Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
7E966396-B317-48B9-A900-52753A550355.jpeg

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I got a new phone yesterday (for the given value of "new"). I bought it to be an up-to-date device to run the other-than-other-than-Android-or-iOS OS that I have a shine one. I voided the warranty by flashing it, happily avoided making it a brick in the process, and now after having set it up to my ways it's kind of boring already because now it's pretty much like my old phone, only more powerful and robust.

Only a couple of Android apps aren't working in lack of the Google Services. Sadly The Athletic is one of them.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I got a new phone yesterday (for the given value of "new"). I bought it to be an up-to-date device to run the other-than-other-than-Android-or-iOS OS that I have a shine one. I voided the warranty by flashing it, happily avoided making it a brick in the process, and now after having set it up to my ways it's kind of boring already because now it's pretty much like my old phone, only more powerful and robust.

Only a couple of Android apps aren't working in lack of the Google Services. Sadly The Athletic is one of them.
I used to do a lot of rooting, unlocking, ROMing, etc. The early versions of Android were pretty rough around the edges and you really had to do a lot of that to finish what the developers had started.

Now I'm almost 2 1/2 years into my Pixel. I've never rooted or unlocked it, and it still runs like a champ (aside from the battery being totally shot). A microSD slot would have been nice, but it's still far and away the best phone I've ever had. Each successive iteration of the OS has left me with less reason to want to tinker, and eventually it got to the point where I didn't bother. I'm sure I'd still enjoy making it do cool stuff, but I don't feel like I need to anymore to get the phone I want. It's kinda nice.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I used to do a lot of rooting, unlocking, ROMing, etc. The early versions of Android were pretty rough around the edges and you really had to do a lot of that to finish what the developers had started.

Now I'm almost 2 1/2 years into my Pixel. I've never rooted or unlocked it, and it still runs like a champ (aside from the battery being totally shot). A microSD slot would have been nice, but it's still far and away the best phone I've ever had. Each successive iteration of the OS has left me with less reason to want to tinker, and eventually it got to the point where I didn't bother. I'm sure I'd still enjoy making it do cool stuff, but I don't feel like I need to anymore to get the phone I want. It's kinda nice.

Not having to would be my preferred option too, but I took a shine on the damn Sailfish OS by Jolla.

I got their first self-manufactured Jolla phone in 2015, and also ordered the OS-licensed-by-an-Indian-operator device Intex Aqua Fish. First one failed recently, and though Aqua Fish is kicking nicely and gets all OS updates, the Android compatibility layer allowing the usage of Android apps is becoming pretty obsolete (4.4 Kitkat).

Alas, they got burned in the manufacturing front, and nowadays they only license the Sailfish OS for others. For private customers they got official ports for a number of devices of Sony Xperia variety through the Sony Open Devices thingy, which are pretty much the only game in town for people like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad