Hurricanes Lounge, XXXIII: Danger Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Although that is a unique style house, with some unique "ahem" features, but how the hell, in this market did a 5500 SQFT home on a 1 acre lot INSIDE the belt line only sell for $795K?

A friend of mine had a 4600 SQFT home on .6 acres down near holly springs sell for $860K.
I think part of the answer lies in the question. It also has the highway in the backyard (some people don't care about that, but it never helps). They also listed it for $1.1m in 2018, so it was overpriced at one point. The longer a house sits, the harder it gets to sell.

It's a deal for the right buyer, whoever that was. I'd imagine they're prepared to pour several hundred thousand into a renovation.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Although that is a unique style house, with some unique "ahem" features, but how the hell, in this market did a 5500 SQFT home on a 1 acre lot INSIDE the belt line only sell for $795K?

A friend of mine had a 4600 SQFT home on .6 acres down near holly springs sell for $860K.
I don’t know the market around Raleigh but in ATL, anything 500 goes as quickly as y’all mention in Raleigh. Anything over can take some time if the features are too custom. Of if it has some acres but an aging house.

I think the 3 bedrooms scared people away. A lot of people aren’t in the market for 3 bedrooms at 800k

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don’t know the market around Raleigh but in ATL, anything 500 goes as quickly as y’all mention in Raleigh. Anything over can take some time if the features are too custom. Of if it has some acres but an aging house.

I think the 3 bedrooms scared people away. A lot of people aren’t in the market for 3 bedrooms at 800k

Do you mean "only 3 bedrooms" for 800k?

If so, I could see that and that could be the case. Still, I know people who have spent $500K to buy a house inside the Beltane only to tear it down and build a new one so it seems a bit odd to me. I guess you never know though.

Reactions: MinJaBen and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think part of the answer lies in the question. It also has the highway in the backyard (some people don't care about that, but it never helps). They also listed it for $1.1m in 2018, so it was overpriced at one point. The longer a house sits, the harder it gets to sell.

True about the highway, although the friends house I mentioned is very close to where 540 is going down by Holly Springs. Not "in his backyard", but the neighborhood backs right up to 540.

Your comment about 2018 was what I was alluding to though. In 2018, I could see it sitting or selling for a lower price. With such low inventory now and the market as it is, it's a bit surprising to me to go for the price it went for.

Probably a combination of the highway, a unique design, 3 bedrooms as gocanes0506 mentioned, and as you alluded to, maybe the owner just wanted out after being on the market longer.

It's a deal for the right buyer, whoever that was. I'd imagine they're prepared to pour several hundred thousand into a renovation.

Probably true.

Reactions: DaveG

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't think I could even be comfortable in a house like that. I'd feel like I was in a really nice airport all the time. The little swimming pool inside would be badass though.

Reactions: DaveG

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Rent around here is so ridiculous for a single person that I f***ed around and decided to buy a 1000 sq ft fixer upper. I was filled with much regret and remorse when I got the keys back in January but it’ll be mine when I finally move in in the next couple weeks. A friend came by to check it out when I first got it and I could tell he was wondering wtf I’d gotten into. Could’ve told me that beforehand!

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I washed my car key and now it doesn't work anymore. The spare is at my mom's house, 800 miles away.

LOL, what the f*** am I gonna do now

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I washed my car key and now it doesn't work anymore. The spare is at my mom's house, 800 miles away.

LOL, what the f*** am I gonna do now

Have you tried the "remove the battery and place it in a bowl of rice (or a very low temp oven)" method? I've had the work a few times on various electronic devices. Also had it not work on a couple as well.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Rice method engaged. It's brown rice, does that matter? The only other thing I have is asparagus and mushroom risotto

Put it in a bag of rice. It works. What kind of car?

It's a Mazda 3. It's supposed to have a physical key hidden in the fob that flips out of the housing, but it was broken off when I got the car, and as I mentioned, I left the other key at my mom's house.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Rice method engaged. It's brown rice, does that matter? The only other thing I have is asparagus and mushroom risotto

There are other options than Rice as well. Rice, while it works, wasn't shown to be the best so you can try other things.

Not sure about brown rice, but instant rice was shown to be better in a couple of experiments.

635361864959918765.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Only done it with white rice but should not matter.

I think it might?, to some extent. Instant rice absorbs water better than uncooked white rice. Since Brown Rice takes longer to cook than white rice, I "assume" (maybe incorrectly) that it doesn't absorb water as well, or at least as quickly, as white rice, but not sure if this is true.

I found another study that showed the amount of water absorbed:

After 24 hours, the sponges were weighed again to see how much weight had been lost. And would you believe it—according to the results, uncooked white rice placed dead last in effectiveness as a drying agent. Here's the list, from best to worst.
  • Open-air sponge - 7.6 mL lost
  • Silica gel - 6.1 mL lost
  • Cat litter - 5.5 mL lost
  • Instant couscous - 5.0 mL lost
  • Instant rice - 5.0 mL lost
  • Instant oatmeal - 5.0 mL lost
  • Uncooked white rice - 4.0 mL lost

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I think it might?, to some extent. Instant rice absorbs water better than uncooked white rice. Since Brown Rice takes longer to cook than white rice, I "assume" (maybe incorrectly) that it doesn't absorb water as well, or at least as quickly, as white rice, but not sure if this is true.

I found another study that showed the amount of water absorbed:

After 24 hours, the sponges were weighed again to see how much weight had been lost. And would you believe it—according to the results, uncooked white rice placed dead last in effectiveness as a drying agent. Here's the list, from best to worst.
  • Open-air sponge - 7.6 mL lost
  • Silica gel - 6.1 mL lost
  • Cat litter - 5.5 mL lost
  • Instant couscous - 5.0 mL lost
  • Instant rice - 5.0 mL lost
  • Instant oatmeal - 5.0 mL lost
  • Uncooked white rice - 4.0 mL lost

Yeah, probably true. Silica gel is optimum. I asked the brand because you can extract the circuit board on a lot of the smart keys. That would accelerate the drying process.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Well I just had someone chew me out because we don't offer same day services and are booked two weeks out. How's everyone else's day going so far?
Just found out my son's provisional licence expired. If he had upgraded his licence to a full licence the day of his birthday this week, he could have done it online. Now that it expired, he has to go in person. In a month. And he was supposed to be "the driver" when his mom and I were away this weekend on our anniversary trip. :mad:

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't have the 800k to buy the nice house in the nice place. Guess I'm doing something wrong.

But for real what are so many people doing that they can afford 500-800k houses all over the damn place.

signed: geriatric millennial.

I think it’s a combo of these boards having some high RTP-type earners, as well as some mid-late career folks that have had the time to sink equity away into housing which lets them have a way smaller mortgage (or none at all) on those higher priced houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad