Pre-Game Talk: Hurrican... forget it, LET'S TALK LINES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not convinced Geno's shoulder is that bad. I thought he looked fine in the last 2 games. He hasn't been unleashing 1-timers from the circle on the PP, but the opportunity hasn't really been there, either. Just a ton of room for Iggy on the left side, and he's taking advantage of it.

He's been willing to shoot, but he hasn't launched one of his signature bombs. It's been more like a few Orpik '95mph' slappers.

That said, he'll try it anyway when the playoffs come. I think it's kind of like an older pitcher late in a baseball game. You've got the fastball in you, but it's going to hurt a little bit to unleash it.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Agreed. That PP will be nasty at moving the puck and one time options everywhere, but Neal isn't a great puck retriever. Kunitz would help in that complimentary role more than Neal. Oh well, I can't get everything.

I do like that we're complaining about having last year's number one goal scorer on the PP on the first power play unit. ;)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
actually wait, Kirk, did you mean Sid was net front, or just on the goal line? Because now I'm thinking of Letang and Sid being in-line with each other: Tang at the top of the umbrella and Sid in the Gretzky zone, just absolutely tearing the PK apart with quick, lateral passes.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It all depends on the set up. "right point" means nothing in an umbrella set up. It will likely be Letang up top and Geno and Iggy on the top of the circles. Sid down low to block shots off his face and Neal roaming. Once it moves to an overload, Neal will be on the side of one timers.

:laugh:

Seriously, good point . . . this can work-- and work well-- if there's a lot of movement.

As I just posted, I see Sid working that high slot position actually, where the puck comes in and goes right back out. You put him in the middle of that with all those options . . . a PK can't cheat to take every one of them away.

actually wait, Kirk, did you mean Sid was net front, or just on the goal line? Because now I'm thinking of Letang and Sid being in-line with each other: Tang at the top of the umbrella and Sid in the Gretzky zone, just absolutely tearing the PK apart with quick, lateral passes.

I was thinking he'd be doing that from the high slot. The Pens have been working a high slot player a lot more in the PP the last few weeks, no?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Amazing that Kennedy still sees PP time even in practice

This a 1000 times. Also how is bennett on the 5th line and Glass and TK on the 4th.... Ok, if they want a more physical line i can buy Glass being there. But the last games, bennett has been looking every bit as physical, grinding, and defensive responsible as Kennedy - if not more!

Hes also a 100 times better offensively than Kennedy is.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I was thinking he'd be doing that from the high slot. The Pens have been working a high slot player a lot more in the PP the last few weeks, no?

Yes, possible. Or maybe Crosby is just moving around the ice constantly. I'm not sure. As long as they keep it simple, I don't think they can mess it up with Geno, Iggy, and Sid on the ice.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
:laugh:

Seriously, good point . . . this can work-- and work well-- if there's a lot of movement.

As I just posted, I see Sid working that high slot position actually, where the puck comes in and goes right back out. You put him in the middle of that with all those options . . . a PK can't cheat to take every one of them away.

You are correct. I think we will see a lot of movement. I'm not sure how they will utilize Sid yet, but either way he will make an impact. The good thing here is Sid and Geno will likely stay on for the majority of the PP. I could see Kunitz getting on for first change which would likely be Neal. This then gives you a different dynamic for the latter half to 40 seconds.

Anyway, lots of options here as usual. Even with the top unit stacked, you can throw a second unit of Martin, Nisky, Kunitz, Bennett (if in lineup), Jokinen. That's some serious depth.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
You really can't emphasize enough how great an addition Iggy is to the powerplay. Even just having that option on the left-hand side should open up a lot of time and space for Sid and Geno.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
#Pens using a variety of different PP units at practice: 12 87 18 71 58; 19 18 48 87 58; 7 12 87 71 18 (58 switched to white jersey) -MC
http://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop/statuses/327824444963815424

Amazing that Kennedy still sees PP time even in practice

This a 1000 times. Also how is bennett on the 5th line and Glass and TK on the 4th.... Ok, if they want a more physical line i can buy Glass being there. But the last games, bennett has been looking every bit as physical, grinding, and defensive responsible as Kennedy - if not more!

Hes also a 100 times better offensively than Kennedy is.

Lundqvist has no heart...all those chest snipes turn into goals in the playoffs.

(Assuming we draw the Rangers round 1...otherwise insert "Anderson" or "Nabakov")

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, possible. Or maybe Crosby is just moving around the ice constantly. I'm not sure. As long as they keep it simple, I don't think they can mess it up with Geno, Iggy, and Sid on the ice.

You are correct. I think we will see a lot of movement. I'm not sure how they will utilize Sid yet, but either way he will make an impact. The good thing here is Sid and Geno will likely stay on for the majority of the PP. I could see Kunitz getting on for first change which would likely be Neal. This then gives you a different dynamic for the latter half to 40 seconds.

Anyway, lots of options here as usual. Even with the top unit stacked, you can throw a second unit of Martin, Nisky, Kunitz, Bennett (if in lineup), Jokinen. That's some serious depth.

Seems like we're all in agreement about how it will look in theory. But, this is Bylsma, and after the Iggy to LW **** yesterday, I've gone from distrust a few months ago to trust but verify mode about six weeks ago to full trust mode in the last week back to trust but verify mode (kind of like IcedCapp on a night where his mrs is romantic but he wonders if she's hidden a knife). :D

wytenyte

Feb 6, 2012
Toronto
Does anyone have an idea will who likely start tomorrow? Fleury or vokoun? Could vokoun get the nod to give Fleury a rest before the playoffs?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's going to be interesting for sure. And honestly, it may not matter. If the opposition is undisciplined and keeps collapsing on the RHB, the Pens will just squeak the puck across to Iggy for 1-timers. Force the opposition to play smart and then pick them apart.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Does anyone have an idea will who likely start tomorrow? Fleury or vokoun? Could vokoun get the nod to give Fleury a rest before the playoffs?

There's like four days off until the playoffs.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think Fleury gets the start. Bylsma said the plan was for him to play 3 of the final 4. Vokoun played in Ottawa so Fleury could stay at home with his wife and Bylsma said the plan hadn't changed. So Fleury is likely to play.

canucks95

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I would hope Fleury. If he does not he will be off nearly a week when the playoffs start. I do not want him that rusty for the start of the playoffs. Although we have a good backup now, Fleury is the guy we are counting on and he needs that final workout. Though I would not object to the Pens splitting the game, and having both goalies work half a game. In fact that would be ideal.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Was just checking in on if Neal would be good tomorrow guessing yes?

Also, the Blues players that suffered concussions have done this, McDonald, Steen, Perron(though I think he had one before too), not sure the reasoning but i have noticed this :P

Neal will play tomorrow

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You really can't emphasize enough how great an addition Iggy is to the powerplay. Even just having that option on the left-hand side should open up a lot of time and space for Sid and Geno.

Exactly.

Before:

---------------------------|----NET----:shakehead|-----Sid

Kunitz---------------------:shakehead-----<-------:shakehead------<------Neal

-----------------------------:shakehead----------:shakehead

----------Letang---------------------------------Geno

Now:

----------------------------|----NET----:shakehead|---<--:)Sid

:)I or K--------------------:shakehead-------<---:shakehead---------<-----:)Neal

---------------------------:shakehead------------:shakehead

-----------:)I or K------------------------------------:)Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad