Hurricanes Lounge XXXI: The Self Quarantined Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Yeah, true, but the text based listserves were used by a very, very small % of Americans back in 90/91 and were Certainly not forum to date. It certainly wasn’t a way for most to get dates and I don’t know of any connections made that way,
Agreed. I guess it depends on what listserv you're on. This one couple met on a location/allocation software modeling listserv. Tres sexy...

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Before the "web" there was the text based internet. No bulletin boards or AOL.

So we used listservs. Email based systems that you could subscribe to. Any and all topics. Subject lines became "threads" and you could get emails live or in a daily digest depending on the listserv. I joined some for academic purposes and a couple for fun. Back then the internet was used mainly by government, universities and such. Much 'high falutin' intellectual stuff thrown around. Lempo would have loved it. Before emoticons we did this :-> for 'Glad' and such so there ere limited ways to express feelings.

To get to the point. I know of 4 marriages that came out of people connecting through these. 2 that I know of are still going strong. I still keep up with quite a few folks I met online (and many in person). One couple has a gathering of us every few years or so out in CA where they live. We all look much older now.

I met Mrs. Hank before photos had become common in online personals. She said in her ad that she was an English grad student at State, and I knew exactly that life, so I dazzled her with my charm and wit (out of 200+ responses; the internet has always been a sausagefest.) We agreed to meet at a coffeeshop, and we basically talked nothing about our looks, so of course I was convinced that I was gonna be disappointed. We had talked about a specific book, so I brought a copy of that book so she'd know me -- and this stunning creature walks through the door and I'm like "that can't be her but please please please be her" and she walked up to me and said "are you Hank?" and outside I was all "yes I am!" and inside I was like HOLY SHIT I HIT THE f***ING JACKPOT.

January 16th, 1998, around 7pm. One of the best moments of my life. We've been together almost every day since. Man, I got so lucky. Dating is a f***ing nightmare, and I'm sad for all of you that still have to do it.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yeah, true, but the text based listserves were used by a very, very small % of Americans back in 90/91 and were Certainly not forum to date. It certainly wasn’t a way for most to get dates and I don’t know of any connections made that way,

I met a girl from a MUD in 1991.

Anyone know what a MUD is? No? All right then.

It didn't work out.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think my probably first internet experience was on the library computer with a 90's punk liking class mate who filled in and submitted a voting questionnaire on the site of the national youth radio channel.

The radio channel went through the results in a radio show next week and they had a b-list band as guests on the show. Of course the host would go lottery-pick my mate's submit among those they had printed out.

I forgot the band's name but I never forget their shitty laughter: "The dude has voted Green Day!"

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Michael Tracey sums up my thoughts on Mattis nicely:

Because that move from the commander in chief utterly screwed up the Kurd allies of US who had taken the brunt in fighting against ISIS, completely leaving them on the mercies of ISIS and Syrian forces from one side and Turkey from the other side, and pouring into sand what US felt they had achieved by being there.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Because that move from the commander in chief utterly screwed up the Kurd allies of US who had taken the brunt in fighting against ISIS, completely leaving them on the mercies of ISIS and Syrian forces from one side and Turkey from the other side, and pouring into sand what US felt they had achieved by being there.
Stuck in a bad spot.

American people/media: another conflict, c’mon
Kurks: bro we’re in this together

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Does Brees survive this?

i say probably not. He either sits or he gets the Carr treatment of “blocking” by his linemen.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Am I right in assuming that it's more complicated than I've been let on to understand? I'm afraid our press is kind of tilted in all things Trump. And obviously an EU national talking anything about official response re: Turkey is a man juggling stones in a glass house.

I will accept the answer "Yes." without need to go into it further.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I met Mrs. Hank before photos had become common in online personals. She said in her ad that she was an English grad student at State, and I knew exactly that life, so I dazzled her with my charm and wit (out of 200+ responses; the internet has always been a sausagefest.) We agreed to meet at a coffeeshop, and we basically talked nothing about our looks, so of course I was convinced that I was gonna be disappointed. We had talked about a specific book, so I brought a copy of that book so she'd know me -- and this stunning creature walks through the door and I'm like "that can't be her but please please please be her" and she walked up to me and said "are you Hank?" and outside I was all "yes I am!" and inside I was like HOLY SHIT I HIT THE f***ING JACKPOT.

January 16th, 1998, around 7pm. One of the best moments of my life. We've been together almost every day since. Man, I got so lucky. Dating is a f***ing nightmare, and I'm sad for all of you that still have to do it.
That is pure awesome, I needed a wholesome story like that this morning.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It’s very dangerous to have an opinion on certain things these days.
Don't think.
If you think, don't speak.
If you think and speak, don't write.
If you think and speak and write, don't sign.
If you think and speak and write and sign, don't wonder

- old proverb from Soviet Union

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

Hey Hank, look at it that way. The greatest thing might not be that you hit the jackpot... but the fact that she did as well.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Don't think.
If you think, don't speak.
If you think and speak, don't write.
If you think and speak and write, don't sign.
If you think and speak and write and sign, don't wonder

- old proverb from Soviet Union

Lempo, I think you would make a decent post-comm citizen. It's a weird compliment, I know.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Lempo, I think you would make a decent post-comm citizen. It's a weird compliment, I know.
You do know it's not called Finlandization for nothing, right?

Probably the earliest baby photo of me is from the turn of the 1980's, me sitting in a transformable baby table/highchair, in front of a TV stand that has some The Soviet Union magazines orthodoxically positioned on the magazine rack under the TV.

Before Renny Harlin directed the classic film Die Hard 2, he was pretty much exiled for his 1986 film Born American that got banned in Finland as anti-Soviet (a qualification also known as "general reasons" when something wasn't allowed to be done).

My dad was driving a red Lada at that time, and I would tactically shut my eyes on critically timed moment so that Unser Sandmännchen of the children's program wouldn't manage to strang me out with his sleeping sand.

I got my baggage.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

Probably the earliest baby photo of me is from the turn of the 1980's, me sitting in a transformable baby table/highchair, in front of a TV stand that has some The Soviet Union magazines orthodoxically positioned on the magazine rack under the TV.

Before Renny Harlin directed the classic film Die Hard 2, he was pretty much exiled for his 1986 film Born American that got banned in Finland as anti-Soviet (a qualification also known as "general reasons" when something wasn't allowed to be done).

My dad was driving a red Lada at that time, and I would tactically shut my eyes on critically timed moment so that Unser Sandmännchen of the children's program wouldn't manage to strang me out with his sleeping sand.

I got my baggage.

Hush, little baby, don't say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It's just the beast under your bed
In your closet, in your head

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

I got my baggage.
Most importantly, do you consider Die Hard a Christmas movie?

how about Rocky IV, was it banned? Or Red Dawn? Was Red Dawn a documentary?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Most importantly, do you consider Die Hard a Christmas movie?

how about Rocky IV, was it banned? Or Red Dawn? Was Red Dawn a documentary?
I consider Die Hard the Christmas movie. Though I'm legally obligated to mention Rare Exports in the same sentence.

The State Movie Inspection Agency cut about two minutes of material deemed "foreign politically questionable" from Rocky IV in 1985.

Red Dawn was deemed "completely forbidden" and wasn't to be shown or distributed in Finland. It got released for video distribution in 1989. The Arnold Schwarzenegger film Red Heat got the same Finnish-translated title as Red Dawn: "Red Danger". I'm fairly certain this was done intentionally to fool the population.

I can't disassociate Red Dawn from Dirty Dancing, and as an avid X-Men fan I refuse to accept any Wolverine without either adamantium or bone claws.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad