Rumor: Hurricanes interested in Laine, Jets want Pesce and Necas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
You know nothing about hockey if you think Pionk is a better player than Trouba. He has ZERO ability to matchup against any top line. As far as Heinola goes. Don't hold your breath. He's a 5'11 defenseman. Actually wait and see what he does over the grueling 82 game NHL seasons he will play in.

Might want to look at your teams dmen height

Reactions: Muffinalt

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
He would definitely thrive on a line with Aho and Teravainen. 50 goals in 82 games would not be impossible.

He scores a lot when playing with someone who’s not complete garbage (Little).

The Jets are using him the wrong way, he never will be a good two-way player so it’s a waste of time trying to change him into that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If anyone knows the answer it should be you! You follow his name around just to shit on him. Instead of insulting him all the time maybe watch him and learn who he actually is!

No, that's Pettersson. Anyway, I give him credit for what he is: a flawed goalscorer who hasn't reached the heights suggested by his fans despite being given every chance to succeed. Does he have another level? Possibly, but I don't think that's a sure thing, on the Jets or anywhere else.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
he's still only 23... plenty of star players came in at a young age then broke out at 23+ so please don't act like he can't get any better... just from getting more physically mature he will improve.

That's possible I suppose but not a certainty. Its just as likely he is what he is.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
How can anyone talk about Laine in a negitive way? he's such an awesome player.
He's only 22 yrs old, has four seasons under his belt and produces at a .45 goals per game. That is insane! its a 37 goal pace over 82 games. Elite status winger for sure.
Add in the fact he's 6'5 and a possible elite C in Aho..... thats a lock for 50 goals

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
There it is folks, the true measure of ones nhl talents. His height! Elite prospects has him listed at 6’. Does that mean his chances like... double?
Bobby Orr was only one inch taller than Heinola and played in an era when way more liberties were taken on players, and he turned out somewhat alright.

Reactions: Nedarb

OsmondH

Oct 16, 2020
Lake Worth
What people fail to mention is, while Scheifele may or may not be a better center than Aho, he'd like to score 50 himself centering Laine. Aho wouldn't mind one bit scoring 20 and assisting 80 when centering Laine. Add in TT who'd be more than happy with 0+100 and feeding the puck to Laine, and I think it's safe to say Laine would easily score 50 goals per 82 gp for the Canes. Even 60, but maybe that's stretching it. What's certain is that he'd score a lot more with two playmakers vs with two goalscorers.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
What people fail to mention is, while Scheifele may or may not be a better center than Aho, he'd like to score 50 himself centering Laine. Aho wouldn't mind one bit scoring 20 and assisting 80 when centering Laine. Add in TT who'd be more than happy with 0+100 and feeding the puck to Laine, and I think it's safe to say Laine would easily score 50 goals per 82 gp for the Canes. Even 60, but maybe that's stretching it. What's certain is that he'd score a lot more with two playmakers vs with two goalscorers.
The NHL should easily figure out that Laine is the only one shooting in that line, in this scenario.
It's not "safe to say" that Laine would ever hit 50 currently, he needs more help to score than a real consistent 50 scorer Ovechkin.

Yes, on paper he might score 50, but the paper hasn't won any championship.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I haven't been following this thread... Is there any indication what Carolina is willing to trade for Laine?

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I haven't been following this thread... Is there any indication what Carolina is willing to trade for Laine?
The discussion has evolved to a point where a trade doesn't seem feasible.
That's at least what I get out of the 18 pages.

Reactions: lanky

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

They won’t part with Pesce. I don’t think they’d trade Jarvis or Suzuki as I think they are extremely high on them. Personally, I’d hope they would keep Rees and Bean off the table too cause I like those 2 a lot.

They maybe would trade Necas along with a D, but who knows. I think they really like Necas too, but they’re certainly not getting Laine for nothing. I think the rest of the package would be made up one of Skjei/Fleury/
Bean + another roster player such as Geekie or Foegele or a prospect like Bokk/Drury/ or 1st rd pick. If the D was not Skjei, then some other sort of salary dump would also have to go to WPG, perhaps Niederreiter. I don’t mention Gardiner as no team is going to take on that contract without motivation now anyway, and Hamilton is out because of contract status.

My thinking is that they potentially try to make another run at him in the offseason, if the price comes down.

Last edited:

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Winnipeg should absolutely be asking for a boatload for Laine. Will they get it..yet to be seen but given Winnipeg is likely losing any trade they make as they’re sacrificing the best player, you have to set the ask high.

Management in Winnipeg will/should be crucified for f***ing up a 2nd overall draft pick to appease the wants of 2 players in their locker room so they gotta maximize what they receive. This could be franchise-altering.

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
They won’t part with Pesce. I don’t think they’d trade Jarvis or Suzuki as I think they are extremely high on them. Personally, I’d hope they would keep Rees and Bean off the table too cause I like those 2 a lot.

They maybe would trade Necas along with a D, but who knows. I think they really like Necas too, but they’re certainly not getting Laine for nothing. I think the rest of the package would be made up one of Skjei/Fleury/
Bean + another roster player such as Geekie or Foegele or a prospect like Bokk/Drury/ or 1st rd pick. If the D was not Skjei, then some other sort of salary dump would also have to go to WPG, perhaps Niederreiter. I don’t mention Gardiner as no team is going to take on that contract without motivation now anyway, and Hamilton is out because of contract status.

My thinking is that they potentially try to make another run at him in the offseason, if the price comes down.

I mean, I'm sure you realize that they have to give to get. The perspective package options you laid out is full of secondary and third options, while guys like Geekie and Foegle are more or less depth options.

Pesce is a fine dman, but he and Necas are more than a fair price to bring in Laine. If they'd rather not part with them, that's also fair (although Dundon is all about fun offensive hockey and perspective fans in the seats (whenever that may be) as well as merchandise sales.

How many kids in Carolina are excited to ask their parents for the new Brett Pesce or Martin Necas reverse retro? How many kids would be running to get the new Laine reverse retro? They're just guys.. dime a dozen types, where as Laine is a star with superstar potential.

On the business side of things, in a market like Carolina that is always looking to market to fans, Laine makes absolute sense.

If you look at the Canes 2020 draft, you can mix Cam Robinson, Will Scouch and Byron Bader's rankings and see that they basically drafted for the highest analytical upside on each pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowkiddin

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I mean, I'm sure you realize that they have to give to get. The perspective package options you laid out is full of secondary and third options, while guys like Geekie and Foegle are more or less depth options.

Pesce is a fine dman, but he and Necas are more than a fair price to bring in Laine. If they'd rather not part with them, that's also fair (although Dundon is all about fun offensive hockey and perspective fans in the seats (whenever that may be) as well as merchandise sales.

How many kids in Carolina are excited to ask their parents for the new Brett Pesce or Martin Necas reverse retro? How many kids would be running to get the new Laine reverse retro? They're just guys.. dime a dozen types, where as Laine is a star with superstar potential.

On the business side of things, in a market like Carolina that is always looking to market to fans, Laine makes absolute sense.

If you look at the Canes 2020 draft, you can mix Cam Robinson, Will Scouch and Byron Bader's rankings and see that they basically drafted for the highest analytical upside on each pick.

Very easy to disagree with this.

CAR has Svechnikov, Aho and Hamilton to market to fans, as well as a team that is finally winning. To a lesser extent, if Necas comes into his own, he’s another young, very marketable asset.

Pesce and Necas for Laine is good for WPG, awful for CAR. It saddles them with 3 huge contracts to negotiate in one offseason (Hamilton, Svechnikov and Laine) while they lose 2 of their best contracts in Pesce and Necas, still on his ELC.

I’m not completely against dealing Necas in a package for Laine, but Necas + Pesce would be an absurd overpayment that would completely blow up the team’s cap structure. I believe the CAR front office, very rightfully so, thinks the same thing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

This is silly. I'm not the biggest Laine fan, but he has a lot more value than your Z level assets.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
No. Centre is more demanding because you can't cherry pick and cheat. You actually need to play defense. I would say that there's significant more opportunity for wingers to put up points
I would be interested to see you support this claim.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Nah. If you watch Carolina play, you wouldn’t know who was a C and who was a wing in the offensive zone. They rotate, swap and fill open spots all the time.

other than getting a secondary assist off a face off, which isn’t a huge occurrence, being a C in the o zone isn’t an advantage.

defensive zone though, is where the C has way more responsibility. They have to play deep, work in the dirty areas more, have to be more active as the other team cycles, and usually are leaving the zone after the wingers who primarily cover the point and start leaving the zone earlier once the D gets position.
You might not notice what is happening in the Ozone.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I would be interested to see you support this claim.

Yet you made a statement without any support. How about we just look at the numbers.

For the past 5 seasons, here are the NHL's top scorers:

1: Connor McDavid (C): 1st OA pick and generational talent, viewed by many as the best player in the NHL
2: Patrick Kane (W): 1st OA pick
3: Nikita Kucherov (W): 2nd round pick.
4: Brad Marchand (W): 3rd round pick.
5: Artemi Panarin (W): Undrafted
6: Leon Draisaitl (W/C): 3rd OA pick. Plays predominately winger as he's played with Connor McDavid more than with any other player.
7: Sidney Crosby (C): 1st OA pick and generational talent, viewed by many as the 1st or 2nd best player in the NHL
8: Blake Wheeler (W): 5th OA pick
9: Nathan MacKinnon (C): 1st OA pick
10: Alex Ovechkin (W) 1st OA pick and viewed as the best goal scorer in his time.

So the only 3 true Centers in the top 10 in scoring overall the past 5 years are all 1st OA picks and 2 of the 3 have been considered the best player in the NHL for their time and generational talents. On top of that, most of the best players start out as C in their youth hockey/younger days and convert to winger later. I understand there are 2x the wingers vs. C, but the data doesn't support your assertion.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I guess we are still going around this circle?

Is Laine worth Necas & Pesce. yes (in a vacuum). Will the Hurricanes do it, No. There is more than the skill level of Player A and the pieces from the other team involved. As ad nauseum stated the contracts of both just make too much sense for the Canes are their competitive window. Laine's upcoming, probably very large, contract is a big detractor for the Canes. We have Hamilton and Svech to worry about. Then we only one RHD too if Pesce is gone. Add all that up and the deal isnt worth it for the Canes. Its more about Laine's whole situation than Laine himself although fans will point out flaws in other players to make their point.

Should Laine get more than a good piece and a contractual piece that makes it better for the Canes? Yea. Again the Canes are very unlikely to do a trade without it. So, Jets say no.

Could Laine score 50 with Aho and Turbo, sure. could he score 25, sure. No one can say yes to either or anything in between.

Is Laine only older that Necas by a year, yes. Does the fact that Laine has 4 years in the league and Necas have 1 alter the ideal of ceiling and potential, yes.

Can we all agree to these assumptions and let this thing go?

Reactions: Tryamw

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
He would definitely thrive on a line with Aho and Teravainen. 50 goals in 82 games would not be impossible.

He scores a lot when playing with someone who’s not complete garbage (Little).

The Jets are using him the wrong way, he never will be a good two-way player so it’s a waste of time trying to change him into that.

If you think this is true you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad