Rumor: Hurricanes interested in Laine, Jets want Pesce and Necas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
So a sticking point here seems to be the Canes lack of RD depth if they were to move Pesce.
How would the Jets adding one of DeMelo or Pionk into the deal, (with added compensation coming back from CAR), affect things?
Laine + Pionk/DeMelo for Pesce + Necas + ????

Does this make things more enticing from a Canes perspective?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
So a sticking point here seems to be the Canes lack of RD depth if they were to move Pesce.
How would the Jets adding one of DeMelo or Pionk into the deal, (with added compensation coming back from CAR), affect things?
Laine + Pionk for Pesce + Necas + ????

If the Canes are adding a 1st rounder, I would do that deal.

Reactions: BatVader

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Laine + Pionk/DeMelo for Pesce + Necas + ????

Nope, would much rather keep Pesce and Necas

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
What people fail to mention is, while Scheifele may or may not be a better center than Aho, he'd like to score 50 himself centering Laine. Aho wouldn't mind one bit scoring 20 and assisting 80 when centering Laine. Add in TT who'd be more than happy with 0+100 and feeding the puck to Laine, and I think it's safe to say Laine would easily score 50 goals per 82 gp for the Canes. Even 60, but maybe that's stretching it. What's certain is that he'd score a lot more with two playmakers vs with two goalscorers.
What has Scheifele ever done to give the impression he’s not a team player and there to win? If anyone on the jets is about winning and not personal stats it’s him.

Last edited:

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
What has Scheifele ever done to give the impression he’s not a team player and there to win? If anyone on the jets is about winning and not personal stats it’s him.
Ok?
I was talking about the supposed ''superline'' Teräväinen-Aho-Laine which would be the paradise line for Laine. I've yet to comment on Scheifele.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pesce ($4 million x 4 years) and Necas (ELC x 2 years) are two of the Canes better value contracts right now. Dealing both of them for an upcoming RFA looking to get his mega-contract (also arbitration eligible) doesn't work out Cap wise. Unless Laine comes with a pre-agreed, reasonable extension.

Pesce + one of Suzuki/Bokk/Bean/Keane
Necas + Skjei/Gardiner + a B prospect

Although I question the strategy behind building around 2 superstar wingers. And whatever Laine gets paid, Svechnikov will want more as I expect him to be the better player.

Yeah. I think more so than just "value" in a vacuum, this is the bigger problem with Carolina doing this sort of deal. Having a stud defenceman like Pesce locked up for 4 more years at a terrific value rate, is the sort of thing that really helps to build contender-level depth. As does an ELC with Necas, obviously.

Looking down the road to Svechnikov's looming extension...you have to ask how much you want to/can afford to pay for two first line wingers, and still maintain the quality depth you need to contend. Especially with Aho in the fold on his big bucks sort of deal as well. Obviously Canes management seem okay with the idea in principle, with all of the reported interest in Laine. But when you build the proposed deal such that you're not only committing to a pair of megabucks wingers, but losing a couple of "value" players on top of it...that becomes too much, and really tips the value the wrong way for them.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Yet you made a statement without any support. How about we just look at the numbers.

For the past 5 seasons, here are the NHL's top scorers:

1: Connor McDavid (C): 1st OA pick and generational talent, viewed by many as the best player in the NHL
2: Patrick Kane (W): 1st OA pick
3: Nikita Kucherov (W): 2nd round pick.
4: Brad Marchand (W): 3rd round pick.
5: Artemi Panarin (W): Undrafted
6: Leon Draisaitl (W/C): 3rd OA pick. Plays predominately winger as he's played with Connor McDavid more than with any other player.
7: Sidney Crosby (C): 1st OA pick and generational talent, viewed by many as the 1st or 2nd best player in the NHL
8: Blake Wheeler (W): 5th OA pick
9: Nathan MacKinnon (C): 1st OA pick
10: Alex Ovechkin (W) 1st OA pick and viewed as the best goal scorer in his time.

So the only 3 true Centers in the top 10 in scoring overall the past 5 years are all 1st OA picks and 2 of the 3 have been considered the best player in the NHL for their time and generational talents. On top of that, most of the best players start out as C in their youth hockey/younger days and convert to winger later. I understand there are 2x the wingers vs. C, but the data doesn't support your assertion.
And why do You think the best players start out playing centre?

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Outside fan perspective here. In a vacuum that's not an unfair price at all. But I don't know if the Canes are a better team adding Laine and losing Pesce, as his impact on that team defensively is extremely important, and I don't know if they can easily replace that

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
What people fail to mention is, while Scheifele may or may not be a better center than Aho, he'd like to score 50 himself centering Laine. Aho wouldn't mind one bit scoring 20 and assisting 80 when centering Laine. Add in TT who'd be more than happy with 0+100 and feeding the puck to Laine, and I think it's safe to say Laine would easily score 50 goals per 82 gp for the Canes. Even 60, but maybe that's stretching it. What's certain is that he'd score a lot more with two playmakers vs with two goalscorers.

Jets should trade Shiefele and Wheeler for Aho and Terra.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If anything ever gets done, likely be a quantity deal.

something like Necas, Bean and 2021 1st for Laine.

If Pesce, likely 2021 1st added or Jarvis.

can’t see a deal with both Necas and Pesce.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Outside fan perspective here. In a vacuum that's not an unfair price at all. But I don't know if the Canes are a better team adding Laine and losing Pesce, as his impact on that team defensively is extremely important, and I don't know if they can easily replace that

It’s very risk to trade Pesce as Hamilton is a ufa this summer. If he walked then they have basically no RD.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

Necas and Pesce is already a quantity deal.

IMO it'd be a really bad trade for the Jets, nevermind watering it down even more.

OsmondH

Oct 16, 2020
Lake Worth

Nothing? Are you telling me Scheifele and Connor are not more focused on scoring than Aho and TT? I'd say it's not even debatable that Laine would get a lot more chances to score with the Carolina duo who's primary task would be to set him up.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Jets should trade Shiefele and Wheeler for Aho and Terra.

I`m sure Canes jump outta joy for this proposal...

23yr old Aho 8,454M until 2024 4seasons
26yr old TT 5,4M until 2024 4seasons

for

27yr old Sheifele 6,125M until 2024 4 seasons
34yr old Wheeler 8,25M until 2024 4seasons

In a vacuum I wouldnt trade Aho for Scheifele alone. I`d say both are equally valuable to their teams. 34yr old Wheeler is on his way down and TT get better each year. Age-difference and salary also considered TT is way more valuable than Wheeler.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If the structure is as you've suggested, I would imagine that there are going to be many options better than what you've suggested. At the very least, I would imaging that if a pick is involved, the Jets would want a pick higher than the Canes have in the future. Jarvis might be enticing, but I doubt that the Canes' 2021 pick will be of that value.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

They aren't which is why they appear to be balking at this deal. Yes, Laine is the most talented player in the proposal but that doesn't make it a great deal for the Canes.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It’s very risk to trade Pesce as Hamilton is a ufa this summer. If he walked then they have basically no RD.
Maybe then the play is to speed up contract talks with Hamilton as soon as he is signed, make a trade like this.

I always figured Slavin was the real centerpiece of that D and Pesce was good but replaceable, and with a great cap hit. Not fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad