step up, you pay RFA years at a premium... which is just plain dumb.

So, MB's probably gonna have to match to keep his job, but he's losing either way. This offer sheet is lower in value but is much more damageable to MB/the Habs than the Aho offer sheet which was laughable at best.

Oh, the Canes could miss the playoffs and win the lottery sure... but would you really bet on that as the hockey workd laughs at your incompetence as a gm?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He doesn’t care about the signing bonus. He cares about the $6m. And no, I wouldn’t give a shit if I get three times more.
He could have easily declined it knowing that the purpose was only to troll the Habs and making them look like shit to which he is supporting it. I wasn't talking about the 3 times more salary, I was talking about agreeing the extra 15 dollars from his contract and 20 dollars as a signing bonus. It's insulting the Habs and MB.

Reactions: viceroy

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
If that same job asked you to take an extra 35 cents just to make fun of the company that started your career and you were with them for 3 years, would you do it?
This tells a lot about KK and screams disloyal employee that no company will no longer keep. KK could of had a good argument here if he had a +50 point season but this is not the case. BargainBin doesn't like these type of players. I see a few scenarios:

1) MB matches and then trades the player to a bad franchise like Arizona for another basketcase.

2) He screws with the Canes and lets them have KK. The Canes forfeit 2 picks.

Regardless the decision, KK has played his last game in Montreal. Looking back, Tkachuk would have been an excellent pick right now.

Too many busts and mishandling of young players means that Timmins needs to be canned for good.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's really a bad position to be in for MB.

I understand the sentiment of letting him walk - a 1st and a 3rd for what we've seen of him to date would be great value. However, MB let Danault walk probably thibking of Kotkaniemi as a staple in the top 9. If he lets Kotka walk, he loses 2 top 9 centers in one year, and your new 2C is either Jake Evans or... Ryan Poehling? It's just a really bad look for the "GM of the year finalist". There's also a not insignificant chance that Kotka steps up to be a 40-50pts C next season, and then letting him walk sucks.

But then, signing him means that he NEEDS to produce at that rate, otherwise you lose him for nothing next year (are we really gonna qualify him at 6M if he's yet again a 30 pts player?). And if he does step up, you pay RFA years at a premium... which is just plain dumb.

So, MB's probably gonna have to match to keep his job, but he's losing either way. This offer sheet is lower in value but is much more damageable to MB/the Habs than the Aho offer sheet which was laughable at best.

Oh, the Canes could miss the playoffs and win the lottery sure... but would you really bet on that as the hockey workd laughs at your incompetence as a gm?

I don't think that MB let Danault walk, he gave him a very good offer, the Kings were the only team to offer a little more, Phil simply wanted out.

Reactions: dinodebino and abo9

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
That 3rd is worth nothing and we already had plenty of low picks
That 1st round pick is not worth more in a trade and it's not even close.

KK is a better assets than both that 1st and 3rd round pick put together.

Absolutely. The contract is the issue though..

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Let him go to Carolina, 6.1 million, yikes, that's a lot for KK.
The decision is really harder to make than it seem to be honest.

KK is not worth that salary right now clearly but losing him for some late first-rounder and a third...

The real decision here is probably made by Timmins, if he thinks KK will eventually evolve into a first/second-line center they'll probably take the bite.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He could have easily declined it knowing that the purpose was only to troll the Habs and making them look like shit to which he is supporting it. I wasn't talking about the 3 times more salary, I was talking about agreeing the extra 15 dollars from his contract and 20 dollars as a signing bonus. It's insulting the Habs and MB.

That doesn’t concern him. That’s a MB and Waddell issue. $6m is what he sees. He wasn’t getting that much money from anyone else.

Reactions: zeeto

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The decision is really harder to make than it seem to be honest.

KK is not worth that salary right now clearly but losing him for some late first-rounder and a third...

The real decision here is probably made by Timmins, if he thinks KK will eventually evolve into a first/second-line center they'll probably take the bite.
And if he does think that, he should be fired on the spot for f***ing up 2 top 3 picks.

Reactions: Milhouse40

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That doesn’t concern him. That’s a MB and Waddell issue. $6m is what he sees. He wasn’t getting that much money from anyone else.
I know that doesn't seem to concern him, it makes it a dick move to agree to the 35$. Could have easily said, I don't want to insult and/or embarrass the team that drafted me so he'll just take the 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad